Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat problem

• 08-01-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,050 ✭✭✭✭

Saw two rats near my dog kennels at the bottom of the garden.
    First time i've seen them, they must be after their food.
    How do i get rid of them without harming dogs.
    Any tips appreciated. Are there poisons which will not harm the dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No there aren't poisons that won't harm the dog, the more humane option is a bog standard wooden rat trap (larger than your average mouse trap) they are quick and more humane than poison. You might need to secure the food on the trap with sellotape and place the trap in a long pipe so the dog can't accidently step on it, and out of the way of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Do what above poster said about getting rat traps. If you place them in pipes laid out chances are dogs will play with pipes. I'd lay a bunch of rat traps by kennels and just keep dogs indoors for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,050 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are there machines that make noise and scare them away. A noise humans are incapable of hearing or is that just rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ferrets are your only man
    Where are you livin
    I could bring the ferrets to yours or if you want another trick that works is ferrets sh1t just few droppings around area
    Rat smells this and will vacate the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The best option is a snap trap, get a good quality one and death will be instantaneous, just watch out because it'll break your fingers no problem. Put the trap, baited (I like to use hot buttered toast or ham and cheese spread, other people recommend rasher rinds or chocolate. Whatever you use tie it on well) along the rat run, which will be in near a wall. Make sure that your dogs can't get to it by, if necessary, cutting a hole in either side of a biscuit tin and putting the trap in there with the lid taped on. Rats are neophobes; they're nervous of new things, so it'll probably take a couple of days for them to take the bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,050 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ferrets are your only man
    Where are you livin
    I could bring the ferrets to yours or if you want another trick that works is ferrets sh1t just few droppings around area
    Rat smells this and will vacate the area
    A friend has ferrets so I will mention it to him, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard mixed things about ferrets, some say that the mere smell of them will send rats running, others say that the only way they'll get rid of rats is when they get the rat in their jaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

kylith wrote: »
    I've heard mixed things about ferrets, some say that the mere smell of them will send rats running, others say that the only way they'll get rid of rats is when they get the rat in their jaws.
    There are some theories
    If they are just regular passer by rats then they will move once they smell ferrets
    Other hand One I came across is if there's enough rats that live permanent there'd be a head rat kinda like big boss and he'd be a big male
    He will not move and will fight the ferret
    it's a risk if you put your Jill after a male rat
    He might kill her but on other hand my two hobs are huge and have killed large rats before
    So those are the two theories I've came across

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Put some peppermint plants down, they keep away from the smell of peppermint. You heard it here.

Advertisement