Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 South, Delgany exit - not long enough?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I was just wondering whether I am the only person who thinks that the exit for Delgany is too short i.e. the distance in the exit lane requires substantial braking in particular as the exit then goes downhill to the roundabout?

It seems to me that the countdown to the exit, 300m, 200m, 100m is right, but there is well over 100m before the exit lane starts which then cuts into the exit lane budget so to speak. This is in stark contrast to the subsequent exit southbound to for Greystones/Kilcoole.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It is indeed too short, and rather steep too.
    Its a tricky spot to widen / lengthen though.

I would rather they close it and improve the small junction thats a couple of hundred metres further south (next to a bungalow).

The scrub / ditch area there is wider and flatter so a better junction would be easier to accomodate.
    Though perhaps they cannot do this considering the main Greystones exit is so close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

agreed, it's like the put up the 3-2-1 100m signs at the right point when all the sign upgrades happened (around the time of going to metric signage), then when they came to re-marking the exit, they just marked the old layout because the green cat's eyes start much further down the road - perhaps some confusion when doing it. Two things needed there - cat's eyes & road markings adjusted...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Coming from Wicklow Town direction, the newish exit lane to Barry's Bridge is even worse. I have seen cars (2 or 3 times) overshoot it and reverse back on the hard shoulder, its so short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Or you could slow down given that you know how short it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Or you could slow down given that you know how short it it.

Good man. Just assume that anyone using it has used it before and no unfamiliar motorists will ever need to take that route....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's far too many junctions on that stretch of the N11 - northbound there's 2 off-ramps and 3 on-ramps in quick succession for Kilpeddar alone (and that's not counting the Old Downs Road junction at the entrance to GotD which is in a very dangerous location).

They should have closed the old junctions when the new one opened, and as spank_inferno has pointed out there's no need to have 2 off-ramps on the southbound side for Delgany.

I wrote to the county engineer when the new junction (11) opened and suggested they close some of the old accesses, but apparently this causes political friction and councillors object because old Ms Reilly has to drive an extra 2k to get to mass; or the old reliable "it might delay an ambulance" which ignores the potential for extra accidents created by unnecessary, substandard junctions onto what is effectively a motorway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

DD9090 wrote: »
    Good man. Just assume that anyone using it has used it before and no unfamiliar motorists will ever need to take that route....

Even though the OP has clearly used it before.

No need for substantial braking if one follows the signs.. 50kmh and all that, what what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Even though the OP has clearly used it before.

No need for substantial braking if one follows the signs.. 50kmh and all that, what what.

?

It was a general comment for that stretch of road.

Advertisement