Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student/loopholes

Options
  • 08-01-2013 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am 21 will be 22 in April. I left school in 08 , went to NUIM and dropped out. I tried again in 09 and 11 to return to college but couldn't afford any fees. What I wanted to know was is there any loopholes to becoming a mature student ? I mean, I'm out of school 5 years in the summer and have been filling out x's and o's while working part time! I noticed the social welfare site says you need to be 23 on first jan 2013 while some colleges say 22 on their websites, so at 21 have I just no hope or what? Really am sick of wasting my life away! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What do you mean you tried again? You started and dropped out? I think you have to be 5 years clear to get fees paid but I'm open to correction.

Might I suggest in the mean time you decide exactly what you want to do. It seems you are a bit unsettled. Please don't take that the wrong way it took me until my thirties to decide what I wanted to do, or more accurately, to make it happen. Are there any night classes or internship you could do for you to get a feel for what ever it is you are interested in? So many people (including myself when I was your age) make the mistake of picking something they think will make them a decent living rather than something they enjoy. I've never met anyone I'd consider truly successful that wasn't doing something they enjoyed doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You will not be considered a Mature student for third level until you are aged 23 before the 1st Jan of the year of entry to the course. Which basically means that unless you turned 23 before 1st Jan 2013 you will not be considered a mature student for college entry this Sept. PLC and private colleges can consider you a Mature applicant at 21 or 22 but for the purposes of university and social welfare they go by 23.

Also Procrastastudy gave some good advice. Figuring out exactly what you want would be a really good use of your time for the next year or two. You could have a look at some FETAC level 5 /6 courses in areas you think you might like. Also you could check with your local VEC to see if they have an Adult Guidance Service that might be able to give you career advice or possibly guidance before you choose something. A complete list of AEGI services are available here: http://www.aegai.ie Look under services for the one closest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Totally agree with the above advice but one bit I wish I had a couple of years ago is, put away as much money as you can now because it can be an expensive (but a worthwhile) investment!
    Another point to make about doing a FETAC course, it will give you a very good indication if its something you would like to pursue at uni/college level.
    Also, when you say you are out of school 5 years, if you are wanting to avail of your second chance option for grant purposes, you have to be out of college 5 years, not secondary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

annex wrote: »
    Totally agree with the above advice but one bit I wish I had a couple of years ago is, put away as much money as you can now because it can be an expensive (but a worthwhile) investment!
    Another point to make about doing a FETAC course, it will give you a very good indication if its something you would like to pursue at uni/college level.
    Also, when you say you are out of school 5 years, if you are wanting to avail of your second chance option for grant purposes, you have to be out of college 5 years, not secondary school!

Thanks for the replies. I have a good idea of what I want to do now that's why I was asking. I am looking into night courses etc at the moment . One last question in response to the last post. My "free" year was 08 and I left in feb 09. 5 years after that would suggest 2014 where as I will only be 22 at Jan 1 2014, so would the second chance option apply or would I still have to be 23 as previous posters have stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

minty16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have a good idea of what I want to do now that's why I was asking. I am looking into night courses etc at the moment . One last question in response to the last post. My "free" year was 08 and I left in feb 09. 5 years after that would suggest 2014 where as I will only be 22 at Jan 1 2014, so would the second chance option apply or would I still have to be 23 as previous posters have stated?

To meet the requirements of being a mature student you have to be 23 on January 1st of the year you enter college, so from the info you have posted above you will not meet the mature requirements till 2015.

Your second chance at free fees is after a break of at least 5 years and is a separate issue to your age. However you could apply with your leaving cert results regardless of age and you may be eligible for free fees and grants depending on your personal situation in 2014.

• Advertisement
Advertisement