Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company wins their own Facebook competition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Dodge wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is worried about it. Most find it funny, others not so much but not everything on an internet forum has to be serious discussion

And nothing on AH could be regarded as serious discussion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Damn, people are dumb. If you're going to rig a competition, at least don't be dumb about it.

I'd guess this sort of stuff is rife. I've signed up for samples of products in the past (which require email address) and all I've ever received are emails about their products.

Most of it's just a marketing ploy, probably suggested by cowboy "media experts".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Madam_X wrote: »
    Well that's totally fair enough - and pretty much what I'm saying; I'm not ruling out the possibility completely - I know of it happening in local draws and stuff. But sh1t like "I'm sure it happens all the time" is what's laughable.
    I also think marketing experts might have the authority to debunk some of the whiny assumptions.

Like so many conspiracy theories: too much risk of being found out, too fantastical to be thought of as a scam beforehand and to go that smoothly, etc.

Ah, bless your naivety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I can say that big companies prizes have been rigged as I know people who "won". Now it was only twice and not a draw in the company offices. Big enough prizes worth 1-2k. Not rigged by the company but employees and family.

There is no doubt this shop has been caught out. It will be interesting if fraud charges can be brought. No fee to enter and via FB so probably no precedent set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Ah, bless your naivety.
    Ok so Morph, bring on the evidence. Or is it just a "feeling" you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A taximan or bloke down the pub told him/her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Corkbah wrote: »
    at this point its obvious that all the evidence points towards the whole thing being a setup.

information gathered from this thread:
    1) local winner from over 9000 entrants

http://i.imgur.com/x0UAj.jpg

Eh, the evidence has been presented in glaring fashion already. e.g. Lynda accidentally forgetting to log out of the Jewellers account before posting as herself. She never shared & liked the photo in the first place - thereby not even entering the competition. Plus the Skillens are her relatives on FB - cousins, in fact. Then Skillen's "defense" statements not holding any water about the techincal end of how she was able to post as them.

But don't let all that evidence get in the way of being a gullible sucker. It's co-incidence, right?

In all seriousness though, PM me about some beans I have for sale - you won't believe the sh*t these things can do!!
    A taximan or bloke down the pub told him/her

Yeah, either that or it's glaring obvious and only a gullible fool would buy their sorry excuse.

Eh, the evidence has been presented in glaring fashion already. e.g. Lynda accidentally forgetting to log out of the Jewellers account before posting as herself. She never shared & liked the photo in the first place - thereby not even entering the competition. Plus the Skillens are her relatives on FB - cousins, in fact. Then Skillen's "defense" statements not holding any water about the techincal end of how she was able to post as them.

But don't let all that evidence get in the way of being a gullible sucker. It's co-incidence, right?

Yeah, either that or it's glaring obvious and only a gullible fool would buy their sorry excuse.
    Ah... you mean just this case. I thought I made it clear I do think there's something dodgy about it.

Ah... you mean just this case. I thought I made it clear I do think there's something dodgy about it.

Well, you are naive to think this doesn't happen regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought it was really funny when he claimed she might have a heart attack

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And her point is that you're a cynic. Wonder which of the pair of you is happier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, that's a hell of a thing for a company to say about a competition winner they have no connection to.

She could well have had one when she realised her error by posting on the company account.
    Or soiled her pants.

Why? In fairness I don't believe it *never* happens but to believe... with no evidence and just for the sake of being a malcontent, that it happens really regularly... what's the point of that? Just smacks of teenage "Man, all businesses are out to get us" kinda thinking. Real "edgy" stuff. ;)

And her point is that you're a cynic. Wonder which of the pair of you is happier?

Not a cynic - a realist. Would prefer the harsh truth over sticking my head in the sand any day.
    "I don't hear about it or see it happen, so it doesn't happen - laadedadada".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not a cynic - a realist. Would prefer the harsh truth over sticking my head in the sand any day.

What evidence do you have that you are realistic?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why? In fairness I don't believe it *never* happens but to believe... with no evidence and just for the sake of being a malcontent, that it happens really regularly... what's the point of that? Just smacks of teenage "Man, all businesses are out to get us" kinda thinking. Real "edgy" stuff. ;)

Yawn - right, so it's now classed as a conspiracy wacko theory to believe something that's highly believable and very likely? Yeah, I'm must be just showing off because I'm an angsty teen...

K-9 wrote: »
    What evidence do you have that you are realistic?

What evidence do you have that anything you have ever done matters in any way?

• Advertisement

No I never stick my head in the sand, nor do I just decide to believe stuff with no evidence.

What "harsh truth"?

You're only talking about facebook competitions possibly being rigged FFS, calm down with the rhetoric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

DaDumTish wrote: »
    this woman was just resting in their account

The ring was just resting in that woman?

They were just resting in that woman's ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What evidence do you have that anything you have ever done matters in any way?

So you're a cynic then, fair enough. No need to be so defensive.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yawn - right, so it's now classed as a conspiracy wacko theory to believe something that's highly believable and very likely? Yeah, I'm must be just showing off because I'm an angsty teen...
    Looks that way. And being all anti corporate and anti The Man.

So it's not "harsh truth", it's now "very likely and believable". Why? Because you just... have a hunch is it and you want it to be true?
    You don't appear to know anything about business and marketing and the associated legalities... I do.

But yeh, all businesses are OUT TO GET US! Some of them even have the NERVE to expect us to pay for the goods and services they provide! :mad:

Seriously though, if you have a strong hunch competitions are rigged all the time (why though? To what ends?) that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but please don't state it's a fact or call others naive for thinking more critically about it, without evidence. Until you have evidence, you don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If people want to put their time where their mouth is : https://report.psni.police.uk/Default.aspx

On-line reporting system for the PNSI.

If you feel that strongly report it on-line and let the authorities know.
    Something may happen.

I personally have too much to do over the next few days to deal with this, but if you really care, report it.

People bitch and moan about no one doing anything, but then they never let the people whose job it is to do something, know that the problem exists.

• Advertisement

People bitch and moan about no one doing anything, but then they never let the people whose job it is to do something, know that the problem exists.
    You don't think this will hit the mainstream media? I think this will break open very quickly over the next few days.
    It has all the desired story aspects and will be picked up. There is already bound to be somebody writing an article and the police contacted.
    Business will probably suffer a lot. I would avoid the shop as would many others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You don't think this will hit the mainstream media? I think this will break open very quickly over the next few days.
    It has all the desired story aspects and will be picked up. There is already bound to be somebody writing an article and the police contacted.
    Business will probably suffer a lot. I would avoid the shop as would many others

What makes you so certain that someone else reported it?

In fact, in circumstances where the shop are denying any wrongdoing, how do you know the papers will bother to report it?

In fact, in circumstances where the shop are denying any wrongdoing, how do you know the papers will bother to report it?

If someone reported it to the police then there is a story for the media to go with.
    Something along the lines of

"PSNI in Down have confirmed that they have received complaints about an alleged fraud in a competition run by a local jewelers on social media site facebook.
    The allegation is that the competition run by Skillens Jewellers in Castlewellan was rigged and the winner, Lynda Speers was a family member of the owners. Furthermore the allegation is that the competition organiser was herself the competition administrator as she inadvertently posted in a personal capacity as competition winner using the company's facebook account. Neither the competition winner or the shop concerned were available for comment and their facebook pages no longer exist. The story went viral today and was widley commented on the highly respected After hours section of Boards.ie. PSNI continue to investigate."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think I've found some evidence in relation to this.
    Am I allowed to put a picture of someone's facebook profile up here?

You could just answer with your beliefs rather than answer with a question. I have stated why and how.
    Having lived long enough and reading papers I have a fair idea what is an interesting story. Half expecting it on the cover of the Metro tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

I work in the industry and know about competitions on Facebook and all that jazz.

Despite quite a few smaller companies doing it - these share and like to win a prize competitions are complete bs - they are against Facebook business page terms and conditions and Facebook could shut down their page if they wanted to.

Competitions advertised on Facebook need to be hosted outside of Facebook in order to prevent happening exactly what happened. PR disaster for the company but they've been doing wrong from the very beginning.

Pretty much out of all these competitions you see no one is winning anything as they can get away with it no problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How long till someone famous says this is cyber bullying and they need to regulate against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

ajcurry123 wrote: »

Mod: yes.

(probably not)

ajcurry123 wrote: »

Read the charter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Look, I've done a bit of Sherlock Holmes on the matter, and after careful and meticiolous consideration, it is clear it is a fix, as judged by the expression of the womans face in the photo. I present to you a person who has just won a 2K ring, one would be rather elated, wouldn't you say? Yet the person in question looks quite glum and not at all excited at the awarding of said ring. The person must have expectated winning in advance, is not a good actor, and hence, a lack of surprise in her facial expressions.
    Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭J Bourke

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

new statement from the company about the fixed competition

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

I will never make a purchase at Skillen's Jewellers over this scandal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not the smartest by the jewelers - if they are indeed guilty which I think they are based on what I've read - but the level/amount of hate being thrown at them I find surprising. I mean seriously, who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 BobLoblaw77

I was following the comments on facebook, and for most of the day the breakdown was about

70% genuine sympathy for the woman
    20% either couldn't care less or thought it was suspicious.
    10% thought they acted in a fraudulent manner.

Once a radio station got involved, that 10% started going up. Then the owner started digging... and didn't want to stop. Said the customer was going through a mental breakdown, and could have a heart attack. Then changed tact and started threating everyone with legal action. At that stage very few comments were in support. At which point the page was pulled.

Although the situation (not the woman's predicament) was funny, people just started getting angry at the comments from the owner. They'd have been better off just deleting the facebook page immediately and saying nothing. Instead by trying to justify it, it's gone viral. Who knows whether their version is true. I very much doubt it, but a degree of cop on is required at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Is there any legal issue around a company giving a member of the public admin rights? Could there be customer information stored there she shouldn't have access to? Does it violate Data Protection Act?

If it isn't a scam, they've still broken Facebook T&Cs and I find giving her admin to their site to be very ethically dubious. That would be enough reason not to shop there or engage with their company in and of itself for me.

Facebook pages hold no customer information at all. You can see who liked the page, and no more

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

I honestly assumed it happened quite a bit too. You almost never hear about the people who win any of these competitions. Are these companies who set the competitions legally required to publicly release the results and winners?

Most people who enter and don't win usually just forget they even entered and would never check up to see who actually won.

I have won a similar competition but for a local theatre, 13 people liked but I was the only one to share as well so I won by default lol

Facebook pages hold no customer information at all. You can see who liked the page, and no more

Cool, thanks for that. What if someone sends on information via PM or similar?

Is there anything ethical about giving admin to a member of the public for a private business?

EDIT: On Jan 2nd Skillens posted:
    “This promotion is no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Skillens and not to Facebook.”

It's the 'providing your information' part that has me concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The statement seems plausible although a very strange thing to do.
    It does in it's boll0x seem plausible!

No company would give a complete stranger access and log-in details to their Facebook account. A total cock and bull excuse if ever I heard one.

Cool, thanks for that. What if someone sends on information via PM or similar?
    Yeah, admin could see that. But no business would use facebook like that IMO
    Is there anything ethical about giving admin to a member of the public for a private business?
    Yes, but it didn't happen
    EDIT: On Jan 2nd Skillens posted:

It's the 'providing your information' part that has me concerned.
    Don't be too concerned, they're clearly lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

grenache wrote: »
    It does in it's boll0x seem plausible!

No company would give a complete stranger access and log-in details to their Facebook account. A total cock and bull excuse if ever I heard one.

You dont their need login details to be an admin.

Cheers Dodge! I'm just curious more than anything. It just seems no matter what they did that there is imporper practices. I'm assuming innocence until proven otherwise, but even still they have done a lot wrong here.

I can see this being taught in media classes for a while!

I would have thought no business would use Facebook THIS way let alone in the hypothetical I mentioned.

• Advertisement

Well that's totally fair enough - and pretty much what I'm saying; I'm not ruling out the possibility completely - I know of it happening in local draws and stuff. But sh1t like "I'm sure it happens all the time" is what's laughable.
    I also think marketing experts might have the authority to debunk some of the whiny assumptions.

Like so many conspiracy theories: too much risk of being found out, too fantastical to be thought of as a scam beforehand and to go that smoothly, etc.

"Marketing experts" who advise on running such competitions? The competitions are run against facebook's rules for a start so any "marketing expert" suggesting such a competition straightaway isn't too worried about things being done properly.

Advertisement