Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a strange one - Menubar anomaly

Options
  • 08-01-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Using the forum default skin

Basically, the menubar which should be static, isn't static... when the page is scrolled, it also moves (off the screen).

The "problem" is happening on a new Macbook Pro Retina 13" running OSX 10.8.1, in Safari and Chrome, both up to date.

Thankfully I'm able to test this side-by-side on multiple machines at once. It's not happening on my Win7 PC (Chrome or Firefox) or my older 13" Macbook running OSX 10.6.8 (Chrome/Firefox/Safari).

It's also not an issue with add-ons or extensions. Chrome is cloud synced across all devices, so same extensions are on each. And safari has no add ons installed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

How wide is the browser window? For me (Chrome Win7), the menu bar stays at the top of the screen if the window is roughly 950 pixels or less - but follows the vertical scrolling when wider than this.

That you've bolded retina makes me think this isn't the issue, but just in case..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TPD wrote: »
    How wide is the browser window? For me (Chrome Win7), the menu bar stays at the top of the screen if the window is roughly 950 pixels or less - but follows the vertical scrolling when wider than this.

That you've bolded retina makes me think this isn't the issue, but just in case..

I always have browsers maximized. On the older macbook, screen resolution is 1280x800. On the PC it's 1980x1080, and on the MBP Retina it's 2560x1600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Do you mean that your sticky header is no longer sticky? Can you grab some screenshots of the issue please? Have you tried logging in and out?

Thanks

Danny

Do you mean that your sticky header is no longer sticky? Can you grab some screenshots of the issue please? Have you tried logging in and out?

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny,

Here's the screenshots. Sorry for not embedding but they're 2560x1600 :)

http://omg.wthax.org/Screen_Shot_2013_01_08_at_182918.png

http://omg.wthax.org/Screen_Shot_2013_01_08_at_182926.png

As you can see, these were taken while not logged in (nor had I ever previously logged in with Safari on the MBP). The same happens while logged in on Chrome. And I've just tried logging in and out, makes no difference.

Thanks for that, it's a sticky header problem.

Since it is device specific and I don't have a retina display MBP 13" let's suspect is that your device is being detected as a touch device and the header is being forced to unstick (because the sticky header doesn't play well with touch devices).

Please excuse the crude method, but can you visit this page and tell me if an alert box comes up with true or false. I'd be expecting false for non-touch devices. If no alert box shows up then my coding skills have failed me and I'm going home ;)

Danny

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, it's a sticky header problem.

Since it is device specific and I don't have a retina display MBP 13" let's suspect is that your device is being detected as a touch device and the header is being forced to unstick (because the sticky header doesn't play well with touch devices).

Please excuse the crude method, but can you visit this page and tell me if an alert box comes up with true or false. I'd be expecting false for non-touch devices. If no alert box shows up then my coding skills have failed me and I'm going home ;)

Danny

Sorry to throw a spanner into the works, but it's showing up false - which means its being recognized as a non-touch device.

http://omg.wthax.org/Screen_Shot_2013_01_08_at_190525.png

On the bright side, just to verify your code isn't the problem, I checked on my iPhone - gave a true. So there's no need to run home and cry just yet :D

http://omg.wthax.org/photo_19.png

It was a shot in the dark all right. I'm going to check my own MBP 13" with 1.8.1 when I head home in a few. Failing that I'm gonna try get my hands on a retina display and see if I can track down the bug

Thanks

Danny

It was a shot in the dark all right. I'm going to check my own MBP 13" with 1.8.1 when I head home in a few. Failing that I'm gonna try get my hands on a retina display and see if I can track down the bug

Thanks

Danny

No problem Danny.

If you can't get your hands on a retina MBP, or think of anything in the mean time - feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to test things for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement