Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic tiger cub seeks info on rented apartment

Options
  • 08-01-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello folks,

I am about to move into a rented apartment and would appreciate feedback on the average costs and so forth... Bear in mind that its my first time in the big bad world so sorry if these questions seem stupid it's because I really am clueless ( mammy normally handles the paperwork and dealings with the debtors!)

2 bedroom apartment
    Built in the last 7 years
    Central heating

We will both be leaving at 8am and not return until 6pm and as such the apt will not be occupied during the day, apart from weekends.

1. If I have central heating does that mean I do not run heat of those dreaded storage heaters I hear about?

2. What is the average gas/electricity roughly for such a property?

3. Is it common for new apartments to have gas?

4. Would you recommend pay as you go meters.. Do the tenants choose what company supplies or it it prearranged by the landlord ( esb/airtricity/bord gais)

If anybody could answer one or all of these question it would be extra helpful :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4. Would you recommend pay as you go meters.. Do the tenants choose what company supplies or it it prearranged by the landlord ( esb/airtricity/bord gais)
    No. The pay-as-you-go meters can be set at a higher rate by the landlord, so you end up paying lots more. You say "we"; who else is moving in with ye, and have they rented before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Apartments very often have storage heaters. Have you not viewed the apartment to check this?
    If you don't want to be hit with a big bill, you don't need the pay as you go meter, you could just pay a few quid off at the post office each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 insertjokehere

the_syco wrote: »
    No. The pay-as-you-go meters can be set at a higher rate by the landlord, so you end up paying lots more. You say "we"; who else is moving in with ye, and have they rented before?

Thanks!

Me and a pal, both have never lived alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 insertjokehere

dearg lady wrote: »
    Apartments very often have storage heaters. Have you not viewed the apartment to check this?
    If you don't want to be hit with a big bill, you don't need the pay as you go meter, you could just pay a few quid off at the post office each week.

No I'm due to view some this evening but it is my first time viewing so I want to get a rough understanding before I go!

Our intention is to do just that, pay off bill per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

dearg lady wrote: »

I pay a tenner a week off the gas and electric via on-line banking and am comfortably in credit for a 3 bed house occupied all day with at least 2 laptops on the go most of the time- so a fiver each a week should take care of your gas/leccy OP.

Edit to say: ask to see the BER - they are obliged to supply it - this will give you some idea of heating costs etc.
    Also whose name are utilities in? -Some landlords like to keep them in their name and collect the money off you. If in your name - budget for connection fees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

There's no connection fee for changing gas/electricity supplier, you may however be asked to pay a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check for wooden floors. Wooden floors and sh|te building practises equals you get to hear your neighbours farting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

the_syco wrote: »
    Check for wooden floors. Wooden floors and sh|te building practises equals you get to hear your neighbours farting.

Peeing is my favourite - the joys of apartment living.

OP Good luck and enjoy. Please though; as this is your first time out - think of you're neighbours. You seem pretty sensible, out at 8 am and so forth but when the week end comes around don't be a donkey bonnet. I'm sure you'll be the perfect neighbour - but just in case.

Advertisement