Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sim only deal available currently? Unlimited data?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

For the past year I've had a fantastic sim-only deal with meteor which was 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data per month, free meteor-to-meteor texts and calls for 15 euro per month, it was a limited offer in nov 2011 for existing pay as you go customers to switch to billpay.

My contract is now finished and I believe the same deal would now cost me 30 euro per month.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 5 and would really love unlimited data, that is more important to me than any amount of minutes/texts.
    Is unlimited data available with any networks currently?

I know I'll never get as cheap a deal as I had again but is there anything cheaper/better than 30 euro per month?

I have very bad previous experience with 3 (for internet) and O2 (billpay contract) who both had horrendous customer service when problems occurred.

I'm currently overseas so can't easily check but return to Ireland in the coming weeks and will need a new phone contract immediately.

Any opinions much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

No networks will offer unlimited data, fair usage policies still apply.

eMobile offer a rolling 30-day SIM only plan with unlimited calls, txts and 15GB data for €32/month.
    http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/plans/postpay/detailsCallTextBrowse/?gid=48

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Can you not stay on your current price plan even if out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If it's unlocked buy a 3Pay (pay as you go) sim. One €20 top-up per month will get you unlimited weekend calls to any network, unlimited texts 24/7 to any network, unlimited calls 24/7 to other 3 numbers and crucially unlimited data (up to 15gb fair usage, which you'll never come near). The €20 credit itself should be more than enough to cover your Mon-Friday calls to non 3 numbers, which with everything else free is all you can actually spend the credit on.

With an unlocked phone you're free of the need to be tied to a contract, where half of your bill is paying for the handset. I'm not sure what 3's sim only contract works out at with the same allowances, but I don't think it could be cheaper than their 3Pay offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Curious too as why you can't stay with your existing contract. Is it because you canceled it when you left the country? I'm on the 15 euro meteor deal your on about and about 9 months into it but have every intention of retaining it after the year is up if it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Tesco mobile are doing a deal at €35 for unlimited calls and text to any network and 15gb usage all on o2 network so coverage is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Some great info here which I really appreciate!

As far as I was aware it was only a 12 month contract on the existing price plan and it was then going to return to the normal undiscounted price of 30 euro per month.

I don't have access to the paperwork now as I'm abroad but I'm almost certain that's what it said in the small print when I signed up.

I've had no problems with meteor apart from fairly patchy coverage at times as I'm from the West, but I have gone over my data allowance most months even when trying my best to stay below 1GB.

15GB of data would be fantastic and very appealing, I imagine that's the best I'd get.

I'll look into the suggestions here further. Thanks again!

Advertisement