Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to wait for second license?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi, I joined a shooting club and got myself a lovely Lanber Sporting O/U. I love it, fits well and I like the weight. Now........ My Missus came up with me a few times to shoot clays and she loves it but the Lanber weighs a tonne and she really struggles with it. I bought a lovely little Yildiz, nice and light with 28" barrels, so she could use it whenever she decides to come up. I got it at an amazing price so I'm not worried whether she gets into shooting or loses interest, it'll just mean I've a nice little Field gun in my locker should I ever need it.

My question is: I'm still waiting for my license to come through for my Lanber, Do I need to wait until that comes through before I submit an application for a second firearm?

Is it frowned upon to submit applications for different firearms within a certain time frame considering the Lanber is my first firearm?

If so, how long should I wait to submit the application for the second firearm?

I can't get it in her name because she doesn't want to commit financially to a club just yet and we don't know any land owners to ask for permission.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My question is: I'm still waiting for my license to come through for my Lanber, Do I need to wait until that comes through before I submit an application for a second firearm?
    No.

There is no time limit/frame for the amount of times you may apply or how frequently.
    Is it frowned upon to submit applications for different firearms within a certain time frame considering the Lanber is my first firearm?
    As above - legally. As to whether it's "frowned" upon. Well only your Super will know that. S/he may not like it, but legally rthere is nothing to stop you from doing it.
    Again as above.

However if you are nervous then you could wait, but the question becomes how long. Is a week long, enough, a month, 6 months.
    I can't get it in her name because she doesn't want to commit financially to a club just yet and we don't know any land owners to ask for permission.

You could apply for the second gun as a field gun for gme, and the Lanber for clays only.. You will need to submit letters of permission from landowners or membership of gun/game club to show good reason.

Once you show good reason for each gun you, technically, could apply for as many guns as you want.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi, I joined a shooting club and got myself a lovely Lanber Sporting O/U. I love it, fits well and I like the weight. Now........ My Missus came up with me a few times to shoot clays and she loves it but the Lanber weighs a tonne and she really struggles with it. I bought a lovely little Yildiz, nice and light with 28" barrels, so she could use it whenever she decides to come up. I got it at an amazing price so I'm not worried whether she gets into shooting or loses interest, it'll just mean I've a nice little Field gun in my locker should I ever need it.

If there is no issues with your first licence,then there should be no issues with the second, go ahead and apply,they will ask for a reason for 2nd gun,just tell them for clay shooting again a different category, I know many people with 2nd and 3rd guns for clay shooting with no issues. Go ahead and apply for both the worst he can say is no,good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take both your suggestions on board and go from there. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

If any of the guns is licenced in your name and not hers then she will not have a licence to use it.

That's a very good point. I hadn't considered that. Now she'll only be using it when she is with me as my "Guest" in the club, this gun will not be leaving the club grounds as long as I'm a member. Can she use it when she's with me, in the club as my guest? Or do I need to ask for a club gun any time she is up?

I understand that there is a limit as to how many times she can be my guest, I'm hoping she will have made her mind up as to whether to join the club or not by the time she has reached her limit.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

2(4)(d) says any "a club, shooting range or any other place that stands authorised under this section or section 4A" so it's fine with the Firearms Act so long as the club's authorisation doesn't prohibit it. Course, it has to be fine with the club's rules too!

Thanks Sparks. I'll have a chat with the club and see what their stance is so everything is clear and there's no confusion. Cheers.

Advertisement