Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Exam Failure Insurance

Options
  • 08-01-2013 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or know of anyone who had to use the insurance that they purchased? It's 50 euro for it on go4less and I think it seems a sound investment to be safe incase you fail an exam.

Is it as straight forward as they say it is on their site? Is it as simple as paying through their engine for a flight there and back to do the exam and they will reimburse you after? Is there anyway they can dispute it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

I went on a J1 in 2011 and 2012 with go4less and got the free exam failure insurance in 2011 because I booked so early. I used it in 2011 and ended up flying home from NY for a week to repeat 3 exams and flying back to NY and onto San Fran.
    I thought there would be a lot of hassle involved in getting reimbursed but it was grand. I'm lucky enough to have a helpful mother who sent off the paperwork as soon as I left for San Fran and by the time I got home 3 weeks later they had reimbursed me.

A little knowledge for anyone worried about failing or hoping to pass by compensation....
    Before I left for the states, I knew I already had repeats because I failed exams in January. When I submitted my results transcript to the insurance company, it didn't state when I got my results etc. so all they can see is that you have failed "x" number of exams.
    So for anyone who failed xmas exams, get the insurance, come home and repeat your exams, then head back over.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Lucky you what college did you go to by the way? Just had a quick check on my last years results and DCU have the date they are sent out on so I guess that wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

I went to NUI Maynooth. In Maynooth, and I imagine its the same in most colleges, they send out an end of year results transcript where to lists both the exams you did in the summer/xmas and then gives your average etc. It only names to modules and gives the result, it doesn't state whether each exam was done at xmas or summer. So when you send off your results to the insurance company, they just read through and see that you failure 1/2 or 3 exams, or whatever the case may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

Hi Dave2k10,

Did you book the J1 with USIT or another crowd?

And if you get the exam failure cover insurance, does that mean you can fly back to Ireland to sit your repeats and go back to the USA for another few weeks, at no extra cost to you? Seems too good to be true, a free return flight to the US! Well minus the hassle of sitting exams anyway and breaking up the good time you're having in the US!

I'm worried that I may have failed a Christmas exam so would that affect me in that I'd have to pay for my return flight to the US for the last few weeks of my Visa?

Advertisement