Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowie is back!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Listened to it a good few times now. Hats off. It's a fine album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

"feel so lonely" is the standout track for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Have had over 20 listens now,5/5 for me.....up there with his very best imo,3 songs im not crazy about* but i see from various reviews and my own friends they like/love them,theyre not bad though and dont require skipping making it a very coherent,solid album,theres really no flab on it(which is more than can be said for some of his legendary 70s albums)and many,many highlights

Thought the critics had lost the run of themselves in all the excitement but its truly great

*Love Is Lost
    Set the world on Fire
    The Stars.....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

I've been reminding myself of how brilliant Bowie actually is, true legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

madness98 wrote: »
    I've been reminding myself of how brilliant Bowie actually is, true legend!

Same here. I'm rediscovering him I suppose. It's incredible how so much of his music has aged so well. I was listening to Ashes To Ashes last night, what an amazing song! It sounds of its time but it still sounds so fresh. I got the Station To Station deluxe edition recently and it just reminded me why I love that album. I'd love to see him tour as I missed out before. Hopefully the great reviews of the album might convince him to get out there and play it before a live audience.

• Advertisement

Bowie's guitarist and musical director Gerry Leonard suggested theres a lot of material left over from the recording of "The Next Day", that could form the basis for another album.

Leonard suggested Bowie would be more likely to tour after that release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Same here. I'm rediscovering him I suppose. It's incredible how so much of his music has aged so well. I was listening to Ashes To Ashes last night, what an amazing song! It sounds of its time but it still sounds so fresh. I got the Station To Station deluxe edition recently and it just reminded me why I love that album. I'd love to see him tour as I missed out before. Hopefully the great reviews of the album might convince him to get out there and play it before a live audience.

Station to Station is a beauty alright.

I got the Berlin trilogy on secondhand vinyl recently. A joy to listen to again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Living legend for sure but his last great album was Scary Monsters in 1980.

He's still able to put out a decent album every now and then, just like Dylan, and it's admirable at his age and all, but the magic is well and truly gone.

By way of perspective, the worst songs on Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust (Fill Your Heart and Hang Onto Yourself imo) would be by far the standout tracks on this new album.

Why do people keep comparing his new material to albums of 30 or 40 years ago?

If you want to compare "The Next Day" to anything, compare it to current offerings, then you'll see its true worth.

Nothing Bowie does now or indeed any current artist, is gonna touch albums like Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

poundhound wrote: »
    Why do people keep comparing his new material to albums of 30 or 40 years ago?
    QUOTE]

Mainly because they are the same artist I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I found it to be quite retrospective, as in some songs on the album sounded like they 'came from' different albums or eras.
    As a result it didn't feel like an album to me in that there didn't seem to be a common theme.
    I did really like it though, and it's exciting to think he might be touring in the future.

6 Music are really spoiling us with their Bowie coverage over Easter.
    http://www.davidbowie.com/news/6-music-salutes-david-bowie-easter-50701

There are some real gems in here. I really like the look of two shows in particular:
    Sunday March 31st
    Bowie & Beyond: A Music Fans Guide To Berlin (12-1pm).

Freak Zone, 8-10pm: Stuart Maconie celebrates Low, the first of David Bowie’s hugely influential Berlin LPs, featuring Brian Eno’s atmospheric keyboards to the fore.

Bring it on! Now, as one who has resisted the temptation to listen to the album stream, I'm going to head off to buy the actual CD and - gulp - maybe listen to it in one sitting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

Sorry to interrupt but there are so many knowledgable Bowie fans, was wondering could someone help? I'm trying to find the full version of sound and vision, the stripped back one remixed by Sonjay Prabhakar from the new Sony Xperia ad, I wonder has it been released or will it be, i really hope someone can help, many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Listening to The Next Day for the first time, so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Phantom are playing this in full at the moment, just a heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ormus wrote: »
    Living legend for sure but his last great album was Scary Monsters in 1980.

He's still able to put out a decent album every now and then, just like Dylan, and it's admirable at his age and all, but the magic is well and truly gone.

By way of perspective, the worst songs on Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust (Fill Your Heart and Hang Onto Yourself imo) would be by far the standout tracks on this new album.

It's like saying Edvard Munch's latest offering is good and all, but it can't compare to The Scream. Can't it be said that his albums of the 70s were iconic, but won't be matched again, by him or anyone else. We're living in a different era now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Not having whyTunes, I was searching on YouTube for any sneaky uploads from The Next Day that I hadn’t yet heard (i.e. other than the 2 current ‘singles’ and the second half of the album I’d caught on the radio). I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttnKs78kfQM and thought :D and “sounds like Low meets BD’s friends Arcade Fire”. But after much ferreting around I realised that some muppet had completely mis-represented the upload - M83 song and title with Bowie's name, album title, graphic and 'bonus track' tag :confused::rolleyes::mad:. Oh well, new band to explore :)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I am Bowie fan for nearly 40 years now and I am particularly fond of his early work. Delighted to hear him back with his new album The Next Day which I have on repeat play and am really enjoying it.
    I would sum it up in a few words,
    Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, but, Classic Bowie. 10 /10

Just a reminder that this is BBC6's Bowie weekend. Some great stuff including old interviews, discussions on Young Americans and Low, and a music fan's guide to Berlin.

With the album out a few weeks now what do people here think of it? There are some real treasures on it, my favourite tracks so far are:

If You Can See Me - Best song on the album, pure Bowie gonzo madness.
    Where are we now - Just gets better and better, it's one of his greatest singles.
    The Next Day - A real stomper in the classic Bowie mould, would love to hear this live.
    So She - Gorgeous melody... no idea why it's a bonus track, it should be on the album proper.
    How Does The Grass Grow - Never mind the Apache borrow, the intro (when the drums kick in) reminds me of Abracadabra by Steve Miller!
    I'll Take You There - Great dirty riff, really hooks you in. Again I don't see it as a bonus track.

I've probably never listened to as much Bowie as I have in the last few months and one album that I never really had a huge love for was Lodger but it has just suddenly grown on me so much. It had some great songs but never seemed to be as cohesive as Heroes and Low. Maybe it's the awful, muddy mix which apparently was down to the poor quality of the recording equipment (amazing when you think of it now). But a song like Red Sails is as good as anything he has ever done. It just captures that 70s Neu! feel with some brilliant vocals and some truly amazing guitar work from Adrian Belew.
    For anyone who hasn't heard it give it a listen here....Love the oooohhhhhhhh at 1.35 into the song!

For those interested, Bowie is releasing a three-disc version of The Next Day in a few weeks. There are four previously unreleased songs plus some extra songs from the deluxe version, a couple of remixes and the videos.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/3-disc-next-day-extra-due-november-release-52051

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

For those interested, Bowie is releasing a three-disc version of The Next Day in a few weeks. There are four previously unreleased songs plus some extra songs from the deluxe version, a couple of remixes and the videos.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/3-disc-next-day-extra-due-november-release-52051

This looks great, I've only recently got into David Bowie but really got into him and will probably be buying this when it comes out.

For those of us that bought the delux version of the album and have little interest in the 3 disc set, the additional extra songs will be available as a stand alone download on itunes.

Click the link to see the 7 songs included;
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/the-next-day-extra/id718482293?affId=1930871&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Even if we can't bring the great man back at least we can try and regenerate this thread.

The next box set, A New Career in a New Town, is due in September and I have to say this is the one for me. Bowie for me was at his absolute peak on that amazing run of albums going from Station to Station (which was on the last box set) up to Scary Monsters. I'm very intrigued by the new Tony Visconti mix of Lodger...it was an awfully produced album so it will be interesting to see how it sounds.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-career-new-town-1977-1982-57146

P.S. Going back through this thread some of the comments are very poignant when you read them now. People wondering about a tour, etc. But I'm glad my own comment about The Next Day being his swansong proved to be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Even if we can't bring the great man back at least we can try and regenerate this thread.

The next box set, A New Career in a New Town, is due in September and I have to say this is the one for me. Bowie for me was at his absolute peak on that amazing run of albums going from Station to Station (which was on the last box set) up to Scary Monsters. I'm very intrigued by the new Tony Visconti mix of Lodger...it was an awfully produced album so it will be interesting to see how it sounds.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-career-new-town-1977-1982-57146

P.S. Going back through this thread some of the comments are very poignant when you read them now. People wondering about a tour, etc. But I'm glad my own comment about The Next Day being his swansong proved to be wrong!

It looks great. Despite having shelled out for these albums a number of times (original LPs, a couple of RCA CDs, Ryko CDs, Ryko LPs, Virgin CDs etc), I have found the previous two sets to be of a very high standard - love The Gouster particularly. The Recall discs are excellent too - single mixes / edits are essential in my opinion.

It looks great. Despite having shelled out for these albums a number of times (original LPs, a couple of RCA CDs, Ryko CDs, Ryko LPs, Virgin CDs etc), I have found the previous two sets to be of a very high standard - love The Gouster particularly. The Recall discs are excellent too - single mixes / edits are essential in my opinion.

I simply haven't had the money to buy any of the previous box sets but no question I'll be getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Whenever I see this “Bowie is back” thread, er, resurrected, I feel a small glimmer of “If anyone can come back...” :eek::(:pac:

Advertisement