Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowie is back!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Nice tune, really atmospheric...the video is brutal though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

The song is dull and if anybody else released it, it would be just five seconds on a countdown of the charts. I think Bowie is another legend who gets praised because most commentators are too afraid to criticize him or disagree with their peers. He hasn't really made anything truly memorable since the 80's and everything after that seems off the mark. I still salute him for his dignified behaviour and knowing when to step back. You will not see Bowie going down the road of appearing at everything from a farewell concert to a midnight choir in a whore house like Mr Fab, Paul McCartney. I'll save final judgement for the album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

The song is dull and if anybody else released it, it would be just five seconds on a countdown of the charts. I think Bowie is another legend who gets praised because most commentators are too afraid to criticize him or disagree with their peers. He hasn't really made anything truly memorable since the 80's and everything after that seems off the mark. I still salute him for his dignified behaviour and knowing when to step back. You will not see Bowie going down the road of appearing at everything from a farewell concert to a midnight choir in a whore house like Mr Fab, Paul McCartney. I'll save final judgement for the album though.

Hes gotten pretty much universal praise since yesterday yeah,no doubt about it but trust me as a fan of 20 years this wasnt always the case,ive been on board since 93 and i can assure you most of the music press were not favourable to him,all they cared about was the 70s,everything afterwards was dismissed out of hand,i still have the magazines from that time,"Heathen" in 02 was pretty much the first time he was critically acclaimed in 20 years,then with "Reality" the next year it was business as usual....."not as good as..." "why does he bother?" etc.....

I agree that the reaction to the song is over the top(and i love it but its just a good song)but i couldnt help wondering yesterday and when i read the papers today "where the hell were all you people when he was getting slagged off the last 20,30 years??" he lost his way in the 80s and he payed a heavy price for it in the press ever since even when he made some fine records,its about time he was recognised and respected for his outstanding past(even the more recent past)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Rockbeast likes this very much.

A wonderful lesson in understatement; song and video.

No need for whistles and bells to herald his comeback, this'll do nicely. For me anyway. Don't be surprised if the next song is a lot more full-on.

There's no school like the old school and Bowie, if not the headmaster, is still on the board.

Give it a chance. Enjoy. My first favourite song of the year. Hope there's a few more...

RB

PS Anyone get a hint of The Edge on guitar in the Outro or just the Berlin Sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

rockbeast wrote: »
    Rockbeast likes this very much.

A wonderful lesson in understatement; song and video.

No need for whistles and bells to herald his comeback, this'll do nicely.

There's no school like the old school and Bowie, if not the headmaster, is still on the board.

Give it a chance. Enjoy.
    My first favourite song of the year. Hope there's a few more...

RB

I would largely agree with the above. I think it is quite a haunting tune. It is one of those melancholic ballads that gives you goose pimples. The video I would have mixed feelings about, but I do like the fact that you can see the lyrics, which is helpful given the German references.

The wonderful thing about David Bowie is his unpredictability - who would have thought he would come back with such a haunting wistful ballad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

http://www.uncut.co.uk/bowie-producer-tony-visconti-promises-rock-sound-on-new-album-news

If most of the album is rock-sounding there's surely a better chance of a tour happening. Based on his voice on the single, I thought he sounded so fragile that it didn't seem like he would be able to belt out any rockers anymore. Visconti is saying otherwise so that's interesting.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/bowie-producer-tony-visconti-promises-rock-sound-on-new-album-news

If most of the album is rock-sounding there's surely a better chance of a tour happening. Based on his voice on the single, I thought he sounded so fragile that it didn't seem like he would be able to belt out any rockers anymore. Visconti is saying otherwise so that's interesting.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Nice low-fi-ish way IMO to return/re-introduce yourself when all around is beats and big-budget vid's from artists/bands who are 40 years plus your junior...

I remember watching a docu on Clancy Bros a few years and they were talking about a great support gig they played when they were young. They had the crowd going wild when they finished their set and as they walked off-stage they said to the headlining old-time blues player, "follow that"! His name escapes me but he winked at the lads and walked on stage. He then started a procession of slides, slowly building up to a crescendo 10 mins later, at which time the roof was about to come off the joint and the crowd were in the palm of his hand...then he started playing...

Two amazing hours later he meets the clancys backstage for a drink and says "that's how you follow that" (with another wink of course)...Lesson duly learned and noted by Clancy Bros!

Sometimes it's better not to come on/back with a bang(I hope!)...

RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great song really like it and Visconti's production is excellent! Really like the video, I wonder who the lady is who's face is projected on the soft toy beside him?

Anyway just what was needed for January something lovely and new from Mr Bowie!

Great song really like it and Visconti's production is excellent! Really like the video, I wonder who the lady is who's face is projected on the soft toy beside him?

I was sure Bjork had aged really badly!

RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't normally like David Bowie's music and when I heard the song at the start I thought "this is awful" but it's been stuck in my head since, mainly the chorus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm still on the fence with this one. I feel like it's beginning to grow on me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The video for "Where are we now?" was directed by Tony Ourseler.

The lady in the video is Ourselers wife, Jacqueline Humphries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The song itself isn't bad, not particularly good either. The video is just... bizarre. Awful, awful video, and reminds me of why I dislike music videos in general.

I'm always a bit reluctant when old artists like Bowie release new material but I guess I'll give the album a curious listen when it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

You better up your game Dave,

Though saying that his album are always a joy to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

rockbeast wrote: »
    PS Anyone get a hint of The Edge on guitar in the Outro or just the Berlin Sound?

Yeah I was thinking that it sounded a bit like The Edge at the end. Song reminds me a bit of Thursday's Child maybe because it's similarly downbeat. I like this reflective type of Bowie, but sounds like the rest of the Album isn't going to be like this track.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Reminds me of 'The Lonliest Guy' just not as wrist slittingly awful. Anyway, really like it and happy to see Bowie back.

Irishman Gerry Leonard provided the guitar parts on "Where are we now?".

He played on 2003's "Reality" and the corresponding tour.

He was also Bowie's musical director during the recording of the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

poundhound wrote: »
    Listened to it a couple of times and I like it.
    It is a peculiar choice for a single, as its slow and sombre, however its very classy and unmistakably Bowie.

His early career was hearalded for being groundbreaking and pushing boundries. He paved the way for acts from practically every musical genre and his influence is still blatantly obvious in many of todays so called stars, ala Lady Gaga.

However, his last 2 albums revolved around a theme of reflection and awareness of his own mortality.
    Basically looking back, rather than forward.

This theme is particularly strong in the final song on his last studio album Reality.
    On "Bring me the disco King" he wails...
    "Don't let me know when you're opening the door
    Close me in the dark, let me disappear
    Soon there'll be nothing left of me
    Nothing left to release".

The new single seems to carry on the theme of reflection with references by name of the cafe he once lived above in Berlin.

I dont believe our Dave has anything to prove with this album.
    The man's place in Rock history and indeed popular culture was assured a long long time ago, and as a result, he owes nobody anything.
    Im over the moon he has decided to return to the studio, when it looked extremely unlikely he'd release anything.

Inevitably, people will dish out the old chestnut "its not a patch on his old stuff bladdy blah..".
    People will only be disappointed if they expect another Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane.
    Im more intested in hearing David Bowie 2013 rather than The Thin White Duke of the 70's.

No he didn't ;) ... but he lived close by at 155 - beside the tattoo parlour in the video ... and he references the night club he and Jimmy used to go to ... the cafe is Neues Ufer, 159 Hauptstrasse, Kleistpark, Berlin ... wouldn't agree with everything you say, but I get your drift ... a lot of Bowie songs are reflective of times and events past ... Jump They Say, Teenage Wildlife, Ashes to Ashes ... it will be interesting to hear the new album ... :)

New single "The Stars (Are out tonight)" released 26/02/2013!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Genuinely impressed...

Video for new single The Stars (are out tonight);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

poundhound wrote: »
    Video for new single The Stars (are out tonight);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE

I like it. I'm starting to believe this might be a genuinely good album.

Hmmm, not much of a tune to it, quite groove-based and bit of a Tin Machine vibe to it....could be a grower though. Great video. I hope it's just the make-up but he looks like he's had a bit of surgery done. Say it ain't so Dave!

Another hugely positive review, this time from Andy Gill in the London Independent
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/david-bowie-album-review--track-by-track-the-starman-pulls-off-the-greatest-comeback-album-in-rocknroll-history-with-the-next-day-8510608.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Loved Where are we Now.

And that now single after one listen seems to be a excellent. Cant wait for the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMultiRoom?cc=gb&fcId=602817345&id=602823129&v0=itunes.com%2Fdavidbowie

Link to a free listen of the new album ... and it's the dogs gonads ... waiting for the gift of sound and vision ...

Got as far as the track by track reviews and stopped.

I'm looking forward to making up my own mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Was taking the reviews with a pinch of salt,presumed people would be getting carried away with the first release in so long......but sweet Jesus it really is great!

Love it!

Advertisement