Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducted Air Circulation

• 08-01-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

For many reasons, not least cost, and difficult plumbing, a new stove with boiler is not something I am going to get. I'm just going to go with non-boiler stove to heat my living room which is at one end of a not very large bungalow.

So I've been trying to figure out a way to get excess heat that will be in my living room in to other rooms in my house. In particular, I'm looking at ways to transfer heat after bedtime and when the fire may still be lighting, or when we are out of the house and the fire is lighting.

So one thing I came across is this 'Ducted Air Circulation' solution:

http://www.homeefficiencygroup.com.au/DuctedAirTransferSystems/Whatarethey/tabid/304/Default.aspx

What is off putting is the fact that this is an Australian website albeit Tasmanian, so somewhat similar to milder side of an Irish winter climate.

Has anyone ever experienced this in this country?

Some of the considerations I can think of:

- condensation - I don't know if this will improve or make worse already existing window condensation problems which is not that bad anyway and a seperate discussion.

- Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in all rooms that have a ducted air supply.

Now I'm not saying that I will not have to turn on the boiler to heat the bedrooms but I'm just hoping that this will help bring the temperature up a bit and allow less use of oil.

Also, apart from an electrical supply to the air pump in the attic, the whole system looks very DIY.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Google vesta technology they do ducted warm air systems off stoves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Do you want a ducted air circulation system specifically? Mechanical heat recovery systems do something very similar and are fairly common now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Do you want a ducted air circulation system specifically? Mechanical heat recovery systems do something very similar and are fairly common now.

My house is quite old now, a typical 1970s bungalow. And whilst I am in the process of pumping the walls, and getting good loft insulation put in, I do not think I will ever be able to consider my house air tight. I was under the impression that heat recovery systems work best in an air tight house. Am I wrong?

However, specifically, I am looking for a system to transfer warm air via a duct in the attic from the living room to at least 2 rooms in at the other end of the house, if not, all the rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You are not wrong - mhrv works best with an airtight home. I dont really have much experiences with dac. Demand control ventilation might give you some search results worth reading though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 richiekilkelly

Colm R wrote: »

My house is quite old now, a typical 1970s bungalow. And whilst I am in the process of pumping the walls, and getting good loft insulation put in, I do not think I will ever be able to consider my house air tight. I was under the impression that heat recovery systems work best in an air tight house. Am I wrong?

However, specifically, I am looking for a system to transfer warm air via a duct in the attic from the living room to at least 2 rooms in at the other end of the house, if not, all the rooms.

If you contact the Irish Ventilation Industry Association or any of their members you will get professional advise free of charge. www.ivia.ie Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement