Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company wins their own Facebook competition

• 08-01-2013 12:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Skillens, a jewellers in Co. Down, ran a Facebook competition in December - a like and share competition to win a diamond and tanzanite ring. A few days ago, they announced the winner and posted a photo of the winner and her husband with the prize. Only... oops, the winner, Lynda Speers, was commenting on the picture and she forgot she was logged in as the Skillens Facebook account!

You can see the screenshots and the awful "statement" released by the company here: http://www.bitterwallet.com/big-stink-caused-over-lovely-ring-facebook-prize/61625

Makes you wonder how often companies do this and get away with it.

Comments

What if their statement is true though?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Did you read it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

She is currently being cared for by family who fear for her health, that the stress of all this will cause a heart attack or the like.

sweet jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ahahahahahahahaha

Love when stuff like this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The statement could be true, but a few of comments allege that members of the winners family have the surname "Skillen".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The statement seems plausible although a very strange thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I wonder did he put the hat on to give her the signal?

What if their statement is true though?

People were jealous, so they added her as an admin to their company Facebook page and gave her free will to delete any posts she wanted? Hardly likely.

People were calling it a fix, and then she accidentally posted from the company account, pretty much proving that it was actually a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Statement reads like Bull sh1t to me, I know because i've read a lot of Bull sh1t in my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

Hehehe
    This is the best thing since slice pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Cue Father Ted quote/youtube clip....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Happens all the time I'm sure.

Penn wrote: »
    People were jealous, so they added her as an admin to their company Facebook page and gave her free will to delete any posts she wanted? Hardly likely.
    It does sound ridiculous, but there's no limit on the depths of human stupidity. So while ridiculous, it's actually plausible that the company could just be that dumb.

However, if the other allegations are true about her not having shared the photo and being at least related to the company, then it's clearly a bull**** statement.

Actually, if there had been a lot of vindictive messages directed towards the winner, why on earth would they add her as an admin, thereby ensuring that she'd end up reading most of them? Get a trusted family member to do it.

Sorry, but their statement just makes very little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

From statement

This must stop, she is a very decent lady, and going thorugh a mini nervous breakdown it would seem, yet has done no wrong. Any existing customer knows my staff, and knows this is a witch hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Sounds to me like this man is sleeping with Lynda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stung rapid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Penn wrote: »

People were calling it a fix, and then she accidentally posted from the company account, pretty much proving that it was actually a fix.

I think you can delete any comment. I do it the whole time. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Statement is nonsense, they were caught out and now trying to make her seem like a victim.

According to one of the comments on that site, the "winner" didn't even share the post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

And this is why you shouldn't do any marketing on Facebook if you don't know what you're doing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I heard that it was conducted via a rigged raffle and it was pre-meditated that she was to have the winning ticket number 11. But, it took her ages to realise that she had the winning ticket because she was reading it upside down!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

seamus wrote: »
    The statement could be true, but a few of comments allege that members of the winners family have the surname "Skillen".

Apparently, a few members of the Skillens' and Speers' families had each other listed as "cousins" on their Facebook pages, prior to the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

WE exchanged telephone numbers.

Definitely worth a Dougal comment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You don't give random people admin access to your fb account, even if they did win a prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Fair play to the owner of the place with his statement actually managing to convince some people with his very far-fetched yarn. It reminds me of a child making up some very elaborate excuse as to why the packet of biscuits is all eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

smash wrote: »
    You don't give random people admin access to your fb account, even if they did win a prize.

In fact you can't give admin access to a facebook page to someone who you aren't facebook friends with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

We're talking national scandal.

Down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

K-9 wrote: »
    WE exchanged telephone numbers.

I wonder did he give her a ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

smash wrote: »

You do if you haven't a breeze about social network marketing.

I'm really not sure I buy the statement to be honest- and all this guilt-tripping saying she's having a nervous breakdown etc/about to have a heart attack is despicable. People are within their rights to ask questions about the whole debacle, especially after the slip up of writing while still signed in as the jewelers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ha that's gas, fraudsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They deleted their Facebook page.

Yeah, it's looking like a Ghost Town as the Stranglers would say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

WindSock wrote: »
    Like and share to win a 2k ring from a small business seems unlikely, however if this is a marketing ploy, it's very good indeed.

Where did you see the value? 2k is a pretty small ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Dodge wrote: »
    In fact you can't give admin access to a facebook page to someone who you aren't facebook friends with.

erm... give them a username and password and they have admin access !! you dont need to be friends with them on facebook !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

This is all i have to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNxCvDYpmxE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Well the last raffle I was at the person who ran the raffle actually won it, so it's not that uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Corkbah wrote: »
    erm... give them a username and password and they have admin access !! you dont need to be friends with them on facebook !!

Thats not how facebook pages work. In this case, the owner would have to the women access to his/her facebook personal account and tell them how to access the facebook page etc. Do you think thats likely?

There isn't a Facebook page username and password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

FFS, we're never going to find out the answer here.

Someone who cares just shoehorn it into a deception offence and bang it off to the local Gardaí.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Even if their story was legit (which I highly doubt is, I've heard 4 year old come out with better stories than that), they could at least have made an effort with the statement. So badly written and so sensationalist- it makes it hilarious rather than any way believable!

What were they thinking? Surely they could build up their "likes" in a far less ridiculous way. Weird.

Meangadh wrote: »
    What were they thinking? Surely they could build up their "likes" in a far less ridiculous way. Weird.
    I'm sure this kind of thing is absolutely rife in facebook competitions, especially where the business is a small one and the prize seems exceptionally good.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually advised to do this by cowboy "social media experts".

Completely dissimilar, a client of mine runs a small jewellery shop and held a facebook competition for €500 worth of jewellery. The winner asked if she could have the €500 in cash because she had her eye on a piece of jewellery in another shop. Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Dodge wrote: »

So explain how i was made admin of a page without being friends with the person.

Donerkebab wrote: »
    So explain how i was made admin of a page without being friends with the person.
    TYou only have to like the page to be adminned, you don't have to be friends with them.

antodeco wrote: »
    Jaysus, that second picture is nearly NSFW!!

I know, hardcore stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

FFS, we're never going to find out the answer here.

Someone who cares just shoehorn it into a deception offence and bang it off to the local Gardaí.

Trouble is the Gardaí probably can't do anything about it seeing as the company was based in Co Down.

I think advertising and these 'like' competitions on Facebook are a bit of a mystery legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

LOL the feckin eejits. They were deffo caught out big time, but does it reallly matter? they're company will get a bad rep alright but sher what do they sell only feckin jewellery, Not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Is this what's known as 'ring sting'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

• Advertisement
Advertisement