Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist March - MOD WARNING POST #1

Options
  • 08-01-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

It's on this weekend, no?

If so does anyone intend to head in, to peacefuly show support against their "demands"

### MOD WARNING ###

I am OK for this thread to remain open only if it is kept civil.

No name-calling, no religious/cultural slagging, etc.

There will be no further warnings.

Anyone who ignores this will receive a lengthy ban.

If you have an issue with a post - use the Report Post function & do not comment on-thread as this only drags the thread off topic.

tHB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

why bother go in? your only giving that shower of **** what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

There only intention is to stir **** up with dissident republicans...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is no way that any kind of counter-protest will remain peaceful. If you really want to make a point, just don't rise to the bait and stay at home.

If they were to march down streets where nobody seemed to give a crap or which were empty, that would be the biggest blow to their cause. Streets crammed with counter protestors and angry taunts is exactly the reaction they're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

how is it civil when posters on here have already called them ****?

There are no "demands" It is a light hearted tongue in cheek request that the irish flag is taken down from buildings in dublin to highlight how it is unfair that in Belfast being part of the UK they are not allowed to fly the Union flag.

There are a lot of protestants working and living in Dublin that find this intimidating when they read/hear all the plastic keyboard warriors typing their nonsense on here.

Personally I think it is a pointless protest but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

I can't believe it's been given the go ahead, surely their was some legislation that could have been put into place. We all know why they're coming down. I mean they're still rioting as we speak.

When I lived in London plenty of times the EDL or pro Islam groups were banned from protesting as it was an obvious intention to provoke.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of protestants working and living in Dublin that find this intimidating when they read/hear all the plastic keyboard warriors typing their nonsense on here.
    I doubt British protestants living and working in Dublin feel like criticism of sectarian loyalists is in any way an attack on them. Simply sharing the same religion and nationality doesn't make you part of the same group.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

There are no "demands" It is a light hearted tongue in cheek request that the irish flag is taken down from buildings in dublin to highlight how it is unfair that in Belfast being part of the UK they are not allowed to fly the Union flag.

"Keyboard warriors" one person said ****. I mean really, come on. Don't be pulling the sympathy cards just yet. I don't think Protestants will be fleeing the republic from that.

People are entitled to they're opinion. As long as its "civil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

That is very true. However alot of people down here get confused between loyalism and being a protestant. Listening to Adrian Kennedy show last night backs this up 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

afaik the Tricolour will not be flying on Saturday when they are down, so they are coming to say "well you take your flag down too then ..... oh wait a minute ... it is down... ah well".

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

The tricolour isnt flown 365 days a year, their light hearted tongue in cheek request makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Im finding it hard to understand the relevance of it all:

A loyalist group are heading for, in their eyes, a different country to show how they feel in relation to having their flag removed. The Irish Government had no say in the removal of the flag from Belfast City Hall, so what exactly is the point, would they not just head for Palais Bourbon and get a nice wkend away in the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

There's no guarantee the march will even happen. As of Sunday, Willie Frazer was still only 'considering' it.

Top loyalist still considering flag protest down south

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's no guarantee the march will even happen. As of Sunday, Willie Frazer was still only 'considering' it.

Top loyalist still considering flag protest down south
    Sounds like he may have copped that the fleg won't be up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I could be wrong but listening to him interview on newstalk yesterday I dont recall him using the word 'considering'

He defo said there were 3 bus loads coming down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Im replying to your responses, how is this dragging up things up

Im perfectly calm, why do think otherwise?

Enjoy Saturday

If you have a problem with a post, report it, don't discuss it on thread. Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

In my opinion this is being organised to get a reaction and take the heat off their own rioting elements, and regrettably I fear they will get one.

I for one will be keeping my distance. I fear that its going to attract the very worst elements of both sides of the "debate"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Best thing to do is either ignore them or if anybody wishes to protest, dress up as clowns and leprechauns and walk alongside them skipping and jumping and having a laugh, therefore making it into a complete farce.

There is absolutely no need for violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

There are lots of protestants living in the Republic. By and large they think the northern protestants are a completely different breed and nothing whatsoever to do with them (and they cringe when the nordies try to claim them as somehow their kindred spirits). They are not British, they are Irish. They do not identify in any way with protestants in the North, most of whom seem to follow a more 'Scottish' brand of protestantism.

Speaking as one, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

RoboRat wrote: »
    Best thing to do is either ignore them or if anybody wishes to protest, dress up as clowns and leprechauns and walk alongside them skipping and jumping and having a laugh, therefore making it into a complete farce.

There is absolutely no need for violence.

I'm home this weekend for the first time in 6 months and have been planning a day/night in "town" on Saturday for several weeks now. I don't plan on being anywhere near this farce but you know how scobe-ism becomes airborne when there's trouble about so I won't lie that my concern meter is slightly up to it's first notch.

I'm quoting the above as I think it's a quality idea and it would be hilarious if it happened

Glinda wrote: »
    There are lots of protestants living in the Republic. By and large they think the northern protestants are a completely different breed and nothing whatsoever to do with them (and they cringe when the nordies try to claim them as somehow their kindred spirits). They are not British, they are Irish. They do not identify in any way with protestants in the North, most of whom seem to follow a more 'Scottish' brand of protestantism.

Speaking as one, like.

A few years back, I listened to 2 Protestants I work with have an argument/debate about the Irish tricolour.

One was born and bred in NI, the other in Donegal.

The NI one (a rather stuck in his ways kinda guy) was arguing that the Union flag was 'the flag' of the Donegal man, and that he was really British. Of course he laughed this off and said that the tricolour was his countrys flag and how he had zero allegiance to the Union Flag, the Queen or anything British. Of course the NI guy could not understand how a Protestant could show allegiance to the evil tricolour (for that is how a flag has become demonised in the North (both flags are seen as something evil btw, something to burn or show no respect to)).

It made for interesting viewing.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm quoting the above as I think it's a quality idea and it would be hilarious if it happened

Actually, even better would be is everyone dressed up ala Father Ted and Dougal and had their 'Down with this sort of thing' placards... Would make international news for all the right reasons!

FatherTedCarefulNow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I've no problem with them protesting peacefully down here, it's just that this march will attract scummers from all over Dublin, who haven't got a clue about Northern politics, and no view on any issues, but will just look for an oppertunity to fukk bricks and bottles at ANYONE who happens to be in the vicinity on Saturday.
    Perhaps this is the outcome the organisers are looking for and unfortunately and sadly inevitebly, that's what they're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Tough call that is.

Allowing them marching through Dublin gives them a good platform to put themselves in the victim's role, like in 'Why did they put our flag down, we never caused any harm'.

Banning the march could give them the opportunity, to put themselves into the victim's role once again, like in 'first they oppress us in the North, now they oppress us in the South, freedom of speech, ect, pp.

Why not finding a compromise? Let them hold a vigil or something...somewhere in an open field, far away from civilisation ;)

Or just ignore them. Everyone go about their normal business, RTE don't bother sending any cameras down, don't report it in the papers the next day. That's probably a bit ambitious though. The media love whipping up a good hate frenzy.

It's the orange parades in another guise. A deliberate attempt to incite anger and accomplish nothing. It should be denied the oxygen of publicity.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of calling for them to be ignored while commenting on the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

That is very true. However alot of people down here get confused between loyalism and being a protestant. Listening to Adrian Kennedy show last night backs this up 100%

Ah you see here's where you went wrong !

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i believe someone like frazier only intends to cause trouble and therefore should be arrested for inciting hatred when he crosses the border.
    you only have to look at some of the things he has said to understand his thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I've no problem with them protesting peacefully down here, it's just that this march will attract scummers from all over Dublin, who haven't got a clue about Northern politics, and no view on any issues, but will just look for an oppertunity to fukk bricks and bottles at ANYONE who happens to be in the vicinity on Saturday.
    Perhaps this is the outcome the organisers are looking for and unfortunately and sadly inevitebly, that's what they're going to get.

Strange as it might sound but "Scummers" as you call them are not solely from Dublin

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

i believe someone like frazier only intends to cause trouble and therefore should be arrested for inciting hatred when he crosses the border.
    you only have to look at some of the things he has said to understand his thinking

But would that not turn him into a martyr in the eyes of his followers? Don't know, but the usual 'freedom of speech' pops into my mind.

He might be a bit of a nutcase alright, but he is not stupid, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

uch wrote: »
    Strange as it might sound but "Scummers" as you call them are not solely from Dublin

He didn't say they were.

The protest in the end will probably have nothing to do with flags. The people who live near me stuck up the tricolour in order to support the Irish team at Euro 2012. The flags remain to this day. These patriots may misread/ not read at all what the protest is going to be about and arrive down at the protest armed with some fightlust, some dutch courage and a few bricks. It gives an angry lower class an opportunity to express their views which is rarely, if ever a good thing. Throw in some religion, some anglophobic history, the return of paramilitary groups, frustration and confusion about the recession, some celtic jerseys and a perceived enemy in Frazer and I think we're primed for something bad.

• Advertisement

Why do I get the feeling it will all pass off peacefully and it we will all have been worrying for nothing?

If the Guards shepherd the protestors well, and keep any locals well back, then it should go without a hitch.;)

Advertisement