Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey House of Horrors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can't understand how that explosive article by Jim Cusack - published back in 2009 - wasn't the launching point for a major investigation into what can only be described as a litany of sickening child sexual abuse on a huge scale.

The Ryan report laid bare the culture of terror and abuse in Church run institutions during the mid to late 20th century - but these alleged abuses were perpetrated in State care facilities possibly right up to the turn of this century.

Time for a new TV documentary to be made - everything must be revealed before this country can really heal and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I can't understand how that explosive article by Jim Cusack - published back in 2009 - wasn't the launching point for a major investigation into what can only be described as a litany of sickening child sexual abuse on a huge scale.

Reading that Jim Cusack article, i'm really starting to lose faith in humanity.
    Makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Have any of the alleged 12 members of the paedophile ring that Cynthia Owen was abused by been named?
    If so I would be interested to see that list....and I think it only right that anyone linked to anything of this nature be named and shamed. I do understand that sometimes ppl can be falsely accused but I believe that with matters of this level of seriousness a zero tolerance policy has to be adhered to.

It makes me so sad and angry when I think of the victims, what they went through and how our country has and still is letting them down on a level that in this day and age is just not acceptable.

Are we still that afraid of the church, of the guards and of those in power who seem to be willing to allow these abusers slip through the net time after time?

I cannot understand how there are still individuals out there living their lives abroad or out of the spotlight when they have been linked to abuse cases....these people have to be made accountable.

The church are an utter disgrace with how they handle the seemingly never ending cases of sexual abuse by their clergy members.

There needs to be more action within the courts system and media coverage for victims I know I'm not the only one who is enraged every time I hear yet another report of child abuse in this country. People want to know the truth, people want to help and people want to see justice for the victims and punishment for the abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Just reading this story in the Indo again today and i literally flung the paper in anger and disgust.
    I must be a bit thick but could someone explain why the fcuk has nothing been done about this case.

Details are:
    Raped repeatedly and pregnant at least twice by her father.
    Gave birth at the age of 11. 11? Jesus fcuking Christ.
    Child stabbed 40 times with knitting needles.
    Sold for sex to local paedophile ring which apparently inclusded local Gardai.
    Covered up for decades.
    Inquest in 97 showed child was hers.

Now everyone seemingly refusing to look into it.
    Why aren't even the media looking at it.
    Shatter apparently promised a sworn investigation into it in opposition but refusing to help now.
    What's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just reading this story in the Indo again today and i literally flung the paper in anger and disgust.
    I must be a bit thick but could someone explain why the fcuk has nothing been done about this case.

Details (allegedly) are:
    Covered up for decades.

Shatter apparently promised a sworn investigation into it in opposition but refusing to help now.
    What's going on.

It's well known to a lot of people in Dalkey who made up the ring. If the people charged with investigating sex abuse are taking part in the ring well then don't expect the investigation to go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Details are:
    Covered up for decades.

What's going on.

Typical of the scumbag.

GARDAI are re-examining the Dalkey "house of horrors" case and claims that a paedophile ring allegedly led by a garda was involved in the rape and abuse of children.

The investigation is alongside another case review in regard to the paedophile Irish language figure, Domhnall O Lubhlai, who evaded imprisonment during almost 50 years of abusing boys.
    Both renewed investigations will examine claims that paedophile rapists were able to use influence to hinder scrutiny of their activities.
    In the Dalkey case, no one was held to account over the murder of the baby, who was stabbed to death and left in a bin bag in a Dun Laoghaire alleyway 40 years ago last month. The case was opened for re-examination in 1995 after the mother of the infant, Cynthia Owen, who was 11 when the baby was born, returned to Ireland seeking information. She says she was repeatedly raped by her own father, Peter Murphy, and that she was sold for sex to men including, she claimed, three gardai.
    Cynthia Owen named 12 men who called to the Murphy family house regularly and paid Peter Murphy and his wife Josie, both of whom are now dead, to rape and abuse their children. Six of the men named by Cynthia are also dead. Two of those still alive were members of the Garda.
    All the men were questioned under caution prior to an inquest in 2005 and all denied the allegations.
    A memorial service was held last month to mark what would have been the 40th birthday of the baby, posthumously named Noleen, by her mother. The 2005 inquest found that despite the loss of evidence and inconsistencies in the garda investigation at the time, Mrs Owen, who now lives in Wales, was the mother of the child when she was aged only 11.
    An inquiry into the garda 1973 murder investigation was carried out by senior counsel Patrick Gageby following the inquest, which found that "most of the surrounding documents and exhibits, some time after that date, were lost or mislaid." The missing evidence included blood samples, the bin bag and blood-stained sanitary towels and newspaper found with the baby's body. The infant had been stabbed to death with a knitting needle, which was never recovered.
    A retired Garda inspector, who was the station sergeant in Dun Laoghaire at the time, subsequently told the 2005 inquest that he had not made a statement purporting to have been made and signed by him and which was among the remaining evidence. The retired garda, Eddie Russell, has since died and no explanation was ever brought forward as to how the statement came to be in evidence.
    Despite the fact there was common local suspicion, gardai never interviewed the Murphys in 1973.

There is bad apples in every walk of life. The difference between most walks and the gaurds is that very little has been done to get rid of the bad apples in the gaurds.

From the journal.ie
    JUSTICE MINISTER ALAN Shatter is being called upon to set up a sworn inquiry into the death, 41 years ago today, of baby Noleen Murphy.
    The infant, born to an 11-year-old girl at a house in Dalkey, was stabbed with a knitting needle over 40 times and left in a laneway in Dun Laoghaire.
    Cynthia Owen, now 52, was officially named as Noleen’s mother following an inquest in 2007. No one has been held to account over her newborn daughter’s death.
    Cynthia says she was repeatedly raped by her father, Peter Murphy, from the age of about eight – and that she was also sold for sex to a group of 12 men, including three gardaí.
    She alleges that her own mother murdered Noleen, and deposited the baby’s remains in the Dun Laoghaire lane – dragging Cynthia with her on the journey.
    Petition
    Cynthia spoke at a press conference in Dublin city centre today, flanked by her solicitor, Gerry Dunne, TDs Richard Boyd Barrett and Clare Daly, and Fianna Fáil councillor Deirdre Heney.
    Later, a petition with over 12,000 names was dropped into Minister Shatter’s department on Stephen’s Green.
    The entreaty makes two distinct calls:
    • For the setting up of a public inquiry into Noleen’s murder, or for the case to be included in any Commission of Investigation arising out of senior counsel’s Sean Guerin’s examination of the dossier of files relating to cases allegedly mishandled by Gardaí.
    • For a garda cold case team to re-open Noleen’s murder file.
    Cynthia has described the initial garda investigation of the case as a ‘sham’.
    “Gardaí concluded their investigations in six weeks with the file effectively closed after that…and most of the file went missing along with all of the evidence,” her solicitor Gerry Dunne told this afternoon’s press conference.
    Review
    A review of the original 1973 investigation, carried out after the 2007 inquest by senior counsel Patrick Gageby, found that “most of the surrounding documents, some time after that date, were lost or mislaid”.
    That review, completed in October of 2007, did not recommend any further action be taken.

Cynthia has continued her calls for a full review of her case since then.
    She spoke this afternoon of her frustration and disappointment in Minister Shatter’s lack of action on her behalf.
    The Dublin South TD – who represented the Dalkey woman legally for four years in the 1990s – called for a full review of the the 1973 file while working in private practice in 2007.
    This, however, is his current official stance on the issue – detailed in response to a written Dáil question from Boyd Barrett in February of this year:
    The Deputy will be aware that this tragic case was the subject of an independent examination by a Senior Counsel who reported in 2007 and whose conclusions were accepted by the then Minister.
    Establishing an inquiry into the events in question would not be consistent with the report’s findings.
    Cynthia also described how she had been in correspondence with the Taoiseach on the issue, while he was in opposition…

Dunne told reporters today how Cynthia’s abuse had continued for three more years after Noleen’s birth.
    She later gave birth to a second child, John, whose body has never been found.
    “If the gardaí had done what they should have done then, those three years followed by the birth of John could have been avoided,” Dunne said.
    He said Cynthia Owen had “gone through 41 years of hell, made worse by a system that does not seem to care”.
    Three younger siblings – two to our knowledge and one to our belief have taken their own lives – all of them having been abused and raped. Those three younger siblings wouldn’t have suffered if the State had done what it should have done in 1973 and investigated and reported properly, and taken the children out of family home.
    Dunne called for a meeting with Shatter to discuss the case, saying that he was “simply refusing” to do anything to help Cynthia pursue justice, in spite of previously calling for a full review of the 41-year-old case.

Can I draw peoples to the fact that Miss Owens has to FIGHT for justice. Are the gaurds on this case incompetent/corrupt or supporters of child rape because this is f-ing disgusting.

Mod

Santa Cruz. Post deleted. Do no post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ireland, most corrupt child abuse facilitating country on the planet, waiting for the perps to die before admitting what happened ...each time it goes the same route...

cover ups

from the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Good ****...
    This is the first time i heard of this case!

I can't even imagine hurting my 2 year old son. It makes me really sad to think of how people can be so cruel to children!
    Sickening stuff :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

barone wrote: »
    ireland, most corrupt child abuse facilitating country on the planet
    Probably not.

People tend to forget about the victims in their rush to go on about cover-ups and Ireland being corrupt and politicians etc etc. Not sure what cover-up there is?

Probably not.

People tend to forget about the victims in their rush to go on about cover-ups and Ireland being corrupt and politicians etc etc. Not sure what cover-up there is?

A baby was stabbed to death with knitting needles, a six week investigation ensues, evidence is lost or misplaced and you can't see the cover up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No. What would the cover-up be for? We know what happened. The details emerged a good few years ago now, via an interview - think it was Susan McKay in The Sunday Tribune, or Gerry Ryan.
    I think the desperation to find a conspiracy theory in cases like this, is in poor taste.

"I want some drama, and to stick it to the government" rather than caring about the victims.

No. What would the cover-up be for? We know what happened. The details emerged a good few years ago now, via an interview - think it was Susan McKay in The Sunday Tribune, or Gerry Ryan.
    I think the desperation to find a conspiracy theory in cases like this, is in poor taste.

"I want some drama, and to stick it to the government" rather than caring about the victims.

Are you not in the least bit curious as to why the evidence is missing? The baby didn't stab itself!

I'm sorry but I don't see how investigating the case wouldn't be caring for the victims? The lack of investigation is clearly hurting the woman.

As to why there would be a cover up. Cases involving sex abuse have been covered up for decades in this country. That is an established fact. Am I to dismiss the cover ups as lies because I don't know the motive? I'll be honest I don't know the motive. I cannot fathom why evidence relating to why a baby stabbed to death would be lost.

The lady involved and a few others suspect that the gaurds were involved in a pedophile ring. I assume the gaurds in question would want to cover up this if it were true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Probably not.

The mother of the murdered baby claims that she was pimped out to some gardai, among others, as a preteen. Presumably they would be aware of other activities in the family. That would be the initial cover-up - corrupt child raping gardai investigating themselves - and subsequently the reason to bury the case in order to hide it from public opinion.

Several members of the family also committed suicide and there has been no proper investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

steddyeddy wrote: »
    As to why there would be a cover up. Cases involving sex abuse have been covered up for decades in this country. That is an established fact. Am I to dismiss the cover ups as lies because I don't know the motive? I'll be honest I don't know the motive. I cannot fathom why evidence relating to why a baby stabbed to death would be lost.

The lady involved and a few others suspect that the gaurds were involved in a pedophile ring. I assume the gaurds in question would want to cover up this if it were true?

A former senior civil servant told me that the guards suspected the late abuser priest Sean Fortune was involved in a network of abusers, some of them more senior and imminent clerics that Fortune. Legal figures also implicated allegedly. Interesting in light of recent revelation that Veronica Guerin's phone calls were being listened to. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/veronica-guerin-told-phone-conversations-about-paedophile-priest-were-taped-30159206.html

• Advertisement

porsche959 wrote: »
    A former senior civil servant told me that the guards suspected the late abuser priest Sean Fortune was involved in a network of abusers, some of them more senior and imminent that him. Legal figures also implicated allegedly. Interesting in light of recent revelation that Veronica Guerin's phone calls were being listened to. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/veronica-guerin-told-phone-conversations-about-paedophile-priest-were-taped-30159206.html

The pedophiles involved are well known around Dalkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

mhge wrote: »
    The mother of the murdered baby claims that she was pimped out to some gardai, among others, as a preteen. Presumably they would be aware of other activities in the family. That would be the initial cover-up - corrupt child raping gardai investigating themselves - and subsequently the reason to bury the case in order to hide it from public opinion.

It seems to me based on what I have read that small number of local guards were involved in the abuse and that more senior figures may have participated in the cover-up (though not the abuse per-se) with a motivation being to avoid negative media and public attention on the guards as an institution.

It is pretty obvious now to everyone except the most bovine that many guards have a "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" culture with regard to their own colleagues.

I was thinking of the Dalkey "House of Horrors" case this evening and now that there is a new Garda Commissioner, perhaps this case will finally be reopened?

Even if it uncovers a shocking extent of child abuse perpetrated by paedophile rings including Gardai, shouldn't this all now be laid out in the open?

Will Cynthia Owens and her siblings - both alive and dead - ever see justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

This article is from 10 years ago, are the parents still alive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This article is from 10 years ago, are the parents still alive ?

If there is a Hell, I can only hope the sick twisted b@stards are burning in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Both the parents died in quick succession some years ago. Cynthia Owen ("Niamh" - she has spoken publicly, so I don't see an issue with using her real name) has tried to have the case prosecuted numerous times, and has faced her family in court, but to little avail, it would seem. Nearly all the information about baby Noleen (the 1973 baby) was "lost", including most of the evidence. Over and over, Mrs. Owen has been told that there's no point in prosecuting, that there's not enough evidence, etc. She has never undergone regression therapy and various psychologists that worked with her believe that she is telling the truth.

As regards the wealthy family bit, it would seem that they (parents + nine children) were not considered desperately poor, they weren't poverty-stricken, but most of the money went on alcohol.

That first article was horrifying. The whole thing is deeply disturbing and ..well, horrifying. It seems that nothing will be done about it now, although desultory efforts seem to be made now and again. I think it's pretty damn clear that if it wasn't for Mrs. Owen's huge courage, what happened to nine children in Dalkey in the 1970s would never have gotten so much as a glance. It also seems fairly clear that there were Gardai in on the whole thing, and said guards were protecting the parents rather than those poor kids. It may well be that nothing actually -can- be done now, that there quite simply -isn't- the evidence to prosecute anyone now.

Evidence that -does- exist:
    A baby girl was found in 1973.
    She had been stabbed approximately forty times with a long, thin implement, probably a knitting needle, all over her little body.
    The case was investigated for six weeks and then shelved.
    The baby's gravesite is known.
    In 1995, the mother came forward and was proven to be related to her.

Potentially circumstantial evidence?
    Therasa's suicide letter confirms much of Cynthia's story. She was brought up as a daughter to Josie and Peter Murphy, but was the daughter of one of the oldest sisters, Margaret. I'm listing this as circumstantial because it IS still "she said".
    Two other members of the family have also committed suicide.

It's certainly strong enough to work with, I'd have thought!

But I am curious as to why DNA analysis can't be done on the poor baby now. They concluded who the mother is (and it was Mrs. Owen, or eleven-year old Sindy Murphy as she was then), but couldn't DNA analysis tell if the father was at least genetically related to the mother too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I heard a radio interview nine or ten years ago with the man who was the young boy that (along with his friend) discovered the murdered baby, in the early '70s. Poor man was choking back the tears. Seemed so traumatised by it still, 30+ years on. Three of the family have killed themselves - two of Cynthia's brothers, and her niece (brought up as her sister). The niece left a 30-page letter detailing the abuse.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/10/child-abuse-cynthia-owen-dunlaoghaire-baby?CMP=share_btn_fb

The family members who say it's a pack of lies are highly likely to be so traumatised about it that they're in denial.

Her mother's complicity in the abuse is just chilling. She told her daughter to sleep in the marital bed, and would be in another bed in the same room while her husband raped their child. It's horror movie stuff.

Seems we haven't moved on from covering up abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The pedophiles involved are well known around Dalkey.

Is it true that some of them would be household names? (Best not to name names for legal reasons-PM if you want).

• Advertisement

It's both very sad and infuriating to consider that this case may never be brought to justice. I know the abuse happened 30 to 40 years ago but still some of the perpetrators may be still be alive and at large.

The possibility of a big paedophile ring being involved is very strong - Cynthia Owen has stated on the record that, as a child, she was taken to a building in Dalkey to be abused by men other than her father. It is widely believed that the building in question was Dalkey Garda station.

It truly is a horror story.

Advertisement