Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me solve my graphical woes with the Xbox

• 08-01-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me solve some display issues I've been having recently. I've googled for hours, but most threads on it never seem to have the OP issues solved.

The setup:
    Old style xbox 360 - 2006/07 model (no HDMI, so connected via component) to a Sony Bravia kdl32ex340.

The issues:
    1. Motion blur.
    I originally had this problem on my old tv, but I don't know how it was fixed. It seemed to just go away over time. I really can't explain how or why.

To try and explain it, if I'm playing FIFA and a player is running down the wing, especially in the shadow of the stadium on the pitch, the player would leave a trail behind him. It's very annoying.

If I'm playing Farcry 3, and say there is like an electricity line, and I scroll the camera left and right while looking at it, if I pan the camera left and right, I can see the line appearing 1cm above or below where the line actually is, until I stop moving the camera.

On WWE 13, Mark Henry's entrance, his sideburns and nostrils blur all over the screen as he is coming to the ring.

I've turned off all the extra options on the TV, such as Noise Reduction, etc. When I watch stuff on the TV (connecting the laptop via HDMI and watching an NBA game), it looks great. Really good. No motion blur, no issues at all...

2. 1080p (even 720p) looks terrible...only 1080i looks clear
    I thought that changing to 1080p might solve some of the motion blur issues. My Xbox has on 1080i for the last 4 years or so, as my old 26" didn't support 1080p, and 720p looked awful imo (jagged edges, and general not as crisp as 1080i).

I decided to switch to 1080p seeing as my new tv supports it, but it looks terrible. I can see a ghosting of half of the last letter of a word, just after a word. It is not sharp and clear...... generally, it is a whole lot worse than 1080i. I really don't understand this, as 1080p is supposed to be the ultimate.

Seeing as I've tested this on two different TVs, and on both, I see that the progressive scans look terrible, I guess the problem would lie with the xbox.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Would investing in a new 360 and connecting via HDMI solve the problem? I quite like 1080i, and I've never had any issues with it, but I'd love to understand if it can help the motion blur problem I've been seeing, and why the hell it seems to look so rubbish no matter what TV I use.

I'm not against buying a new Xbox with HDMI, but the situation I want to avoid is shelling out €€€ for a new one and still be stuck with the same problems.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A vga cable might be an option if the TV has a vga input.

Advertisement