Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Newspapers

• 08-01-2013 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Do you buy/read the local newspapers? Are they worth the paper they are written on?

Very rarely (maybe once a month at most) the Post or Chronicle will get dropped through my letter box and I'll flick through to see if I recognise anyone before it ends up in my recycling.

I haven't bought the Leader in about 5 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I never read the Leader but get the post every week! seems to be more advertisements then anything these days!! enjoy reading it tho! nice to know what's going on around! (fully aware free newspaper is expensive to run and adverts are main source of funding!! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd say 70% of the people that buy the Leader is for the sports in the back. The rest of the paper is usually very poor but their junior soccer coverage is excellent with upcoming fixtures, results and tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant remember the last time I bought the Leader - so much news is accessible on the internet, through social media that I dont ever feel like reading them!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

I buy the 2 small Leaders, the Chronicle and the Big Leader every week without fail and they are a complete waste of money. The price has increased again by 5c on all publications this week. Paid €1.15 for Chronicle today and I'd say 6 or 7 of the 28 pages are out and about pictures. There was probably only one worthwhile article in it today which related to the old gasworks site on the Dock Road and its future plans.

I have tried to convince myself not to buy them but I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I find the Post okay but the Leader is like the local radio station - devoid of content..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

I pick up the post most weeks but never bother with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

The post has very good well written articles on Healthy living and nutrition. Can't remember the name of the author. Other than that, it's handy for the classified ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A line thats actually courtesy of Victor Meldrew......

- The Limerick Post is free but you still feel cheated afterwards.

The Limerick Leader on the other hand is not free leading to feelings of self-loathing and utter violation 20 seconds after purchase by which time you've also read it entirely.

I especially love the amount of copying and pasting that goes on in the Limerick Post - seems to often have articles cut from everywhere and horsed in there in a mad hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A waste of trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I get both the Post and the Leader almost every week. I find the Post sometimes has the scoop on new developments in the city and their interviews in the business section often have people outlining their future plans for the city. I like the University Arena news in the sports section but mostly I look at it for the ads and to see what's on. They have finally sorted out their formatting so there seems to be no more random sentences wedged between two photos. They have a great digital edition that comes out on the Friday I think so you don't even have to bother to pick one up.

The Leader is fine for local events and the like but their asset is the sports section. The Hogespot is back after a hiatus and is a good read. In fairness to them their website is very good and it seems to be one of the most popular local newspaper websites in the country. I would rarely buy the smaller Leaders because they are just full of gossipy crap. Can anyone explain why The Chronicle exists? Why don't they just rebrand it as the Leader seeing as it's all the same staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Like the post, I read the digital edition online in stead of the actual paper. The Leader is utter rubbish imo. It has drastically gone down hill in recent years and would do anything for a story. I used read the small leader but stopped about 2 years ago. Wouldnt pay 2.20 or whatever it is for the weekend edition
    I prefer the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

pigtown wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why The Chronicle exists? Why don't they just rebrand it as the Leader seeing as it's all the same staff.

It exists as The Limerick Chronicle is the longest running newspaper in the country and it would be a shame to end it now even if it is filled with tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Have a sign on the door for no newspapers or junk mail so, never get the free post or whatever else is coming in my letterbox, but I do read the online edition of the post weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It exists as The Limerick Chronicle is the longest running newspaper in the country and it would be a shame to end it now even if it is filled with tripe.

Would imagine that, in name at least, that it would be one of the longest running newspapers in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Voucher for Eddie (Rob your Pockets) Rockets is the best thing in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The only one I normally read is the Limerick Post although I'm starting to get sick of looking at Celia Holman Lee's grinning mug every single week in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Post and Chrono get dropped in my door, I'll sometimes flick through the leader when I see it.

Only ever really read em though if I'm checking to see am I gonna be eating that week or not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I don't buy the leader ever since they outsourced it, I find the news is always old news as its printed in the north and takes a day to get here.

Advertisement