Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted break in’s around Lusk and also Rush

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Just a word of warning
    We had an attempted break-in last night in Chapel Farm around 23.30, thankfully the dog woke us up.
    They tried to get in the back door which set the alarm off so the scattered.
    The wife went to the Garda station this morning to report it and the Garda on duty told her they were busy in Rush last night with multiple burglaries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ultwen wrote: »
    Just a word of warning
    We had an attempted break-in last night in Chapel Farm around 23.30, thankfully the dog woke us up.
    They tried to get in the back door which set the alarm off so the scattered.
    The wife went to the Garda station this morning to report it and the Garda on duty told her they were busy in Rush last night with multiple burglaries

Exact same thing happened in my Parents last week, Tried Back door and set off the Alarm

What i would say is look out for your neighbours and use your alarm when in house aswell as when out, and this might sound obvious but if a neighbours alarm goes off even going out to show a presence even if it is just walking out the garden and taking a look out.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

On the Rush facebook page, it also mentions that a load of car windows were smashed on South Shore Road around Christmas.

A Garda friend of mine (stationed on the Southside) was telling me that these "gangs" of burglars target one place (in this case Rush) and when the gardaí from the other place (in this case Lusk) are stretched, the burglars the go to town. She said its very common all over the country and has been made worse by stations closing/reducing hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Where abouts in chapel farm was that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are loads of robberies taking place from what I hear. Some people make it easy by leaving keys in front door or leaving back door open. Some will just take the keys out and call back when you are not home. Every week I have about 3 or 4 instances where I call to a house or houses and keys are in door. I usually take them out and tell the people here you can have your keys back. Sometimes they are shocked "Oh I was carrying in the shopping and forgot them" or they pop into neighbours for something and leave door on the lean.

We should all take down numbers of any strange car/vehicles we see or strangers loitering about estates in our areas and report them to Gardái.

A lot of robberies are taking place because some of us get complacent. We can take a number of steps around our own security.
    Don't leave small bathroom windows open, they will have someone small enough to get in as in the past.
    Don't leave keys inside the door on a table.
    Don't leave anything valuable in view to people outside your house
    Don't leave large amounts of cash in your house.
    Lock your sliding porch door if you are going out
    Lock inside doors if you can, if you cant then get locks for inside doors.
    Leave nothing valuable in your car.

There are also bogus people going around checking water pressure if the see Fingal working in your area. Don't let them inside your door. You check the pressure. This happened in Rush 2 weeks ago to an elderly lady with council working up the road.

We should also take down every break-in and crime that is committed and give the lists to our local reps. With 100 more stations to close Gardái are going to be even more stretched and add into the mix our E.U presidency and falling Garda numbers..........

Keep an eye on elderly neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

LeoB wrote: »

I would agree with your post apart from this, it isnt always the best idea as they will burst the doors and leave a hell of a mess behind. Costly job to clean up and fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Davy wrote: »
    I would agree with your post apart from this, it isnt always the best idea as they will burst the doors and leave a hell of a mess behind. Costly job to clean up and fix

id disagrree, it might be a bit of a mess cleaning, but , it should help with insurance claim if it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Never lock internal doors when you're in the house, getting out of a burning house if infinitely more important than stopping a thief getting in.

A big dog is probably the best thief deterrant out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

LeoB wrote: »
    There are loads of robberies taking place from what I hear. Some people make it easy by leaving keys in front door or leaving back door open. Some will just take the keys out and call back when you are not home. Every week I have about 3 or 4 instances where I call to a house or houses and keys are in door. I usually take them out and tell the people here you can have your keys back. Sometimes they are shocked "Oh I was carrying in the shopping and forgot them" or they pop into neighbours for something and leave door on the lean.

We should all take down numbers of any strange car/vehicles we see or strangers loitering about estates in our areas and report them to Gardái.

A lot of robberies are taking place because some of us get complacent. We can take a number of steps around our own security.
    Don't leave small bathroom windows open, they will have someone small enough to get in as in the past.
    Don't leave keys inside the door on a table.
    Don't leave anything valuable in view to people outside your house
    Don't leave large amounts of cash in your house.
    Lock your sliding porch door if you are going out
    Leave nothing valuable in your car.

There are also bogus people going around checking water pressure if the see Fingal working in your area. Don't let them inside your door. You check the pressure. This happened in Rush 2 weeks ago to an elderly lady with council working up the road.

We should also take down every break-in and crime that is committed and give the lists to our local reps. With 100 more stations to close Gardái are going to be even more stretched and add into the mix our E.U presidency and falling Garda numbers..........

Keep an eye on elderly neighbours.

You forgot get a shotgun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Just to update this thread.

our place was done to day between 11am and midday, just outside Lusk.

They shoved a small child through a very small Conservatory window while herself was shopping.

Stole only Jewellary, some Gold/Silver Antique Knives and Forks, 3 Bottles of unopened Perfume, expensive,

Ignored 3 laptops, Digital Camera, Tv DVD etc

According to Garda its a Cash for Gold type outfit.

Two Gold medals presented by Trinity College, and probably other stuff we haven't noticed yet.

House was empty for less than an hour.

What the Ba##ards don't know is that my neighbour's camers covers my back garden, and they can be seen getting in the window. so the Garda have that to go on.

Be careful everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Martin - I'm really sorry to hear that. Thanks for taking the time to give us an update.

Take care...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Sorry to hear that. I believe they are watching houses.
    We where tried last week 2.20 am Saturday night.
    Dog went mad.
    Alarm went off we where lucky that the dog was inside as I hate to think what they may have done to him.

Locks, alarm, stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

martinn123 wrote: »
    Just to update this thread.

our place was done to day between 11am and midday, just outside Lusk.

They shoved a small child through a very small Conservatory window while herself was shopping.

Stole only Jewellary, some Gold/Silver Antique Knives and Forks, 3 Bottles of unopened Perfume, expensive,

Ignored 3 laptops, Digital Camera, Tv DVD etc

According to Garda its a Cash for Gold type outfit.

Two Gold medals presented by Trinity College, and probably other stuff we haven't noticed yet.

House was empty for less than an hour.

What the Ba##ards don't know is that my neighbour's camers covers my back garden, and they can be seen getting in the window. so the Garda have that to go on.

Be careful everyone.

Any idea of what they were driving. There are quite a few on here who are out and about every day. Hope they get nailed. Might be also worth phoning or calling on any elderly neighbours we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

cathy01 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I believe they are watching houses.
    We where tried last week 2.20 am Saturday night.
    Dog went mad.
    Alarm went off we where lucky that the dog was inside as I hate to think what they may have done to him.

Locks, alarm, stay safe.

Cathy, you're in Balbriggan right? Can I ask, or maybe you could pm me the estate. I'm wondering if they've been around my area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Never lock internal doors when you're in the house, getting out of a burning house if infinitely more important than stopping a thief getting in.

closed doors slow the fire spreading big time -bad advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What is 'bad advice'? The poster said "never lock internal doors", they did not say "never close internal doors." ???

Advertisement