Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7mb for gaming?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 4:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so im with eircom for years with quite a few hiccups along the way but it doesnt look like ill have much choice of anything else anytime soon.
    I understand i can get up to 7mb broadband here in Monasterevin but a few years back when we got upgraded from 3mb to 7mb latency went skywards and gaming pings too and i had to go back to 3mb.
    Im just wondering if this is still the case?
    Anyone gaming away happily with good pings on eircom 7mb?
    If i was to change to 7mb how long would it take to go back to 3mb if like before i wasnt happy?
    Will i receive any hassle along the way from eircom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Dcully

Would you like to PM me the landline number that your broadband is on? I will look into this and get back to you.

Regards

Al

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

pm sent thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Dcully

PM sent in reply

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok so im with eircom for years with quite a few hiccups along the way but it doesnt look like ill have much choice of anything else anytime soon.
    I understand i can get up to 7mb broadband here in Monasterevin but a few years back when we got upgraded from 3mb to 7mb latency went skywards and gaming pings too and i had to go back to 3mb.
    Im just wondering if this is still the case?
    Anyone gaming away happily with good pings on eircom 7mb?
    If i was to change to 7mb how long would it take to go back to 3mb if like before i wasnt happy?
    Will i receive any hassle along the way from eircom?

I've a 7 meg package and my ping is fairly consistent usually somewhere between 39 and 43. If your just playing public games (7mb) is fine, but for private games with friends, that speed is crap. I play with friends from the UK on live and i lag terribly.

I had a problem last year (summer time) it started at 7 and got better at 11.

I think the problem was Eircom had too many customers pinging to the same exchange and, their broadband equipment, had issues with handling the inbound traffic. I think they upgraded something, because i haven't had that problem since then!

Eircom broadband isn't a bad service its always up and running for me, but my issue with Eircom is their speeds ( way too low) and pricing ( honestly like ). Its the only decent service people can avail of in most rural areas, so i guess they knew it was going to be easy to rip off people and not anything be done about it.

Advertisement