Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist March - MOD WARNING POST #1

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Lars1916 wrote: »

But would that not turn him into a martyr in the eyes of his followers? Don't know, but the usual 'freedom of speech' pops into my mind.

He might be a bit of a nutcase alright, but he is not stupid, imo
    I have to take exception to that. A quick search and it turns up the most idiotic statements. The man is a complete idiot. He cant open his mouth without contradicting himself. He cant articulate even the most basic premise of what he is trying to achieve as he is winging it. The only worry is that he has support from those that are even more deluded than himself and could actually end up in the political spehere making a nusience of himself on an established platform

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

uch wrote: »
    Strange as it might sound but "Scummers" as you call them are not solely from Dublin

Ah yes, but the protest is solely in Dublin and will by and large attract a shower of oppertunistic scummers from Dublin.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have to take exception to that. A quick search and it turns up the most idiotic statements. The man is a complete idiot. He cant open his mouth without contradicting himself. He cant articulate even the most basic premise of what he is trying to achieve as he is winging it. The only worry is that he has support from those that are even more deluded than himself and could actually end up in the political spehere making a nusience of himself on an established platform

I guess, you a right there, but still...for those, who don't have a deep insight into the whole topic, he appears to be sort of clever, when he appears on the telly, a bit whiny alright, but clever in terms of not ranting like an idiot, winding up his followers with 'No surrender' and other famous quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Could we get the chippers to fly the Italian flag over their shops on Saturday, that would surely drive Frazer over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Like many others I'd say Frazer is bringing this protest down in the hope that it will provoke the same kind of incident that happened the last time he tried having a protest in Dublin.

Now I think it would be great if it was greeted with a counter protest that would serve to ridicule him for his stupid idea (the 'Careful Now Down With That Sort of Thing' idea sounds great), but sadly I fear that there are certain members of Dublin's population who wouldn't have quite as good an appreciation for irony as I do and who would give Frazer exactly what he wants (i.e. Love Ulster mk2).

Another concern would be that Frazer mightn't exactly appreciate having the piss ripped out of him in such a manner and that we get violence instigated by the Loyalist protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The thing I don't get about this whole protest - and indeed the media coverage of it, is that the changes voted in by Belfast City council simply bring City Hall into line with EVERY other public building in the UK as regards the flying of the flag..

Belfast city hall was the only building to fly the flag every day and the changes will simply mean that they fly the flag on the same number of days (and most likely the exact same days) as every other building in the UK.

So they will have their flag just as often as every other building , not just in NI but everywhere else..

I only discovered this in a piece in the newspaper the other day as all the media coverage gives the impression that the changes are uniquely a sop to republicans in Belfast when that's not the case at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

HarrisonLennon banned for a week for being uncivil.
    Many other off-topic posts deleted.
    If this keeps up the thread will be locked - I have better things to be doing with my time than cleaning up this thread.

If ye want to act the bollix - take it to another forum or preferably another site.

tHB

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The thing I don't get about this whole protest - and indeed the media coverage of it, is that the changes voted in by Belfast City council simply bring City Hall into line with EVERY other public building in the UK as regards the flying of the flag..

Belfast city hall was the only building to fly the flag every day and the changes will simply mean that they fly the flag on the same number of days (and most likely the exact same days) as every other building in the UK.

So they will have their flag just as often as every other building , not just in NI but everywhere else..

I only discovered this in a piece in the newspaper the other day as all the media coverage gives the impression that the changes are uniquely a sop to republicans in Belfast when that's not the case at all..

It's almost the same as the rest of the UK, it seems in that in the UK you have to fly a 'National' flag over your public buildings every day. Now it seems that a 'National' flag can be one of the Union Jack, the English flag, the Scottish flag or the Welsh flag.

So in London you can fly the Union Jack or the English flag.
    In Edinburgh you can fly the Union Jack or the Scottish flag.
    In Cardiff you can fly the Union Jack or the Welsh flag.
    But in Belfast you can only fly the Union Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My best friend is exactly the type to be wound up by this sort of protest, but not the sort to throw bricks at protesters. In his eyes, if we do nothing and ignore them; we will be seen as cowards. I don't get this way of thinking. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling it will all pass off peacefully and it we will all have been worrying for nothing?

He won't turn up. This guy is the Walter Mitty of loyalism, and is a laughing stock within the community he claims to represent. He is also the guy who last year claimed on his facebook page that a Catholic primary school in the North was the headquarters of IRA youth, and that the kids were probably being trained in the use of weapons. He based his claim on the "fact" that there was a tri-colour flying at the school. It turned out the flag was in fact the Italian flag, put up the celebrate a visit from Italian children.
    To much of this guy's idiocy to go through, but much of it is here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pithater1 wrote: »
    It's almost the same as the rest of the UK, it seems in that in the UK you have to fly a 'National' flag over your public buildings every day. Now it seems that a 'National' flag can be one of the Union Jack, the English flag, the Scottish flag or the Welsh flag.

So in London you can fly the Union Jack or the English flag.
    In Edinburgh you can fly the Union Jack or the Scottish flag.
    In Cardiff you can fly the Union Jack or the Welsh flag.
    But in Belfast you can only fly the Union Jack.

Thanks for the clarification... So the choices in NI would be the Union flag or possibly the Cross of St Patrick (which is the "Irish" component of the Union flag)?

What do the NI soccer team use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Im finding it hard to understand the relevance of it all:

A loyalist group are heading for, in their eyes, a different country to show how they feel in relation to having their flag removed. The Irish Government had no say in the removal of the flag from Belfast City Hall, so what exactly is the point, would they not just head for Palais Bourbon and get a nice wkend away in the process?

Don't question Willie Frazer and his ideas, he's a modern day genius! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Ah yes, but the protest is solely in Dublin and will by and large attract a shower of oppertunistic scummers from Dublin.:(

For the record I would imagine that, just like the Love Ulster march, this will attract a shower of opportunistic scummers from all over the island. The court reports following the 2006 incident highlighted that this was certainly the case then, they were not just from the fair city.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification... So the choices in NI would be the Union flag or possibly the Cross of St Patrick (which is the "Irish" component of the Union flag)?

As things stand, its the Union Jack or nothing. Have a read through this if ye get a chance:
    http://www.flaginstitute.org/pdfs/Flying_Flags_in_the_United_Kingdom.pdf
    What do the NI soccer team use?

AFAIK they use this one
    http://www.flags.net/NOIR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hate to sound cruel, but on that interview with Miriam he came across as a little bit slow. Compare how he debated with Naomi Long's input. Night and day.

He will definitely show up in Dublin, he is thran enough. Hopefully he won't bring those who feel the need to cover their faces with Rangers scarves with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Site0Camera3.JPG

2.jpg

Dublin_Riots.jpg

Bearing in mind that the above occured when there was a planned peaceful march by unionists in the city, I would be amazed if the Government / Gardai didn't send a clear message that any protest in the South of Ireland relating to democratic decisions made by a city council outside of the states jurisdiction will be met with immediate arrest and /or disbursment on the grounds that it is not relevant to any Republic of Ireland activities and it is likely to incite violence and civil unrest.

State the warning and follow through should any attempt at a protest be made.

Take the power away from the attempts to make the Republicans / Irish look bad by dragging them in and have pictures of them being violent on the news, and instead have a national police force arresting more unionist trouble makers for not obeying the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Willie Frazer is an idiot. I hope one day he realizes this. It will amuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Having seen what's gone on in recent days I don't know who the hell thought it was a good idea allowing these people opportunity down here.

I won't be going. I hope the local scum don't use this as a cover to rob and stuff. Anyone with half a brain will completely ignore this, completely. Even replying to this thread i have gone against that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

It could take somthing like this for all hell to break out and have nothing to do with loyalism/republicanism. With all the years of hardships with the austerity budgets, people losing jobs, no money etc all it takes is one or two to start somthing on saturday and it develops into a massive riot similar to greece, spain etc. Im amazed it hasnt happened already, amazed but its also a positive reflection on the irish people as a whole for not going down this path so far.

Its been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

The union flag is currently flying in Dublin city centre because of the EU presidency!

Its been cancelled.

Any links, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

According to the B'auld Willie himself, it's still going ahead. He was on the Last Word a few mins ago.

I have to say the man doesn't strike me as being the sharpest tool in the box.

He was flip flopping more than a soon to be gutted fish during both interviews he did with Matt Cooper.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Any links, please?

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/headlines/willie-frazer-postpones-dublin-protest-1-4662505

Maybe someone cancelled it on his behalf, knowing that he will make a fool of NI unionists if he goes ahead with this nonsense.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/headlines/willie-frazer-postpones-dublin-protest-1-4662505

Maybe someone cancelled it on his behalf, knowing that he will make a fool of NI unionists if he goes ahead with this nonsense.

Postponed? Maybe, he just want's to win time? Or maybe, he is just afraid, that he won't attract a wagon load of protesters, who throw eggs at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

pithater1 wrote: »
    I have to say the man doesn't strike me as being the sharpest tool in the box.

Very inarticulate. Amazed that he represents a group of people, he really struggles to engage, can't stick to the topic. Miriam O'Callaghan was talking to him as if he was a five year old child and I don't blame her. She was literally sighing at his ramblings at one stage, exasperated that he didn't seem to understand the questions.

Is this the same guy that photographed the kids school because they were flying the Italian flag for some cultural event? He thought it was the Irish flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is this the same guy that photographed the kids school because they were flying the Italian flag for some cultural event? He thought it was the Irish flag?

Hahaha yes it is indeed him, I totally forgot about that. Baffling how anybody believes in him as a political leader.

Keeping on topic, in no way should this type of march be allowed, it's a dispute taking place in a foreign territory and has nothing to do with the politics of Leinster House.

crushproof wrote: »
    Hahaha yes it is indeed him, I totally forgot about that. Baffling how anybody believes in him as a political leader.

Keeping on topic, in no way should this type of march be allowed, it's a dispute taking place in a foreign territory and has nothing to do with the politics of Leinster House.

He is not a political leader though, just a loon who used to run a victim support group which had funding removed from it as they could not show where the money was going.

Unfortunately, even loons can attract a certain number of supporters in NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement