Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM eats card [Can I claim replacement fee back?]

Options
  • 08-01-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

At lunch today I went to an Ulster Bank ATM in Dublin. I put my card in, put my PIN in and opted to take out €20. Everything seemed to be fine but when it got to the screen that says please take your card, we are counting your cash the machine kept beeping and beeping.

My card never reappeared and the ATM then restarted. I had to call my bank (Bank of Ireland) to cancel the card and order a new one. They are going to charge me €8 for the trouble. Now €8 is not going to bankrupt me but I'm still a bit frustrated that I have to shell out that money over something that clearly wasn't my fault.

Is there anyway I can ensure that Ulster Bank refund me this amount? I know it is minimal but after recent dealings with them I wouldn't satisfy them to leave me €8 out of pocket over an error on their machines.

Incidentally, it was a stand-alone ATM so I didn't have the option of going into the branch and demanding my card back.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sounds like there was a hardware fault on the ATM while processing your transaction.
    Your card is still in the ATM.

If it is an ATM at a branch, they should be able to retrieve the card for you.

If it is in a shop, you may have to talk to the store manager to retrieve the card.

Ulster Bank will have a log on the ATM to show there was a fault, so you can ask them to check that and use that as your ammo to get them to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally they won't return cards, however, even at branch ATM's. Moot point anyway as the OP has cancelled theirs and it was an off-site ATM.

ATM's swallow cards, it's an unfortunate fact of life. You're best bet is to try ask Bank of Ireland to waive the fee as a goodwill gesture as it wasn't your fault (and after all, you could also follow a line of reasoning it's not UB's fault that BOI charge so much for this). You could try writing to UB, asking them to investigate and then present that to BOI, but realistically I can't see UB giving you €8, and you have to ask yourself is the time and effort worth €8 to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

You are not being strong enough with BOI. I have had a faulty ATM reboot and keep my card. A strongly worded fax to my BOI branch that night and a few days later I had a replacement card couriered to my work, all free of charge.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement