Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Deadpool is one of the most entertaining movies that's been released recently. I'll definitely be seeing this one again and again.
    I'm so glad it's exploding at the box office. At the moment it's looking like it could outgross all the Xmen movies and spin offs! Could be a game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So because this movie is 'satire' and taking the piss, it somehow becomes immune to criticism of that comedy and satire?
    I didnt say that. Try reading what I said.

This is apperantly doing better than the last Star Wars movie in some places!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They wanted Deadpool they gave us Deadpool ...that's the problem for I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Heading for $100m plus opening weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just back from it. Probably would have went in with some of the lowest expectations in the thread but actually thought it was ok.

As the credits say the writers are the true heroes here. I was worried that it was going to be over run with Reynolds' trademark crass humour, and it is in places, particularly in the opening 10-15 minutes (where the film is at it's weakest). But the scenes where he interacts with
    colossus, Negasonic, Blind Al, Weasel, and the taxi driver are really good and more in keeping with the Deadpool I became a big fan of.

A bit of a shame Cable didn't play the Colossus part in this as I think they could end up threading the same ground/dynamic in the sequel.

Was the final showdown supposed
    take place on a helicarrier?

Also yet another token case of changing a characters ethnicity to demonstrate your diversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just back from it. Probably would have went in with some of the lowest expectations in the thread but actually thought it was ok.

As the credits say the writers are the true heroes here. I was worried that it was going to be over run with Reynolds' trademark crass humour, and it is in places, particularly in the opening 10-15 minutes (where the film is at it's weakest). But the scenes where he interacts with
    colossus, Negasonic, Blind Al, Weasel, and the taxi driver are really good and more in keeping with the Deadpool I became a big fan of.

A bit of a shame Cable didn't play the Colossus part in this as I think they could end up threading the same ground/dynamic in the sequel.

Also yet another token case of changing a characters ethnicity to demonstrate your diversity.

Which character was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

who?

• Advertisement

Blind Al. Maybe they wanted to avoid confusion with Aunt May. /Deadpool reference.

Not a big deal, just a bugbear of mine.

Blind Al. Maybe they wanted to avoid confusion with Aunt May. /Deadpool reference.

Jeez, that didn't even occur to me, it seemed so inconsequential...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Just out of this, and I absolutely loved it! The whole screening was in hysterics. I was so looking forward to this and I wasn't let down at all. Great action, dialogue and so nice to have characters do something as simple as swear. Already looking forward to a sequel. This took the already refreshing humorous vibe to superhero movies that GotG and Ant Man brought to the table and added a whole new sweary, bloody level to it. Highly recommended from me.

Totally inconsequential.

As I said the trend of doing this as if it's a solution, rather than addressing the real problems is an annoyance of mine.

Who gives a f#ck, it plays no part in the plot.

It's not like Jonny Storm in Fan4stic and they have to retcon an adoption crap with Sue
    Or
    The gender twisting of Ghost Busters to be 'different'

You also seem to dislike Reynolds so why would you go into a Deadpool film (a character with lowbrow humour to say the least) played by Reynolds doing exactly what everyone demanded???

Can we go spoiler warning in title on this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My 5 word review:

Great fun, really enjoyed it.

Totally inconsequential.

As I said the trend of doing this as if it's a solution, rather than addressing the real problems is an annoyance of mine.

No, I meant the change of ethnicity was so inconsequential as to not even register with me. It didn't feel to me like it was done to make a point; more that they went for a good actress and didn't pay much attention to her skin colour cos who gives a fcuk.

Who gives a f#ck, it plays no part in the plot.

I do, I explained it's an annoyance of mine.
    It's not like Jonny Storm in Fan4stic and they have to retcon an adoption crap with Sue
    Or
    The gender twisting of Ghost Busters to be 'different'

I know it's not like FF. Although I did bring up the same issue in the thread about that film.
    You also seem to dislike Reynolds

Can't stand him.
    so why would you go into a Deadpool film

I like the character. My OH likes the character and Reynolds. Looking back I probably should have told her I wasn't going because someone on the Internet will get upset about it.
    (a character with lowbrow humour to say the least) played by Reynolds doing exactly what everyone demanded???

True, elements of low brow humour have always been present but have become a lot more pronounced in recent years. I wasn't demanding a Deadpool movie which was Reynolds being Reynolds with a Deadpool mask. I wanted something closer to the character from his earlier days and was glad there was bits and pieces of it in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heading for $100m plus opening weekend.

I'm very happy for Ryan Reynolds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

They wanted Deadpool they gave us Deadpool ...that's the problem for I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Seen it tonight! Brilliant!

It starts from the very first second and doesn't quit. It's sooo funny all over.

The action and story was well thought out too. There was so much in it as well. From the small details right up to the overall plot arc.

Definitely stay till the very end after all the credits... like until the lights come on and the cinema staff look uncomfortable about you being there :D

I meant that as a compliment to the movie lol, It's Deadpool from the comics and deadpool is very marmite some people will hate him and think its totally rubbish like a lot of said and others will love it like myself :)

Also on someone else's recommendation in here I watched the Voices tonight again with Reynolds and that's also brilliant :)

Deadpool made $90 million in 2 days. It's already out grossed Robocop 2014, Terminator Genisys and The Expendables 3. You know, those movies that lowered their ratings in order to make more money.

Not to mention that it's far superior to all 3 of those movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

According to Variety Deadpool is due to break Presidents Day weekend with a Projected $130M over a 4 day weekend! Fox only estimated a $60M opening weekend so it's doubled that which is just brilliant news I am delighted for the film makers and Ryan Reynolds in particular, I just hope the success doesn't put pressure on the team to get Dradpool 2 out! This was such a labour of love I would hate. For it to become just another franchise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

The whole comic book heroes genre isn't my scene at all. This film was fantastic. I'd near go see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed this and like others am delighted for all involved, It really does feel like Reynolds was born to play this character
    According to Variety Deadpool is due to break Presidents Day weekend with a Projected $130M over a 4 day weekend! Fox only estimated a $60M opening weekend so it's doubled that which is just brilliant news I am delighted for the film makers and Ryan Reynolds in particular, I just hope the success doesn't put pressure on the team to get Dradpool 2 out! This was such a labour of love I would hate. For it to become just another franchise!

I would worry for the sequel, particularly that Hollywood might give them a bigger budget and want more control. This movie clearly worked because the makers were given 40 million (is that right) and told to do what they want, increase the budget and there's more risk to the studio. I'd love to see Lord and Miller do a Deadpool movie, I know they're "so hot right now" but having seen what they did with 22 Jump Street I feel they'd be perfectly suited for Deadpool's meta style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Went to see it in The Savoy today. Showed up right as the ads were starting and the queue for tickets was out the door. Screen 1 was the fullest I've ever seen it outside of being at a festival film and from where I was sitting nobody budged until after the post-credits scene was over.

It was a fun, cheeky, (not so) guilty pleasure of an action comedy. Came out of the cinema wishing there was a sequel I could go watch right away. What it lacked in amazing direction (can we please get Edgar Wright or Gareth Evans on the sequel?) it made up for in wit, personality and heart. It doesn't feel like the riotous and rebellious highjacking of the superhero genre I was hoping for but it was a nice tangent all the same. 7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was this cut for its 16 rating? Just watching Mundane Matt's discussion about it and he mentions the Ryan Reynolds Dick and the strip club full frontal of the strippers? I didn't notice either yesterday?

• Advertisement

Was this cut for its 16 rating? Ryan Reynolds Dick and the strip club full frontal of the strippers? I didn't notice either yesterday?
    I don't think so. Full frontal Reynolds nudity during the
    fight with Francis in the burning building and the strip club had complete nudity although slightly obscured.

So because this movie is 'satire' and taking the piss, it somehow becomes immune to criticism of that comedy and satire?
    I know right? I enjoyed the film but find Dempsey's logic of "Don't like it, don't criticize it." to be utterly absurd and nonsensical.

I was really pleased that I came out of the film positive (especially since the film's R rating and huge financial takings could set a precedent for more adult comic book movies) and I'm really happy for the hardcore fans who were satisfied but I'm seeing an increasing level of condescension and over-protectiveness whenever anyone dares criticize the new big comic book adaptation. It's so bizarre, especially when it's a film that is supposed to be edgy and divisive by nature. It's a bit like making somebody marmite soup and then getting angry at them for not devouring it in one go and then gushing about it.

No joke I read a comment today getting angry at Peter Bradshaw not because he didn't like it but because he apparently liked it for the wrong reasons. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Deadpool has become the biggest R-rated opening ever at the US box office with an enormous $135m.

Ryan Reynold's Marvel blockbuster is also the largest four-day President's Day weekend debut for a movie ever after surpassing Fox's estimation of $60-$65 million.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/deadpool/news/a783470/deadpool-kicks-ass-at-the-us-box-office-with-a-huge-135m-opening-weekend/

zerks wrote: »
    Deadpool has become the biggest R-rated opening ever at the US box office with an enormous $135m.

Ryan Reynold's Marvel blockbuster is also the largest four-day President's Day weekend debut for a movie ever after surpassing Fox's estimation of $60-$65 million.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/deadpool/news/a783470/deadpool-kicks-ass-at-the-us-box-office-with-a-huge-135m-opening-weekend/

It's also the biggest opening weekend that 20th Century Fox have ever had, you know, the same company that became PG13 obsessed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ps3lover wrote: »
    It's also the biggest opening weekend that 20th Century Fox have ever had, you know, the same company that became PG13 obsessed!

Isn't it great that they are realising adults will go to movies in numbers too,about time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

7 out of 10 brother !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

zerks wrote: »
    Isn't it great that they are realising adults will go to movies in numbers too,about time.

Yeah right up until some bozo in marketing gets the idea "if we make the sequel PG even more people will see it" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

$135M opening !

tumblr_inline_o2abu49EJ51u15h5l_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

armaghlad wrote: »
    The whole comic book heroes genre isn't my scene at all. This film was fantastic. I'd near go see it again.

This is my summary to a tee also.
    Whilst I'm not a huge fan of comic book movies, I do go to see (most of) them for the spectacle they are, but I loved this.

The OH didn't know what was happening at the start, the part where Deadpool directly addresses the audience saying "your BF told you this was a superhero hero yet here I am turning this guy into a shishkebab" spoke to her directly apparently!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I enjoyed this as light action fun. There are films that have done the action better (a lot of the opening car chase is similar to the car chase in The Raid 2, but less effective - until the crash dials things up), but unlike the MCU films I've seen Deadpool didn't leave me bored for the entire third act. The humour was mostly pretty good, but that's partly because I'm a sucker for convoluted swearing. And the visual style mostly worked for me.

The most helpful comment I've seen about it is that it's from the writers of Zombieland and has a similar tone, so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$260m worldwide opening weekend!

Delighted for all involved in film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed it a lot. The origin part went on too long, Deadpool wasn't nearly as crazy as I thought he'd be, and the Stan Lee cameo was weak considering the opportunity they had for Deadpool to break the 4th wall with him and really give something memorable, but most of the humour was on point, most of the action scenes were well done, the performances were great (Reynolds in particular who nailed the character) and it could have easily failed, but it didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Very Enjoyable film possible only weakenss was the final fight at the end was a bit boring. Reynolds and Baccarin and the actor playing the bar owner were very good. Definitely funnier than the Guartdians of the Galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seen it yesterday, loved it. Absolutely lived up to my expectations of it.
    After credits scene was great as well, although most of the cinema left before it came on, saps.

Delighted it's doing so well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

$260m worldwide opening weekend!

Delighted for all involved in film.

That is a crazy box office take. great to see it doing well, I live in hope that we someday get a wolverine / punisher crossover embracing the full violence that they're capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That is a crazy box office take. great to see it doing well, I live in hope that we someday get a wolverine / punisher crossover embracing the full violence that they're capable of.

Punisher War Zone has the max comic series levels of violence.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Venom wrote: »
    Punisher War Zone has the max comic series levels of violence.

Which didn't stop it from being a terrible film.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Great movie.

Am I the only one that can see Paul O'Connell under that mask?

Other than that distraction best movie of the year, so far, for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Not even going to pretend to be a Deadpool fan, just have a passing interest in all comic book movies, but knew a little bit about the Deadpool character before seeing, never shuts up, breaks 4th wall, aware he is in a comic, etc.

All I can say is wow, that was great, even the missus loved it. She was laughing away at how girly/wimpy Deadpool was in certain scenes. :pac:

I thought it was great, I liked the smaller scale of it and the humour, I honestly thought before going to see that Ryan Reynolds talking nonstop for over 100 could irritate me, nevermind herself, but it really worked.

Delighted the film is doing so well and we might get some better superhero films as as result or at least more Deadpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fysh wrote: »
    The most helpful comment I've seen about it is that it's from the writers of Zombieland and has a similar tone, so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

I'm on the fence about whether I'll go to see this. Someone said if I didn't enjoy Kingsman (which I didn't really) I won't like this one.

However I did enjoy Zombieland a lot so maybe I'll give it a look.

Advertisement