Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem DDOSed?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello.

My P-660HW-T1 v3 gets DDOSed every day. In the logs it says "ports scan UDP" and in the Notes sections it says "ATTACK". The IP addresses where I get attacked from are always different. Is there anyway that I can fix this? It's hard to play online games when you get packages constanstly sent to your modem. Arrrghh!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi DezoLord

Can you please PM me your landline number/account number? I will look into this for you.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

DezoLord wrote: »
    Hello.

My P-660HW-T1 v3 gets DDOSed every day. In the logs it says "ports scan UDP" and in the Notes sections it says "ATTACK". The IP addresses where I get attacked from are always different. Is there anyway that I can fix this? It's hard to play online games when you get packages constanstly sent to your modem. Arrrghh!

Thanks in advance.

If it is a genuine attack then they will be spoofed attacks by a rival gamer (Sometimes a friend getting his kicks)

It is very easy to do so using readily available online services which I am not going to link too.

It has become a very widely used thing on XBL and minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Limericks wrote: »
    If it is a genuine attack then they will be spoofed attacks by a rival gamer (Sometimes a friend getting his kicks)

It is very easy to do so using readily available online services which I am not going to link too.

It has become a very widely used thing on XBL and minecraft.
    True but I don't play MC or XBox. I am just wondering if there is a way to fix this? It all started in Sep 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

This is unlikely to be a targeted attack, and more likely to be bots scanning IP ranges automatically. I run a number of webservers, and my logs are full of scary scans and probes, but the reality is that these are automated bots, and are not worth worrying about. All port scans will do is determine what ports on your router/firewall are open... i.e. are forwarded to a listening service. These scans won't affect your performance, as they are dropped at the router. Even if they do get through, it's unlikely that that the volume is anything that will affect your gaming experience.

If you want to see what the actual volume is, download Wireshark, and set it to monitor incoming UDP packets. This will tell you what is actually getting past your router and hitting services on your PC. If you game from another device, such as an XBox, it is a little bit more difficult to see what is getting in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

DezoLord wrote: »
    True but I don't play MC or XBox. I am just wondering if there is a way to fix this? It all started in Sep 2012.

If there is actually something to fix, it would need to be fixed upstream, i.e. by your ISP, which with all due respect to Eircom, is unlikely to happen.

I still stand by the opinion that this is just Internet Background Noise, and not targeted at you. Ensure that your systems are kept up to date to avoid exploit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Thanks to everybody for the answers. I guess I have to do regular Antivirus and SpyBot scans.

Lol, I rang Eircom Technical Support this morning and I was told to clear my browser cache every day. Like seriously... :D

Advertisement