Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs nose hot, does it mean anything?

• 08-01-2013 5:32pm

hey, just wondering is it true that if your dogs nose is hot they have a temperature?
    he is lying in his basket since his walk and doesnt seem himself, he is slow the last couple of days when walking also, which is not normal at all.
    he is usually a mad springer full of energy.

his nose is hot, is that true or an old wives tale i heard sometime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

bubblypop wrote: »
    On its own ,with no other symptoms, no it's not true. Dogs noses change from wet and cold, to hot and dry all the time depending on the environment.

BUT, a hot nose, combined with other symptoms like the lethargy and "off form" you mentioned in your dog, could indicate something is up. Your best bet is to get him to a vet if he deteriorates further or doesn't improve within 24hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's an old wives tale. But if he is acting out of sorts, or not eating or has dodgy poops or anything it's best to take a trip to the vets with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

bubblypop wrote: »
    hey, just wondering is it true that if your dogs nose is hot they have a temperature?
    he is lying in his basket since his walk and doesnt seem himself, he is slow the last couple of days when walking also, which is not normal at all.
    he is usually a mad springer full of energy.

A young springer spaniel should be bouncing around, with tail wagging ferociously. Get the vet to give him a check over, it's probably nothing much at all, but better err on the side of caution.

Advertisement