Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

he is not eating?

• 08-01-2013 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Ok, maybe I am too anxious?

Sunday we went to the park and was a bit scary for my puppy as he met some big dogs.
    When we came back he was sick in the car as always and at home sleeping and sleeping.
    I came back in the evening and he didn't want to eat... I gave him a bit of wet food (good quality), he ate it and then he has been sick vomiting all.

Yesterday he didn't want his breakfast.
    He had some of his kibbles at lunch, but not that happy.
    In the evening same thing.
    He was a bit sad, too quiet during the day... but the crazy puppy again in the evening.

We did some training with good treats and he ate them all happy.

This morning again :(
    He doesn't want his breakfast.

I don't want to give him my food or wet food because I don't understand if he is just trying me to see if i give him something better?
    He is not sick anymore and poop is ok..

I was thinking to wait a bit and see if it changes?

He always liked his food until now, is puppy science hill plan--

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

ah and he had his de worming tablet 3 weeks ago and there were worms..
    I am supposed to give him another one in one week.
    Could be that??
    I haven't seen worms though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

He may just not be hungry! Both my dogs some times do not eat all day long even after a walk!

Just like you some times may not be hungry at dinner time, the same applies to your dog.

The getting sick I. The car thing as you saw always happens I would try concentrate on. Take him in very short journeys, or even just sit in the driveway with the engine running and not driving, he must be very nervous/anxious to get out of the car.

I wouldn't say meeting other big dogs has anything to do with him not eating. It is possible he picked up something and ate it in the dog park but you say his poo is normal.

If he doesn't want his food then take it away until later on today, maybe until 12 or so if you are still at home. I'm sure he will want it by then!

jsabina wrote: »
    ah and he had his de worming tablet 3 weeks ago and there were worms..
    I am supposed to give him another one in one week.
    Could be that??
    I haven't seen worms though

Didn't see this until I had my other post written.

Personally I would be worming again
    (I didn't know he had worms previously)

Thanks! I am working for the car problem.
    Sometimes we go out and sit in the car, I leave him explore.
    We go to the park or to friends maybe 2-3 times a week in the car and every journey he has been sick :(
    I don't know if he is really scared.. obviously he doesn't love it.
    He has no problems to get in his crate in the car... the first 10 minutes are ok... then he starts getting sick... :(

Didn't see this until I had my other post written.

Personally I would be worming again
    (I didn't know he had worms previously)

Yep unfortunately as pup he had, he has never been dewormed by the owner..
    I was supposed to do that in 1 week, the vet said once a month for 6 months.
    Just a question... where can I find the tablets? In a chemist?
    thanks

• Advertisement

Your living in Ongar if I remember correctly, go to hillcrest vets in Coolmine. (Drive down the main Ongar road towarfs the shopping centre turn right at power city roundabout and then at the next roundabout turn left. It's on the right. They will have them. For most tablets it's one tablet per 10kg weight of dog.

Again about the sick in the car, if your planning on going for a walk in the park or out with him in the car the #1 price of advice I can give is do not feed him for at least an hour before you go out with him.

(I say an hour for your dog because he has an issue with getting sick all the time. I never feed my own who don't get sick at least 30 mins before we go out either in the car or walking)

**it doesn't have to be that vets, your own one will do if this is not where you brought him, they will weigh him and tell you how many tablets you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Jsabina, my dog was travel sick until he was 6 months old (sigh). It didn't matter how slowly I drove, or how many windows I had open for fresh air, nothing worked except regular driving until he grew used to it. Now, coming up to ten months, he can go any where in the car for any distance. It just takes time, and lots of patience.

Jsabina, my dog was travel sick until he was 6 months old (sigh). It didn't matter how slowly I drove, or how many windows I had open for fresh air, nothing worked except regular driving until he grew used to it. Now, coming up to ten months, he can go any where in the car for any distance. It just takes time, and lots of patience.

Thanks! I've read about that!
    For this reason I am keeping driving him around..
    I open the window, I give him the kong, I try to make him used, I drive slowly I don't give food for hours before.. he still is sick after a while..
    I think it's the movement.
    The only thing I haven't tried is to have him in front.
    But the crate it's too big and I don't want to put him with the dog seatbell (how is called..) ... because if he will get sick... mmmhhhhh would be difficult to clean :P

Let's hope it will change..
    and let's hope he will eat today :)

so in the chemistry for humans they don't sell medicines for dogs??
    (in italy it works in this way)

thanks!

No they don't sell worming tablets in ye chemist.

You could go to pet stop in the Blanchardstown shopping centre if you prefer!

It wouldn't be very safe to have the dog up front with you in the car when driving.

No they don't sell worming tablets in ye chemist.

You could go to pet stop in the Blanchardstown shopping centre if you prefer!

It wouldn't be very safe to have the dog up front with you in the car when driving.

Ok I'll go to the vet then :)

In the front seat I was thinking with a crate or the dog things to keep him safe..
    but not ok for the cleaning :P

• Advertisement

Ok I'll go to the vet then :)

In the front seat I was thinking with a crate or the dog things to keep him safe..
    but not ok for the cleaning :P

No especially not with a crate, what happens if you crash, the airbag would be obstructed by the crate, definitely not safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Isn't he a setter cross? My friend's setter used to get sick like that in the car :( He doesn't get sick anymore but still doesn't like it that much - he's really improved since they started coming with in my car once a week to the park (Santry) where he has my dog for company in the back - my dog LOVES the car but didn't at first. He used to cry as a puppy but lots if short trips - eg drive to a petshop and take him in to get a treat etc, collect the takeaway and bring the puppy - you'll have to eat the takeaway but it's that's the kind of sacrifice you make when getting a pet ;):p I started having somebody else drive and sitting in the back with the pup..
    For being off his food - tbh for me that's a sign something is wrong because my dog is a greedy pig lol...but I don't have any experience with worms? When my guy is sick I'd fast him for the day and try him with something bland like mashed potato the next day. As long as he's drinking and not lethargic I wouldn't worry too much about my guy - but a puppy can go downhill fast so keep a close eye on him.

:(
    poor puppy
    Yes he is a setter cross.

If today he will not eat again maybe tomorrow I will bring him to the vet..
    Better to check him once more than once less...
    Anyway I will learn something..
    I am so worried because he is a puppy, with my previous dog it happened sometimes, but when he was adult and it's different.

I work during the day and I go home at lunch break.
    He is drinking and during the day he was a bit lethargic, but in the evening he was ok again...
    Let's see in few hours how he is today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of my dogs used to always get sick in the car as a pup. The vet told us to try Sea Legs (you'll get it any chemist), maybe half or even a quarter tablet 15 mins before we left. We tried this and it worked, then gradually weened her off them. She LOVES the car now.

She just needed something to help her get over her initial anxiety. And time.

Oh, maybe try the seat belt too. Perhaps he feels contained in the crate?

Ok I went home for lunch.
    He jumped on me all happy!
    He ate the treats in the kong and a bit of kibbles from the kibble-dispenser-ball :P (just a bit)
    We went for a walk and he was playing all happy with a dog met there..
    We came back and I tried to give him some food... not eating from his bowl he had some from my hands... but not really interested..

mmmhhh

I am thinking to go to the vet to buy the deworming tablets and get him checked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ok I went home for lunch.
    He jumped on me all happy!
    He ate the treats in the kong and a bit of kibbles from the kibble-dispenser-ball :P (just a bit)
    We went for a walk and he was playing all happy with a dog met there..
    We came back and I tried to give him some food... not eating from his bowl he had some from my hands... but not really interested..

mmmhhh

I am thinking to go to the vet to buy the deworming tablets and get him checked?
    For ease of mind if nothing else it's probably worth it. That way you know he's healthy (or if not have a professional oppinion on the matter) and that's worth the cost most times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

For a start, stop with the treats full stop. Only feed his food in his bowl, DO not feed from the hand!! This only encourages fussy eating. The dog is well able to eat by himself out of his bowl.

It sounds like he is acting up and becoming fussy and you need to stop that straight away.

Offer his food at his normal mealtimes, no kongs, treats etc, only his meal. If he doesnt eat, take it away and do not offer anything until his next meal. He will soon realise that if he doesnt eat his dinner, he gets nothing else.

andreac wrote: »
    For a start, stop with the treats full stop. Only feed his food in his bowl, DO not feed from the hand!! This only encourages fussy eating. The dog is well able to eat by himself out of his bowl.

It sounds like he is acting up and becoming fussy and you need to stop that straight away.

Offer his food at his normal mealtimes, no kongs, treats etc, only his meal. If he doesnt eat, take it away and do not offer anything until his next meal. He will soon realise that if he doesnt eat his dinner, he gets nothing else.

I did that with my adult dog..
    I leave him the kong when I am not at home as I work all day..
    Should I stop that?
    Before he was eating always from the bowl.. it's only today that I used this tecnique..
    Ok, let's see how is going..

I took an appointment with the vet for tomorrow.
    They were not scared on the phone, so I suppose it's ok.
    He looks happy..
    I gave him food now for dinner in the bowl and nothing, but he has some kibbles (the same!!) in a plastic toy and he ate them.. it's not a real lunch but it's something.
    Maybe he likes to work for the food :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My dog was always carsick when she was young . One day someone suggested putting a coushin /pillow in her crate for her to sit on during car drives. I did, a nice flat fat pillow ; and that day she stopped being carsick & has never been carsick since!!

Don't know why!!

She sat up on it as happy as a little lamb and that was the end of it!!

Maybe try that too : )

The long always kept mine happy & amused when I went out. They are so easily amused & don't have tv/Internet/phone/books eyc. Why not let them have something safe & fun & nice to play with when you are out.

• Advertisement

I will try for the car problem :)

We have been to the vet.
    He told that jago looks fine, maybe a bug..
    He gave him an injection of "anti emetic??" and told me to bring him back friday if is not going better.
    He gave me some specific food for gastric problems.. wet food in can.
    Came back home I gave him this food and he ate it all happy and looking for more and more.. I gave him his kibbles and he didn't want them...

mmmmhhhhhh

not sure here what's the problem... if he is picky can he stay THREE days without eating just to have the food he wants??? mmmh

:)
    anyway for these days he is on this wet specific food from the vet, lucky puppy :) then we will see..

If he is eating the wet stuff no problem at all then as Andrea has already said you have to completely cut out all treats Ni matter what. Just out them away in the press for at least a couple of weeks.

He will not eat the normal food because you have probably just been giving him too many nice tasty treats!

The wet food now is another tasty treat in his eyes and shows you there is nothing wrong with his appetite.

Good to hear all is ok with him!

uhm uhm, what you think I should do to keep him busy while I am at work if not the kong?

The vet told me to give him the wet nice food for few days... before to go back to his normal..
    After these days if he is eating I will not worry anymore if he is not eating it's just because he doesn't want, grrr :)

uhm uhm, what you think I should do to keep him busy while I am at work if not the kong?

The vet told me to give him the wet nice food for few days... before to go back to his normal..
    After these days if he is eating I will not worry anymore if he is not eating it's just because he doesn't want, grrr :)

The knog is ok to give him while at work to keep him entertained.

What I would do is fill the kong tonight with the wet food and put it into the freezer overnight tonight. Then in the morning dont give him a full portion of the wet food. just under the full portion with the kong making up the remainder.

He will love his new frozen kong treat which is actually only his breakfast but this will take him hours to finish off!

Just an update :D
    Jago was eating all happy the wet food and not eating at all the fantastic kibbles.
    I was not happy about that because I prefer him to eat the kibbles and not be picky!!
    So... if I put the kibbles in warm water and leave them for at least 30 minutes he will eat them!!
    Not crazy for them as for the canned food, but he eats..
    Maybe the teething?? kibbles too hard?
    So well, everything seems to be sorted now :)
    thanks for all the advices!

Advertisement