Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowie is back!!

• 08-01-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

New Single "Where are we now?" out now!

New album "The Next day", out March 11th 2013.

Talk about keeping your cards close to your chest.

My underpants cant take much more of this excitement!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I am moist
    Imagine if he announces a tour!!
    fap.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LizardKing82

I am moistest

http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

a lot of pressure for this album to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Heard it this morning on Dublin City FM. Can't wait for album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's eh.... eh... Ok? I guess?

Still haven't forgiven him for pulling out of Oxegen years ago meaning we were left with the Darkness (The flipping DARKNESS) as headliners! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry, but thats just average at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Genuinely thrilling news, I actually gasped when I read about it! The song is brilliant and the video is class. Welcome back sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I should really train myself to let nothing in life surprise me at this stage, I never saw it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Would like to hear the rest of the album, new single is nothing special but it may be a grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's not great now, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've listened to this at least 20 times so far & I love it...

I was also very angry that he pulled out of Oxygen... Heart attack shmart attack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Haven't heard it yet but it's always good news to hear about Bowie active again. His previous album, Reality was seriously underrated imo. Caught me off guard though - I only googled Bowie 2013 last week and came up with nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Stunned hes back,the guy is a genius,cant believe it........i love the fact that his first new release in a decade is a downbeat ballad,not the most obvious or easiest choice but then thats Bowie

God damn im one happy f***er!!

The more I listen to it the more I get the feeling that this album is going to be his swansong. Just the fact that he's referencing his past, which is unlike him. I hope I'm wrong and that he still has a few more albums left in him.

It's a very poignant song but it's uplifting at the same time, it's beautiful. The album can't come quick enough now!

The more I listen to it the more I get the feeling that this album is going to be his swansong. Just the fact that he's referencing his past, which is unlike him. I hope I'm wrong and that he still has a few more albums left in him.

It's a very poignant song but it's uplifting at the same time, it's beautiful. The album can't come quick enough now!

I was very surprised at that too,hes referenced his past before but its always been very subtle,was very taken aback by how blatant it was,interesting theory on the album being his last(i disagree)

Heres mine....its a concept album following on from "Heroes"("Just for one Day")......hence,"The Next Day",maybe an album about what happens afterwards?.....no?...anyone? the cover seems to be a reworking of "Heroes",ive seen a few different covers but this is the one on Itunes i presumes its the official one....at the very least i reckon the song is a follow up to "Heroes"(the song not the whole album of course)

Any word yet on which musicians are backing him on this album?

All thats known so far(as far as i can tell)is Tony Visconti is the producer....which makes me a very happy man:)

Personally id love to hear Earl Slick on guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Listened to it a couple of times and I like it.
    It is a peculiar choice for a single, as its slow and sombre, however its very classy and unmistakably Bowie.

His early career was hearalded for being groundbreaking and pushing boundries. He paved the way for acts from practically every musical genre and his influence is still blatantly obvious in many of todays so called stars, ala Lady Gaga.

However, his last 2 albums revolved around a theme of reflection and awareness of his own mortality.
    Basically looking back, rather than forward.

This theme is particularly strong in the final song on his last studio album Reality.
    On "Bring me the disco King" he wails...
    "Don't let me know when you're opening the door
    Close me in the dark, let me disappear
    Soon there'll be nothing left of me
    Nothing left to release".

The new single seems to carry on the theme of reflection with references by name of the cafe he once lived above in Berlin.

I dont believe our Dave has anything to prove with this album.
    The man's place in Rock history and indeed popular culture was assured a long long time ago, and as a result, he owes nobody anything.
    Im over the moon he has decided to return to the studio, when it looked extremely unlikely he'd release anything.

Inevitably, people will dish out the old chestnut "its not a patch on his old stuff bladdy blah..".
    People will only be disappointed if they expect another Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane.
    Im more intested in hearing David Bowie 2013 rather than The Thin White Duke of the 70's.

I was very surprised at that too,hes referenced his past before but its always been very subtle,was very taken aback by how blatant it was,interesting theory on the album being his last(i disagree)

Heres mine....its a concept album following on from "Heroes"("Just for one Day")......hence,"The Next Day",maybe an album about what happens afterwards?.....no?...anyone? the cover seems to be a reworking of "Heroes",ive seen a few different covers but this is the one on Itunes i presumes its the official one....at the very least i reckon the song is a follow up to "Heroes"(the song not the whole album of course)

Yeah, whatever about the Berlin references in the song, the reworking of the Heroes album cover as the new album cover (as appears to be the case) is very odd. I can't really see it being a concept album follow-on from Heroes but it's as good a theory as any at the moment!

I think it's just incredible how this came upon the world so suddenly without any inkling of it happening, especially in this day and age. But it's great that it did. It's almost like he's giving the two fingers to social media and saying he's going to do this his way. And it has worked so more power to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Album artwork....not sure if serious

bowie_next.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭mosstin

Genuinely thrilling news, I actually gasped when I read about it! The song is brilliant and the video is class. Welcome back sir.

Eh? It's ****ing appalling.

mosstin wrote: »
    Eh? It's ****ing appalling.

What do you not like about it? TBH, I don't even watch music videos these days but I still know a good one when I see it and that is a really haunting video with a bit of Bowie oddity thrown into it.

Yeah, whatever about the Berlin references in the song, the reworking of the Heroes album cover as the new album cover (as appears to be the case) is very odd. I can't really see it being a concept album follow-on from Heroes but it's as good a theory as any at the moment!

I think it's just incredible how this came upon the world so suddenly without any inkling of it happening, especially in this day and age. But it's great that it did. It's almost like he's giving the two fingers to social media and saying he's going to do this his way. And it has worked so more power to him.

Stunned at this too,how not a single rumour surfaced is extraordinary.....but then if it had most people wouldnt have believed it as theres been so many,ive thought for 3 or 4 years now hes finished,the non appearance at the Olympics was the nail in the coffin for my hopes,i remember watching it and hoping to myself "maybe hell appear as a surprise!!".....and when it was just old footage i have to admit my heart sank a bit,happy as i was to see my hero anyway

Anywho ive met a lot of younger fans over the years whove moaned how they were too late for him so its great for them to experience this too even if a tour isnt likely......but then the album was about 1,000,000-1 yesterday so what do i know??

What a day:D

God knows im biased but i liked the video too,its weird and looks absolutely nothing like youd expect the first video in a decade from a major artist to look like(either does the song,who else would come back with a melancholy ballad?)

I think he looks great in it too,much better than some pics over the last few years,very good for 66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Disappointing, I'm afraid. The video is very gimmicky.

For me, the song is meh. Kinda cross between Chris Rea & X-Factor...

Nah, I'm grand, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Knew I'd seen that 'siamese-heads-in-wee-animal-suits' thing before...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Poor song and video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

8100068618_1f4f6c024f_c.jpg

Bowie at the Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 1997.

Just heard the new song and watched the video. I admit it's hard for me to be objective about Bowie, but I really like it. I don't expect him to issue another Hunky Dory or Scary Monsters, but this bodes well for the new album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The song is definitely a grower.

Advertisement