Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadpool

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Teenage Mutant Negasonic
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paul68

I watched that honest trailer last night, absolutely brilliant stuff, looking forward to the next deadpool movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

gotta say i love the ad campaign for the DVD release.

theyre keeping up the "love story" angle mixing in some meatloaf music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Was in Dundrum today, not a single copy in either Tesco or HMV. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

gotta say i love the ad campaign for the DVD release.

theyre keeping up the "love story" angle mixing in some meatloaf music.

Its working too because i find myself randomly singing id do anything for love ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

e_e wrote: »
    Was in Dundrum today, not a single copy in either Tesco or HMV. :confused:

I ended up ordering it from Sky - 17e, always on the box (pretty useless) but they post the dvd out and it is to land on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Wouldn't mind but I was in a Golden Discs last Friday, saw the blu-ray and thought "nah I'll pick it up soon. It'll be everywhere." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I got this lovely thing from zavvi

13413721_550016548514747_78881173481546150_n.jpg?oh=e9e2c80b3d671b60d0c5c231a8600a96&oe=57E207A3

Must say, I liked this movie a lot more the second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

K, still can't get the Deadpool soundtrack out of my head....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It Hurts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What are the deleted scenes like?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fysh wrote: »
    What are the deleted scenes like?

There are a couple regarding a change in the script regarding a longer timeline.
    The longest involves Wade and Vanessa
    at a cancer clinic in Mexico

The others are extended scenes that were cut. Some good jokes all the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watched it, ****ing hilarious!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Deadpool was recently nominated for a Clios Key Art Award, which probably doesn't mean much to anyone outside of the movie industry. For fans of Deadpool, it does mean that we get a little more new action from the Merc With a Mouth and a great breakdown of how 20th Century Fox and the team behind Deadpool were able to so successfully market the movie. Be warned, the video is very NSFW, as it very well should be.

The video has been pulled by Fox from YouTube but it's still up here and is definitely worth a watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Two Golden Globe nominations for Ryan and the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Two Golden Globe nominations for Ryan and the film

Im delighted. Personally this was my film of the year(and I honestly expected to hate it).

I assume the above is a pisstake. 2016 has killed my sarcasm meter

*Edit* I should have quoted the post I was referring to. Ninja deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 11 midg234

thanks for that. i hadn't seen that before.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Im delighted. Personally this was my film of the year(and I honestly expected to hate it).

Could it sneak into the best picture race at Oscars, would it be the first comic book film if it does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You can't really give out about deadpool breaking the fourth wall when it's a major part of his shtick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Started watching it last week. Turned it off midway.. absolute rubbish.…using other words would have required lots of symbols replacing letters !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Fantastic movie. Reynolds was superb. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst I enjoyed the movie, it has to be the most over rated movie in quite some time.

It's a decent movie, but the level of gushing over it is confusing imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Boring, by the numbers Superhero fare which relies almost completely on it's heavy use of meta humour and 4th wall breaks .

The script is like something written by a couple of snickering 12 year olds. To be avoided.

Boring, by the numbers Superhero fare which relies almost completely on it's heavy use of meta humour and 4th wall breaks .

The script is like something written by a couple of snickering 12 year olds. To be avoided.

I'm assuming your not a deadpool comic fan? (not that you should have to be)

Tefral wrote: »

Nope, went in cold.

Tefral wrote: »

You should at least familiarise yourself with the source material before you slate it though.
    It is tonally linked to the source and, for fans of that, it hits the sweet spot for the main

It's like a criticism I heard from a person after Rouge Squadron "FFS it has talking fish people!" or course it fecking does, it is Star Wars!

• Advertisement

You should at least familiarise yourself with the source material before you slate it though.
    It is tonally linked to the source and, for fans of that, it hits the sweet spot for the main

It's like a criticism I heard from a person after Rouge Squadron "FFS it has talking fish people!" or course it fecking does, it is Star Wars!

Do i have to read Henry Hill's book before i can give an opinion on Goodfellas?

If the source material is anything like the film i think i'll pass.

Do i have to read Henry Hill's book before i can give an opinion on Goodfellas?

If the source material is anything like the film i think i'll pass.

Slating its scripts tone? Yes as it is how the character is.

It's like giving out that Ironman is a douche or that Spiderman is a wiseass, that is the character not just a film version

Slating its scripts tone? Yes as it is how the character is.

****, badly written character in any medium is still a ****, badly written character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, it's preposterous to suggest familiarity with the source material is necessary to critique or come to a conclusion on any given film. And it's not likely the conceit of Deadpool is particularly complex anyway - smarmy, fourth wall breaking Marvel anti-hero about covers the basics?

I thought this was an unfunny, derivative (even within its own wink wink nudge nudge approach), crass and just generally blandly made film, probably the worst I saw in 2016 (I did make an effort to avoid most of the garbage released, so I'm sure there was worse) - and I'm not sure how reading a few comics would change that assessment. People who didn't like the film shouldn't have to give it a pass because that's just how the character is.

To be fair, it's preposterous to suggest familiarity with the source material is necessary to critique or come to a conclusion on any given film. And it's not likely the conceit of Deadpool is particularly complex anyway - smarmy, fourth wall breaking Marvel anti-hero about covers the basics?

I thought this was an unfunny, derivative (even within its own wink wink nudge nudge approach), crass and just generally blandly made film, probably the worst I saw in 2016 (I did make an effort to avoid most of the garbage released, so I'm sure there was worse) - and I'm not sure how reading a few comics would change that assessment. People who didn't like the film shouldn't have to give it a pass because that's just how the character is.

Critique of the tone of a film as being purile (when that is the characters selling point) is crazy.

Your second paragraph is a comment on the film and is fine. There are far too many people complaining about the character and its traits, which is crazy to me.
    IT was all over the marketing, the interviews, the comics, games, cartoons, and well everywhere. Hell the leaked footage should have been enough.
    Again it is as mad to me as that Star Wars critique, for having aliens FFS.

I have to agree with Cork_Exile and trying to be objective and rule out the fact I am an avid reader of the comics, I would say yeah, you can slate the film for everything bar the way the main character acts because the source material was so closely kept to.

This film really was made for the nerds like me, it might aswell have been lifted from the pages of a comic and to be fair to Johnny and Arne if you didn't like this you'd hate the comics.

There was also a major issue where Fox really pulled the rug out from under these guys with the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Indeed. While I don't think anyone should have to be familia with the comics to enjoy the movie, it's hardly fair to go see a movie about a "smarmy, fourth wall breaking Marvel anti-hero" and complain that the movie sucked because it was about a smarmy, fourth wall breaking Marvel anti-hero. If I'm reading cork exiles point as that, then I agree.

I have several friends who go see Thor movies and say to me "I don't like superhero movies but I went to see Thor anyway and it was shît." I just don't understand that weird attitude. It's like me eating liquorice, which I abhor, just so I can tell my liquorice-loving friends that their tastes are wrong...

The point being that it was an unfunny 'smarmy 4th wall breaking anti-hero' in a film full of cardboard stock characters and meta humour. That's all there was, there's nothing else to the film.

I don't care if it was faithful to the source material or not, if you're tired of the frat-boy dick jokes and spot the trope after 5 mins this film is a long, drawn out, tedious chore to sit through that doesn't have a single idea or moment of originality of it's own.

Exhibit A for the argument "Nerds don't make good Art", see Cabin in the Woods for an example in the horror genre!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Exhibit A for the argument "Nerds don't make good Art", see Cabin in the Woods for an example in the horror genre!

Wait! Are you making this argument!? That can't be a real argument! Stephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams, Edgar Wright, Sam Raimi, never made good art? I'm not calling them nerds derisively, but I'm sure they spent their childhoods reading comics, sci-fi and playing with cameras, certainly behaviour that you could call nerdy.

Telling the origin story thru flashbacks was original, I can't remember seeing it done before, and it worked really well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jesus Christ I have never read a Deadpool comic but I knew what I was gettting from the trailers, if you didn't know the type of film Deadpool was going to be that's your own fault! To me and all of the folks who went to see it I knew exactly what I was going to watch and thankfully it lived up to the promise of the trailers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Now? This concept has been around in theatre for about 600 years....

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Wait! Are you making this argument!? That can't be a real argument! Stephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams, Edgar Wright, Sam Raimi, never made good art? I'm not calling them nerds derisively, but I'm sure they spent their childhoods reading comics, sci-fi and playing with cameras, certainly behaviour that you could call nerdy.

Telling the origin story thru flashbacks was original, I can't remember seeing it done before, and it worked really well for me.

I guess that depends on how we frame the word 'nerd'.

I'm not talking about directors who have displayed what some would consider nerdish behaviour at times, more that their output is almost entirely based on displaying that they know in minute detail whatever throwback their source material is based on, to the detriment of any originality.

Abrams imo, is a hack. Speilberg & Raimi have done some very good work.

Shaun of the Dead is alright but it's no Return of the Living Dead.

Jesus Christ I have never read a Deadpool comic but I knew what I was gettting from the trailers, if you didn't know the type of film Deadpool was going to be that's your own fault! To me and all of the folks who went to see it I knew exactly what I was going to watch and thankfully it lived up to the promise of the trailers!

I'm not giving out about the type of film it is i'm giving out that it's predictable, unfunny & repetitive.

I see quite a few films without having seen any trailers or whatever it is the scripts are based on, this doesn't stop me from forming and expressing an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Possibly my favourite superhero movie of the year, but in saying that it doesn't hold up to a second viewing. Once you know the punchlines the movie falls a bit flat, but seeing it for the first time was really fantastic.

Deadpool is on Channel 4 at 9pm on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is this deadpool pg 13 version real deadpool3.jpghttps://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/deadpool-christmas-642438

Advertisement