Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Raphaels Manor Celbridge

Options
  • 07-01-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone have an opinion on whether buying a house in St Raphaels Manor is a good idea? Or are there any areas of Celbridge to view or avoid? Please... :)
    I'd be commuting to Dublin city centre daily.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have lived in Castletown for nearly 7 years.
    I don't know Raphaels, but I am not aware of any part of Celbridge which should be avoided. It's a nice place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looked at buying there myself, seems a nice estate, maturing so not as many young kids around. Shop near enough that avoids going in to the town and there's schools out that side too.

One minor thing is that there's some "houses" there that aren't houses, they're effectively own door duplex apartments - they've only got one side with windows, one door, some have no street access at all. Not sure if they were even sold originally when the estate was built, may have been rented but there's a few come on the market recently. Would avoid them like the plague after having talked to people living in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

We live in this estate and there are loads of small kids. We are in one of the terrace houses and would agree about avoiding them if you can. We're on the end of block so have extra windows but not being able to park outside and lack of any real garden is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Property Searching

Thanks for all your posts, really appreciate it as it's hard to know without some real guidance i.e. not from a seller. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We rented there for 2 years and my car was broken into twice in that time... it seemed quite common. This was in Priory Square, with shared parking for the terraced style houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mloc123 wrote: »
    We rented there for 2 years and my car was broken into twice in that time... it seemed quite common. This was in Priory Square, with shared parking for the terraced style houses.

Coincidence

ooh interesting... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Talking to a friend about this area yesterday. Seems to have a lot of rental and a lot of non-Irish. Not a problem if you're not bothered by either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I have lived in Castletown for nearly 7 years.
    I don't know Raphaels, but I am not aware of any part of Celbridge which should be avoided. It's a nice place to live.

Raphaels probably IS one of the ok/better places to live in Celbridge but to say there are no areas with problems really doesnt suggest that you explored the town much .Cars being broken into/maliciously vandalised and burnt out?!High profile assault(s)!?(Practically OUTSIDE the Garda station!!!???This town like many others will spiral into a crime wave if the government continues to under resource the Gardai in order to send our money overseas to pay off private individuals debts)JUNKIES!?The town is blessed with two great schools though at either end .And Im sure 95% of the population are salt of the earth .But I would DEFINITELY choose wisely .I believe some areas are used by low life as 'short cuts' and there are one or two 'back street' areas that seem a bit dodgy even in daylight.

Thanks 2011abc, I think I'll keep looking around. Haven't decided on whether to buy or not but this info certainly scares away any day-dreaming about idyllic locations.

• Advertisement

Thanks N97 mini. I've no problem with renters or non-Irish but I value balance, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

2011abc wrote: »
    .But I would DEFINITELY choose wisely .I believe some areas are used by low life as 'short cuts' and there are one or two 'back street' areas that seem a bit dodgy even in daylight.

"Dodgy back St areas"?? I'm only in Celbridge 22 years and haven't discovered these yet and I do get around - where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Back of Main St?Lots of old terraced houses...?Once heard of an old lady who constantly had her car/house windows smashed by gurriers down near Mill heading out Donadea road.Maybe I imagined reading here about a lad being assaulted a few months back and all the damage to cars etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's a decent area. Has nearly everything you could need, decent facalities, plenty of schools, Mortorway into town. Can't see much wrong with it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Back of Main St?Lots of old terraced houses...?Once heard of an old lady who constantly had her car/house windows smashed by gurriers down near Mill heading out Donadea road.Maybe I imagined reading here about a lad being assaulted a few months back and all the damage to cars etc ?

There have been incidents like in any town but definitey nothing out of the ordinary.
    I never heard the old lady story. Not sure what back of Main St. means as no streets run parallel to back except some small access lanes and the river Liffey. The Main St. and some other roads, like most towns, have terraced houses. There was damage to cars mostly by inter traveller feuds and a garda car burnt out at halloween. Robberies and car thefts like most of the rural eastern part of the country, with low garda presence, being carried out by roving gangs. Stolen cars are usually found in Clondalkin and Tallaght ( info from Garda reports ).
    The lad that was assaulted and got his face on the front of the evening Herald did so by taking his own photo at the scene. The gang that hit him were not local. Don't know if they were ever apprehended.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

It doesn't matter where you live in this country or world in this day and age. Everyone has to take certain basic precautions to have a safe and hasslefree life. Houses must have alarms fitted and must be armed even when you are in bed asleep. A car if parked in a public place should have a good quality alarm fitted also. Thieves will generally move on to the next easy target. A dark alley should always be treated with caution when alone.

I lived in Rathmines and got a random punch in the head one night walking down the street, lived in Artane and the house got broken into, lived in Swords and my car was stolen, lived in Donabate and had crazy noisey neighbours. I'm happy out in Celbridge the last 12 years or so.

Celbridge in general is a very decent area with 99.999999% very decent people living there. There are a small minority who would be voted out of the area if life was a reality tv programme but that's just how life goes. You have to take the rough with the smooth - unfortunately we take much more notice of the rough as it tends to hit a nerve more.
    It might be worth renting a property in an area for a while before making a final decision on planting roots.

Thanks Zapata, I think what you say is true. Suburbian life is suburbian life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Raphaels probably IS one of the ok/better places to live in Celbridge but to say there are no areas with problems really doesnt suggest that you explored the town much .Cars being broken into/maliciously vandalised and burnt out?!High profile assault(s)!?(Practically OUTSIDE the Garda station!!!???This town like many others will spiral into a crime wave if the government continues to under resource the Gardai in order to send our money overseas to pay off private individuals debts)JUNKIES!?The town is blessed with two great schools though at either end .And Im sure 95% of the population are salt of the earth .But I would DEFINITELY choose wisely .I believe some areas are used by low life as 'short cuts' and there are one or two 'back street' areas that seem a bit dodgy even in daylight.

Crap like that happens everywhere in this country.
    In the last 17 years I have lived in Rathmines, Clontarf, Clondalkin, Chapelizod and Celbridge.
    Without doubt, Celbridge is streets ahead of the rest when it comes to safety and enjoying where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Yeah I read recently about a bunch of assaults and a murder in Dalkey. Now that place must be a complete dump :rolleyes:

Get a grip. Antisocial behavior happens everywhere!

Advertisement