Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house in Athlone with a dog

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Are many people renting in Athlone with a dog?

I can't believe how pretty much no where even entertains the idea of a dog. Pretty much every house we rang about as soon as dog is mentioned its a no go.

The dog is house trained, doesnt chew at anything and in general is a pretty quite dog. Also my GF is at home with the dog all the time so there is someone to keep an eye on her. Oh well, obviously people are not too interested in our money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

There are a few people I know of around Monksland/River Village area renting and some have dogs, so its not imposible to find a place... maybe don't mention the dog when asking about the house :p

We had a dog when renting in River Village and it was no problem to our landlord either. We always rented through Hynes Estage Agents, maybe give them a call and see if they have anything on offer to suite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I did before but never again. I rented with a dog when I was in college. But they are notorious. Never pay the rent, eat your food as well as theirs and mess up their bed and want you to make it up for them. They're worse than women, I tells ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Na shes fairly good lookin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I had the same problem in a few Westmeath towns. It's surprisingly difficult. Lots of old school keep the dog in the yard thinking out there. I eventually stopped mentioning the dog and didn't have any problems finding a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

percy212 wrote: »
    I had the same problem in a few Westmeath towns. It's surprisingly difficult. Lots of old school keep the dog in the yard thinking out there. I eventually stopped mentioning the dog and didn't have any problems finding a place.

Agreed. Just don't mention the dog and see how you go. If it says no dogs allowed then obvioulsy you'd be walking yourself into trouble leasewise and they'd snaffle your deposit etc. But you don't need that advice, you're wise. Hope you get a place for you and the dog. where I am in Mountmellick, in apartments, every 2nd apartment has a dog. They're not supposed to, but hey......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hey Guys,

I can't believe how pretty much no where even entertains the idea of a dog. Pretty much every house we rang about as soon as dog is mentioned its a no go.

The dog is house trained, doesnt chew at anything and in general is a pretty quite dog. Also my GF is at home with the dog all the time so there is someone to keep an eye on her. Oh well, obviously people are not too interested in our money!

Just wondering if you got sorted in the end and did you end up not mentioning the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

syklops wrote: »
    Just wondering if you got sorted in the end and did you end up not mentioning the dog?

Pretty late to be replying (sorry!)

We did eventually get sorted.

It was kind of a strange way of getting sorted though. My Aunt knew someone who was emigrating and they said they would be looking to Rent their house, and my Aunt asked them did they mind dogs and they didnt. So it went from there.

We were upfront about the dog (they met the dog before hand and all!).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

We did eventually get sorted.

Glad to hear you got sorted..

I was looking at houses outside Athlone (co roscommon parts) the other day.. there are some pretty big houses (4 and 5 beds) with plenty of garden going for €500 to €600 a month!! I couldn't believe the prices I was seeing!

Advertisement