Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Android phone.

• 08-01-2013 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My daughter is going to America in a couple of days. She's heard that handsets are quite cheap out there and wants to get a new Android phone (and one for me too :D ).

I'm looking for thoughts on what are the best handsets out there. If you could list your drool list 1,2 and 3, That would be great.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

My top 3 would be;
    galaxy s3
    One x +
    Note 2.

If you can get your hands on a nexus 4 I'd buy that because of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nexus 4 has to be top of the list.
    SIM free, unlocked for around €280 after currency conversion.

Don't know where she heard handsets are cheap in the US. They are cheap on contract but buying SIM free phones (GSM) phones isn't in the US. That's why the Nexus 4 is a such a bargain.

Got to be careful buying phones in the US as Verizon & Sprint are CDMA networks and to complicate matters more, the LTE networks used in the US are not compatible with future LTE in UK & Ireland.
    The Galaxy S3 sold in the US is not the same as sold in Europe, Asia, same with One X and Note. Different internals which are for US networks only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the network, as long as it's capable of using the GSM 900/1800/1900 Mhz frequencies, it'll work here, right?

If she can't get the handsets cheap she'll be coming home empty handed, I guess. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I had the onex (not the + mind) and the currently the Note 2,the note 2 is a monster in size and power,very good battery life and yet to see any slow down,but the onex was a lovely phone to hold in your hand very nicely made and could do basically what the note2 can do.I find Samsung Galaxy on design pales in comparion to the htc onex .

So if i was you I get the onex+ over the samsung s3 unless you want the bigger screen get the note 2.
    If only htc would bring out there own version of the note 2 Id be all over it oh well.

I never held with a nexus 4 and only know the spec but if its anything like the nexus 7 then its going to be unreal

I hope this helps!

Advertisement