Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Sensor

Options
  • 08-01-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have an old phonewatch alarm, no longer monitered. The controller is a Simon not sure of lettering. My problem is with a vibration window sensor that is missing a spring and alarms at the slightest touch. I could take it out of the loop but would prefer to keep it active.

My question is where would one start looking for a similar sensor or even the correct spring.

Have tried other springs but can't find anything suitable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Can you post a picture of the sensor . What does the panel say when you press status .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

no bother posting picture. problem with sensor is that it alarms with very little vibration on the window.

The spring is the tamper switch . The white box is the sensor on the left in the photo .unscrew the two wires going into it and take it with you to a wholesalers . A new one costs €7 - €10
    Check the supply sticky to find your nearest one

Do you think I will have to change the whole sensor and itt was installed in 2003 so would it be like for like. I'm in Cork any idea who would supply them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Do you think I will have to change the whole sensor and itt was installed in 2003 so would it be like for like. I'm in Cork any idea who would supply them here.

More than likely an issue with the head. If you disconnect the sensor head and join the cable together and leave it for a few day to see it will rule out the head or the sensor being the problem.

RWL Should be able to supply the sensor head or the whole unit if needed.
    Here are there details:

Cork Office
    Unit 17,
    South Link Business Park,
    Ballycurreen,
    Cork.

P. +353 (0)21-4316744

• Advertisement

Thanks Thunderbird and Altor. @ Altor I'm fairly sure its just the spring thats missing is causing it to alarm. i looked at the others and they have the spring whilst this doesn't. The kids knocked the cover off a while back and when put back together the spring wasn't included. Would be great to get the spring as I will have to reprogramme the sensor if I replace it. I will give RWL a buzz anyway thanks.

What is the panel saying about that sensor ?

Thanks Thunderbird and Altor. @ Altor I'm fairly sure its just the spring thats missing is causing it to alarm. i looked at the others and they have the spring whilst this doesn't. The kids knocked the cover off a while back and when put back together the spring wasn't included. Would be great to get the spring as I will have to reprogramme the sensor if I replace it. I will give RWL a buzz anyway thanks.

Strange one that as the spring is needed to close the tamper but hitting or tapping the sensor is causing an alarm. Is the system showing a tamper condition for this zone?

I was thinking that when the system is armed that when the sensor transmits every 15 mins is transmitting the tamper aswell

I was thinking that when the system is armed that when the sensor transmits every 15 mins is transmitting the tamper aswell

It should show the tamper condition till it is fixed.
    E.G. status light on at control panel and indicated zone 3 kitchen window tampered when the status button is pressed.
    It wont clear till this condition is fixed.

• Advertisement

the status lamp is lit on the panel and when i press it it tells me that there is a tamper alarm.

the status lamp is lit on the panel and when i press it it tells me that there is a tamper alarm.

Yes that would be the spring either missing or not sitting correctly against the lid of the sensor. In your case the spring missing.

Thanks Altor, I understand the significance of the missing spring now. Probably going to be difficult to find the correct spring for that sensor.

Thanks Altor, I understand the significance of the missing spring now. Probably going to be difficult to find the correct spring for that sensor.

You should take one out of another sensor to get the correct size if you have anything lying around with a spring. Other than that you may have to buy the whole unit. If it comes to that but a contact and use the spring off that ;)

Thanks guys for your help;). I transferred a spring from a child-free!!!! room to the playroom to stop the intermitten alarming. I will find a spring somewhere to suit the missing one and make it fit.

Thanks guys for your help;). I transferred a spring from a child-free!!!! room to the playroom to stop the intermitten alarming. I will find a spring somewhere to suit the missing one and make it fit.

Have seen many a different type spring do the job. It will save you also having to buy the whole unit just for the spring.

Any other problems, let us know.

Advertisement