Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

totally lost!!

• 08-01-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hope somebody can help me out here please. i am thinking of moving to new zealand asap but i dont know how/ what i need for a visa. i graduated from bar management degree course and have work in the sector for 7 years if thats any use? thanks in advance diarmuid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you - can you get a working holiday visa? (google it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

I am 21, 22 in april, iv been googling everything not great on the old pc! Ha. Im looking tomsee what details i actually need for applying for one if anyone knows that has got one :) thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Click here and have a read

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/default.htm

Pretty straight forward. Apply, pay and leave.

Thanks for that i am applying threw visafirst.com now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Do you have any links to that jacksie66 thanks? Do you have to apply for insurance yourself? If nz didnt work out i would be looking at canada. When do you plan on going yourself? :) Thanks

that's is most helpful thank you :) i am a qualified bar manager with near 5/6 years in the hospitality industry so hopefully that will stand to me

thanks a million again for the information, i get onto things first thing in the morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if you've lots of stuff just ship it separately, 10-12 weeks by sea but cheap enough.

the best way to travel is through LA with AirNZ but it's not the cheapest, good service, brand new planes, decent seat, half empty most flights.
    Avoid Auckland, it's a generic capital type city (though it's not the capital) and isn't that nice.
    Visa are done through the UK if in Ireland and will require you to send your passport over at some point, so do it in a secure fashion!

Visa are done through the UK if in Ireland and will require you to send your passport over at some point, so do it in a secure fashion!

Is this a new thing? I never had to send my passport to the UK? Im away three years though. I thought the working holiday visa is an electronic visa, as in you dont actually get the stamp in your passport until you land.
    I agree with Air New Zealand, great planes best staff but do you really want to fly through the states (Esp LAX) never heard a good story about it!!

Cookie, I live in Auckland and I really like it. Just takes a while to warm to it!

Also, its really easy to sort the visa, insurance, flights and accom yourself. Just takes a little time and patience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is this a new thing? I never had to send my passport to the UK? Im away three years though. I thought the working holiday visa is an electronic visa, as in you dont actually get the stamp in your passport until you land.
    I agree with Air New Zealand, great planes best staff but do you really want to fly through the states (Esp LAX) never heard a good story about it!!

Cookie, I live in Auckland and I really like it. Just takes a while to warm to it!

Also, its really easy to sort the visa, insurance, flights and accom yourself. Just takes a little time and patience!

maybe the hol visas are different, I have a perm resident one so had to do it.
    flying through LAX is good because it's only a 1.5 hr stop over and no security, just a passport check, bags stay on the plane etc.

I didn't think I'd mind auckland, coming from Dublin but maybe cos I've moved to a much smaller place I can't stand big cities now. Same when I go home, hate being in the middle of Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Same when I go home, hate being in the middle of Dublin too.

after a couple of years in Wellington, it really does take a while to get used to the "hustle & bustle" of Dublin. Everyone rushing around, running through traffic, always go, go, go :eek:

I hear ya about the cities. Auckland I can manage. Was in Melbourne and Sydney over Christmas. Wow, those places are busy!!! Delighted getting back here and having all this space again!! Gonna buy some cats to swing around.
    I lived in Queenstown for a while and found it a little small. City boy through and through.

For my work visa, I did have to send my passport to NZ (I was working in OZ at the time) to get the visa sticker. This is probably similar to your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I hear ya about the cities. Auckland I can manage. Was in Melbourne and Sydney over Christmas. Wow, those places are busy!!!

Auckland = Sydney for beginners.

Auckland = Sydney for beginners.

Haha, i suppose. Cant see myself ever living there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hiho1967

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Got my visa approved today. Only took about a day. Twas a piece of piss. All i have to do is print out the details and take it with me in my passport.

Do they ask you for criminal record when applying for working visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

As far as I know they do. Answering yes to "do you have any criminal convictions" will mean you can't do the automatic process and will need to get in touch with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hiho1967

pclancy wrote: »
    As far as I know they do. Answering yes to "do you have any criminal convictions" will mean you can't do the automatic process and will need to get in touch with them.

I was told differently thou. I was told that they only ask for records if your planing on staying for few years. I have convictions for assult, drunken and disorder and growing canabis thou have been a good citizen for 7 years now and kept my nose clean. I have a few convictions up north for assult and lots of driving offences and i think theres been a warrent for my arrest but this goes back 12 years so dont think theyd be still looking me. Im wondering will i get in if i dont disclose these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Told by whom? If I was you I would go straight to the horses mouth and ask Immigration NZ or an official adviser. Or you risk getting refused entry when you get here due to them finding out something about you that you didnt disclose and you end up wasting a lot of money.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

Check out the character requirements on there. As you say if you've been clean and not have a 5+ year sentence then it appears you're OK...but advice from people on the Internet or hearsay must be taken with a pinch of salt and I'd check if I was you before I shelled out money for flights and accom.

hiho1967 wrote: »
    I was told differently thou. I was told that they only ask for records if your planing on staying for few years.QUOTE]

In the WHV, it would be a pclancy said
    If you are you asking about sponsorship/resident type visa, generally need a police report (medical aswell)
    For my work visa (2 1/2 year visa) I has to provied a police report

Advertisement