Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - Dublin City

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

The rental market seems to be insane!

None of the places I've called about on daft are actually available.

Plenty of agents proving very difficult to contact.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Evening Herald time......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

What part of Dublin are you looking at?
    Even when there were loads of properties on daft, I always counted myself lucky when I got calls back from about half the agents I called. Broaden your search perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

smccarrick wrote: »
    Evening Herald time......

thats a flash back. I remember many an evening sitting down circling properties calling from pay phone and been told it was gone. Or going to see a place which was a smelly and damp and crazy rental prices. Being interviewed like it was a job by idi***..... them memories... I remember one evening going to a place in rathgar with a friend no hats or umbrellas with very heavy rain.. we looked like drowned rats.. there was no way we were getting that place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

You may broaden your search. There are always tons of people looking houses in Dublin. The last flat viewing I was at must have had 30 people at it. Place looked tiny because of it. (was a ****hole anyway).

Broaden your search, set up email alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rental market has been like that for over a year at this stage. Lots of existing renters being asked for increases too by landlords.

Best advice I can give you?

(a) Don't give up; keep calling - don't email. Call to letting agent offices if you can. Keep at them but be polite and nice - make them feel bad about not contacting you etc.

(b) Have all your references ready; you'll generally need one from a previous landlord and one professional reference from work (basically a letter saying you're gainfully employed). A lot of places look for Bank Statements but that is something I would only use as a last resort to get a place. Its a serious invasion of privacy imo.

(c) If you can (and its not always possible) try and have the deposit good to go. Do not give it in cash! Cheques are usually a good idea, bank drafts even better but very inflexible so make sure you have the place and its for the right amount. Always, always get a receipt if you haven't got the keys.

(d) Don't settle for second best; a lot of Daft properties that on there have been listed for a while or you see the same places coming up again and again. There's a reason for this; they're holes. Bear in mind you'll be living there for a year so get a place you're happy with and not just a roof over your head.

Happy house hunting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement