Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a toilet

• 08-01-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. I need to temporarily move a toilet as i need to tile behind/under it. My issue is that the toilet is an all in one with no external valves, pipework etc. Logically i assume i can knock off the water supply, remove the floor bolts and then get access to the pipework underneath the toilet but i was hoping someone could confirm this before i go ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yes the first step is to knock off the water supply and flush it to make sure it doesnt refill.

Then take out the screws keeping it in position and remember there is proably 2 screws in the cistern , if you take off the lid.

You then want to slide the toilet out from the wall a small bit and there should be a silver flexi hose you can discconect with spanners, there may or may not be a valve depending on the installer.

The toilet should come out of the multiwick as you slide it out and that should be that.

Be very careful when putting it back in postion these are a tricky bowl to connect as the flexi is often just long enough to allow you to fit the spanners in and do it.
    Be paranoid about the multiwick its very easy with these to think that you have slid the toliet back into the multiwick correctly when in fact you havent...... double check everything and flush it plenty of times to check for leaks etc.

Also the floor screws are fixed to a bracket drilled screwed to the floor, if your going to remove this in order to tile under the toilet make sure you will need to drill the new tile etc to fix the bracket to the floor, when you remove the bowel you will understand what im talking about, just be sure to get the bracket positions as correct as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Excellent, thanks. I didn't spot any screws in the cistern but then again i didn't remove any of the innards to take a look. Am i right in assuming these things have a wax seal i will also need to replace?

Excellent, thanks. I didn't spot any screws in the cistern but then again i didn't remove any of the innards to take a look. Am i right in assuming these things have a wax seal i will also need to replace?
    A wax seal ? Dont know what your talking about there now. Some plumbers would use a lick of silicon on certain spots but you should not have to ideally.

Thinking about it this bowel might not have any screws in the cistern dont go at any of the innards , they would be right up the top of the cisterns if there was any.

Be aware because there is no screws in the cistern it makes it very important to get the leveling of the tiles behind the toilet and under it spot on, as if the levels are badly off this type of toilet doesnt sit great. I can see from your photo that the ply behind the toilet doesnt look like its vertical. I can spot from the photo an ever increasing gap behind the bowl which would indicate the leveling is off somewhere and as i said with this bowl its immediately obvious due to the gap behind the cistern which occurs.

Some googling led me to believe that there would be a wax gasket i'd have to replace. Thanks for the advice though, its appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Some googling led me to believe that there would be a wax gasket i'd have to replace. Thanks for the advice though, its appreciated.

Wax seals are used in America not in ireland , I would replace the multiwik when refitting the pan

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    Wax seals are used in America not in ireland , I would replace the multiwik when refitting the pan
    Dont think its necessary , that toilet is very very new , id imagine it was just put in postion for people to use temporarily in a new built or renovation.......
    Also these bowels come with their own different multiwick that would be hard to replace like for like , depending on how its piped it keeps the multiwick in postion when pushing the concealed bowel back into it .

Dont think its necessary , that toilet is very very new , id imagine it was just put in postion for people to use temporarily in a new built or renovation.......
    Also these bowels come with their own different multiwick that would be hard to replace like for like , depending on how its piped it keeps the multiwick in postion when pushing the concealed bowel back into it .

Oooops I didn't actually look at the photo :P
    The installation does look very new so probably no need to replace the multi :o
    But I've never seen these pans comin with their own multiwiks , the only ones I've come across with different ones are the wall mounted ones on a frame .

sullzz wrote: »
    Oooops I didn't actually look at the photo :P
    The installation does look very new so probably no need to replace the multi :o
    But I've never seen these pans comin with their own multiwiks , the only ones I've come across with different ones are the wall mounted ones on a frame .
    I actually installed a few of these bowls in the last few years they are getting very popular down in cork for bathroom renovations .

The multiwick that came with it sort of just has a bracket on the back of it so it cant get pushed back as you slide the bowl back...........

They are actually grand in terms of quality, but they do take a little extra time to fit due to everthing being concealed.

I actually installed a few of these bowls in the last few years they are getting very popular down in cork for bathroom renovations .

The multiwick that came with it sort of just has a bracket on the back of it so it cant get pushed back as you slide the bowl back...........

They are actually grand in terms of quality, but they do take a little extra time to fit due to everthing being concealed.

That multiwik sounds like a great idea , I hate fitting them toilets , you never know is the multiwik sealing correctly until you flush it , then it can be a case of taking the toilet in and out half a dozen times

Thanks folks, you are correct in that the toilet was pretty much never used, it was put in place originally as the plumber was on site but now needs to be moved while the tiling gets done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement