Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rough guesstimate costs please

Options
  • 08-01-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a derelict cottage at the moment.

There's plenty of work to be done on it but I wanted to get a couple of ballpark figures before I get stuck in with a potential offer and start dealing with a builder for quotes etc.. essentially I want to get a rough idea of whether or not to just walk away! :)

The cottage is approx 70sqm and has a standard stone construction with a basic A roof on it.

At the moment, I am expecting the following:

New roof (timber and slates - slates are present but most are poor) - Eur8,000
    New windows (Total 4x windows approx 3ftx2ft pref sash) & front door - Eur2,500
    Remove plaster from outside and repoint stone - Eur3,000
    Remove plaster from inside walls and replaster - Eur2,000
    Plumb & wire from scratch - Eur4,000
    Septic tank - Eur1,800

I've made some rough guesses on the work above (and I appreciate that nobody can give a definite answer!), but wanted to get an idea of people's opinions on my costs outline before I speak to a builder.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a derelict cottage at the moment.

There's plenty of work to be done on it but I wanted to get a couple of ballpark figures before I get stuck in with a potential offer and start dealing with a builder for quotes etc.. essentially I want to get a rough idea of whether or not to just walk away! :)

The cottage is approx 70sqm and has a standard stone construction with a basic A roof on it.

At the moment, I am expecting the following:

New roof (timber and slates - slates are present but most are poor) - Eur8,000
    New windows (Total 4x windows approx 3ftx2ft pref sash) & front door - Eur2,500
    Remove plaster from outside and repoint stone - Eur3,000
    Remove plaster from inside walls and replaster - Eur2,000
    Plumb & wire from scratch - Eur4,000
    Septic tank - Eur1,800

I've made some rough guesses on the work above (and I appreciate that nobody can give a definite answer!), but wanted to get an idea of people's opinions on my costs outline before I speak to a builder.

Thanks
    You haven't said what experience you have in construction so ill presume none and that a main contractor will be managing the renovation: so from experience, to do this up to modern standards you won't see any change from 100k, don't forget to allow for professional fees for planning, tender and construction stage design and sign-off. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

BryanF wrote: »
    You haven't said what experience you have in construction so ill presume none and that a main contractor will be managing the renovation: so from experience, to do this up to modern standards you won't see any change from 100k, don't forget to allow for professional fees for planning, tender and construction stage design and sign-off. Best of luck

Hi Bryan,

Are you referring to Eur100k for renovation of the house? I was expecting something around Eur35k to do the house up... I fully appreciate that with older houses there are plenty of unknowns and potential pitfalls, but really wasn't expecting to have such a high figure..

I appreciate that its hard to give advice without seeing the property so I guess I'm best to speak to a builder and get the costs "from the horse's mouth" as it were!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

to be honest you could possibly build a replacement dwelling of the same floor area, to current regulations for less than it would cost to renovate your cottage.

Hi Bryan,

Are you referring to Eur100k for renovation of the house? I was expecting something around Eur35k to do the house up... I fully appreciate that with older houses there are plenty of unknowns and potential pitfalls, but really wasn't expecting to have such a high figure..

I appreciate that its hard to give advice without seeing the property so I guess I'm best to speak to a builder and get the costs "from the horse's mouth" as it were!

Thanks
    Yes but someone looking out for your interests would be better...
    And Yes, It is hard to offer a list of requirements and costs without seeing the shell. Remember builders charge Vat , and for skips, scaffolding, insurance and other preliminarys and those alone on a job your describing could amount to the figure your suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

BryanF wrote: »
    Yes but someone looking out for your interests would be better...
    And Yes, It is hard to offer a list of requirements and costs without seeing the shell. Remember builders charge Vat , and for skips, scaffolding, insurance and other preliminarys and those alone on a job your describing could amount to the figure your suggesting.

Cool - thanks for the help Bryan. A friend of mine is a builder so I'll ask him to have a look over it with me.. I guess its a fool's errand trying to establish likely costs without seeing the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chrislongford

Hi Bryan,
    Bought a 70sq Mtr 2up 2down house there in 2011 for renovation. Did'nt need to go near the exterior so Did'nt require planning permission. Cost us around 20,000 to gut the house and totally renovate it. Granted i did alot of the work myself but the 100g mark are what architects would love you to believe. There are alot of cheaper alternatives to re-plastering etc. Slabbing the walls and skimming them are a cheap and economical alternative. Got the whole house skimmed for 800euro. Slabs were 13 euro each for cosy-board. Bought all cables and fittings myself so only paid electrician labour for a few days work. Same with the plumber, shopped around and made a 400 euro saving on my plumbing fittings also. Dont stay with the one suplier for everything tank cheaper in one place copper in another etc. Dont forget your local small traders picked up some great deals. Check your local planning office, you might'nt require an architect at all. A good draughtsman or engineer might be able to help you for half the price. If you have cash you can save alot of money. And dont let any tradesman that crosses your door think that they're doing you a favour. If your able to do the donkey work yourself you'll save loads. i.e chase the walls, floors etc. Most plant and tools have machines for everything and especially shop around with them. Because they have a fancy forecourt does'nt mean that they're not pure gansters. Hope you enjoy it. its rough but well worth it.

• looking at buying a derelict cottage
    [*]this guy was going to a builder
    • 70sq Mtr 2up 2down house there in 2011 for renovation.
    • Did'nt need to go near the exterior so Did'nt require planning permission. Cost us around 20,000 to gut the house and totally renovate it.
    • Granted i did alot of the work myself

apples and oranges

Advertisement