Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancer causing radio waves scanner ... ? [Moved From LTI]

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, first of all apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, not sure where to ask this:

I was wondering if its possible to buy some kind of radio wave scanner to detect possible cancer causing radio waves. Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of moving to a house longterm. For one reason or another, at least one person from pretty much every house in the immediate area has been affected by cancer in one shape or another.

I want to make sure the area is not a high risk before we decide to move... Does anyone know is there any type of scanner available to scan for radio waves/radiation etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

moved from LTI, OP, probably better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

google Geopathic Stress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ando wrote: »
    I was wondering if its possible to buy some kind of radio wave scanner to detect possible cancer causing radio waves. Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of moving to a house longterm. For one reason or another, at least one person from pretty much every house in the immediate area has been affected by cancer in one shape or another.
    To be blunt radio waves don't cause cancer.

Yes health problems can be caused by high doses of radio, but you are talking such high doses that carrying metal objects in the same area is not recommended. Rule of thumb ,when the fluorescent tube in your hand stops glowing then you're probably far enough back from the transmitter :pac:

To cause cancer you either enough energy to cause physical cell damage and even then it's very unlikely and you'll die of the physical damage first anyway or ionising energy which breaks bonds. Radio is non-ionising. Five billion people have mobile phones, still no evidence that it's worse for you than eating a slice of burnt toast on sunny day.

The big danger is ionising radiation.
    Real threats are - Radon gas, make sure the house is well ventilated
    Sunlight , Smoking and other enviromental carcinogens.
    If it's an old property check for lead pipes / lead paint / asbestos on the door to the garage. Make sure the place isn't damp, cold or draughty , Ireland has an atrocious record for increased mortality in winter.

humans are good at spotting patterns even when they don't exist.
    one in three people will get cancer in their lives , given the average family size it's a pretty safe bet that you don't need the law of averages to find areas where lots of people have cancer

Irish cancer atlas - yes there are regional variations
    http://www.ncri.ie/atlas/atlas_contents.shtml

if you seriously think there is a risk of cancer then do a survey of people in the area - maybe you've found a real hotspot and if so then maybe the cause could be investigated and future generations protected

or you could buy one of those multi function phase testing screw drivers with a battery and LED (not the old neon bulb ones), they light up when near a microwave oven or when very close to a power cable. They cost about a fiver and will pickup radio waves way below levels at which any biological activity has been found.

They cost more online
    http://www.rscsupplies.com/mains-tester-screwdriver---multi-function-654-p.asp
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/faithfull-fht-9818-mainstester-screwdriver-multi-function-p41147

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Also, the big ball of light in the sky radiates more and a broader spectrum of radiation than most other things

Advertisement