Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-IRA March and threats in Limerick

• 08-01-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been posted on AH, but I thought it should be in here too as it's Limerick-related.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/republicans-issue-threat-to-british-army-targets-1-4652249

I don't want to cut and paste but basically a number, reportedly 60-70, marched towards the Republican plot at Mount Saint Lawrence cemetery.

They then issued a statement saying that any Irish person in the British Army would be considered a 'legitimate target.'

The article also mentions an Irish person in the British army who decided not to come home to Limerick after the gardai discovered a C-IRA plot to kill him.

Any thoughts?

Mine are that these people are sickening morons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I believe the guards were monitoring this march.

If so how come the person who made the threats was not arrested.

These scum bags should not be allowed use the name of the Irish army "Óglaigh na hÉireann"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Criminal scum hiding behind our National flag.

Can understand how that person making the threat wasn't arrested on the spot as that's exactly the kind of response he'd have loved to provoke.

Would think there's enough evidence accumulated to see him proscecuted under Incitement to Hatred legislation at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

The statement was actually a statement from those already in prison though is what I got from the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limericks wrote: »
    The statement was actually a statement from those already in prison though is what I got from the article?
    Yeah, you're right, I didn't make it clear in my OP.

The statement delivered at the cemetary was a message from prisoners in Portlaoise prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ignorant Hate mongers who have basically through their statement threatened to kill Irish people.

Just one of many groups of cowards and thugs that try to use the Irish flag as something to hide their actions behind

Wonder how long I would stay out of prison if I claimed the president or a similar high ranked official was a traitor and was marked for death.

Wonder how long I would stay out of prison if I decided I disliked a British owned business in Limerick and said that anyone working there was a legitimate target in my eyes.

People who support the statement are just stupid ignorant hate mongers who need to cycle of hate to continue in order for them to feel like they are somebodies. Would imagine that many of them never lived through the troubles in the North and in the UK, and are just as deluded about their supposed cause as modern day neo nazis are about their "cause". That might be seen as the Godwin point in my post, but in my eyes these people are no less deluded in their hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I think you are confused. Sinn Fein and republican SF are not one in the same

There was a split in 1986 with republican sf sticking to the traditional line and sinn fein engaging in constututional politics. They are an entirely different organisation.

I am not sure about individual councillors but leading members of sf have condemned attacks by republican organisations still involved with voilence.

Kess73 wrote: »

So Sinn Fein members don't ever get seen, photographed, or speak at any Republican Sinn Fein events?

Or have any Sinn Fein councillors ever given statements to the media condemning arrests or investigations relating to R-IRA, C-IRA or other groups operating under republican or criminal banners?

If Sinn Fein members and councillors have never done any of the above and no examples can be found online, then I will happily edit my post to reflect that.
    I dont care if you edit your post or not. Was just pointing out your post was based on an entirely false assumption

Taking my own posts out of the thread as my opinion is derailing the thread and taking it away from why the thread was started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

There is a difference in these two political parties Kess, and has been for a long number of years. RSF generally think of Sinn Fein as traitors for joining the new stormont and have clashed with them a lot over the years. Recently over the queens visit to the Republic last year.

However, this may seem to you that the two parties are the same because you hear the words Sinn Fein. It is not the case. Truth is Sinn Fein is in Government in the North and are growing stronger daily here in the Republic and their policies are sharply different than the aims of Republican Sinn Fein. The two should not be confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RubyWoo83

These lads have been doing that march for years. I know a couple that partake and their shoe sizes are a higher number than their IQ's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I disagree with the fact that posts have been edited by a moderator to remove his own comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

It wasnt a CIRA march... I presume there was a colour party... that doesnt mean that those people are members of the CIRA... in fact they most likely are not

I've marched in colour parties before, albeit not at RSF or any dissident events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Am I right in saying this march was more mainstream a decade or so ago, as in crowds were bigger and this was while the troubles were ongoing?

Anyway, surely the authorities should claim this one back? The Michael Collins one for example is usually a Fine Gael event.

Why not make this an official event to mark something from a different era. Get the Irish Army marching, the mayor, representitives of various organisations and an appropriate person to make a speech.

There is a Michael Collins event, Easter rising events in Dublin so why not make this Limericks official event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Am I right in saying this march was more mainstream a decade or so ago, as in crowds were bigger and this was while the troubles were ongoing?

Anyway, surely the authorities should claim this one back? The Michael Collins one for example is usually a Fine Gael event.

Why not make this an official event to mark something from a different era. Get the Irish Army marching, the mayor, representitives of various organisations and an appropriate person to make a speech.

There is a Michael Collins event, Easter rising events in Dublin so why not make this Limericks official event?

The reason it wouldn't be hijacked by the Government is because under Irish law the IRA was an illegal organisation in the 50's. so by commemorating the actions of Sean south and co they would be endorsing the legitimacy of those actions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I disagree with the fact that posts have been edited by a moderator to remove his own comments.

Kess was posting as a user, not as a mod, normally if a mod is being a mod they write in bold, like this.

If you have a problem with any post, report it and it will be reviewed.

Every republican organisation commemorates Sean South... and Fergal O Hanlon who was killed alongside him.

Sinn Feins commemoration does be the biggest

Mod Edit

I removed my own comments to avoid the thread being derailed by my comments as a poster. Nothing that anyone else typed was deleted.

If you wish to report me for deleting the comments that I made, then that option is of course available to you as Clareman pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I got stuck in traffic just as they were walking up through William St. Thought it was pretty ridiculous and I saw no sign of guards only half of Limerick looking on in sheer disgust. I was just trying to get through as the light went green and thought that they had all passed and that the people of Limerick were just taking advantage of the traffic stall and crossed the road but I was wrong there was looooods of them following on the main crew playing the bag pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

GRMA wrote: »
    Every republican organisation commemorates Sean South... and Fergal O Hanlon who was killed alongside him.

Sinn Feins commemoration does be the biggest

I have a problem with the use of the word murdered as you use it above. They were not murdered. They were shot by RUC officers when the volunteers went to attack a British Base.

You can use all the excuses in the world and throw out all the "oh they were in our country illegally, that is a different debate.

They were killed in self defense. They were not murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/gardai-raid-house-after-cira-threat-3347150.html
    THE home of a man who attended a Republican Sinn Fein event – where the Continuity IRA issued a chilling warning to Irish people serving in the British armed forces – has been raided by gardai.

Gardai raided the home in the suburbs of Limerick city after a statement was read at a Sean South commemoration in which terrorists threatened Irish people who have enlisted with British armed forces.

The threats were issued on Sunday at Mount Saint Lawrence cemetery in Limerick at a Republican Sinn Fein event.

The statement from CIRA prisoners in Portlaoise jail warned that "the moment you don a British uniform, you become a legitimate target."

No arrests were made but an amount of evidence was taken from the property. Investigations continue.

In Exile wrote: »
    I have a problem with the use of the word murdered as you use it above. They were not murdered. They were shot by RUC officers when the volunteers went to attack a British Base.

You can use all the excuses in the world and throw out all the "oh they were in our country illegally, that is a different debate.

They were killed in self defense. They were not murdered.
    I dont care if you have a problem with my terminology, I won't be changing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

One and only warning. If you have a problem with a post, report it, if you have a problem with a poster ignore them or try to discuss over PM, bickering on threads will result in both parties taking a break from the forum.

GRMA wrote: »
    I dont care if you have a problem with my terminology, I won't be changing it.

I will be changing it however as there has been a complaint about the use of the terminology and I agree that the term used could be considered inflammatory and is incorrect.

I did not delete the comment as I felt that that would have had a detrimental impact on the overall discussion on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the whole thing is hugely damaging for Limerick. I've made the occassional bitchy post about Limerick but on the whole I've found most Limerick people whom I've met to be decent human beings. My husband is English and we regularly go into Limerick to shop, in fact we will be this week. It makes me feel very uncomfortable hearing this utter tripe and hate mongering going on.

I am concerned about my husband getting hassled by these sort of people, just for having an English accent. I think it will have a serious affect on tourism in Limerick particulary with sporting events if people are worried about their safety. My fears might be unfounded, however they are genuine. We've had idiots in Clare pass nasty comments to us years ago simply because he is English and I am Irish.

It is sad to see another minority of scumbags hijacking Limericks reputation, I wonder how many gangland scumbags are members of that organisation.

Advertisement