Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Wongs in Ranelagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I'm living in the area and it is still looking very bad with the roof still engulfed in flames and the Guards having had to block Sandford Road off. Considerable amount of Fire Brigade Units have been fighting the fire for almost an hour but it still hasn't stopped and actually seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Traffic must be terrible on all surrounding routes. Hopefully no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sad, go there a lot with family, nice people in that place, hopefully can get back in business at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Fire still going on....still scratching my head as to how I didn't even notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hope no one was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Was still on fire at the back when I was walking by at 6.30 - crazy how long a fire can continue so long even with that amount of fire trucks. Also weird having Ranelagh that empty of traffic at the time of day, with all the roads shut off - had to discover new parts of the area on my journey home! Did it spread to the side buildings does anyone know?

With my chats to people on the road looking for a detour home, didn't seem like anyone was injured which is good news at least. Feel terrible for the owners though, was a great restaurant and hopefully they can re-build.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Feel terrible for the owners though, was a great restaurant and hopefully they can re-build.

Saw the owner interviewed about opening a second place, but after this terrible fire two Wong's won't make it right. :pac:

...I'll get me coat...

More seriously, hope no-one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Solicitors office above restaurant also affected. Glad no one was hurt but I hope they can salvage their files, that loss would be a nightmare. Fire looks pretty bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Was that Durkan Builders office at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Damn, I've a horrible feeling that Wong's is a protected structure. If it is not, most of Sandford Rd is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

any word on this this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Is the pub next door affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Don't think Wong's is a protected structure! Durkans are/were still based upstairs along with a few other businesses. From what I've heard they managed to stop the blaze spreading to McSorley's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I love Wongs :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

only ever went there once, was not impressed with the food.. Place looks (looked I guess) amazing but didn't tickle my taste buds. terrible news though.

Anyone know if McSorelys is damaged? Great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He was at the scene to survey the damage and explained that staff were preparing for 6pm opening when the fire broke out.

Mr Mann said an accountancy company and a solicitors firm were located where the fire broke out.

One restaurant employee, who did not want to be named, told how the building was engulfed in smoke within minutes.

"We were vacuuming and preparing to open when there was a huge amount of smoke that came in, we all just ran out," he said.

There were no customers in the restaurant and there were no reported casualties. Traffic in Ranelagh came to a standstill as fire-fighters battled to bring the blaze under control.
    we all just ran out
    I understand running out initially, to survey where the fire was, but if the smoke filled the ground floor in minutes, by the time the emergency services got there, the building would be gone. I dont understand why they didnt go up and see how bad it was, if it was beyond control get out of there, if not why the hell wouldnt you try to bring it under control IF you had the equipment to do it and werent putting yourself at risk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I understand running out initially, to survey where the fire was, but if the smoke filled the ground floor in minutes, by the time the emergency services got there, the building would be gone. I dont understand why they didnt go up and see how bad it was, if it was beyond control get out of there, if not why the hell wouldnt you try to bring it under control IF you had the equipment to do it and werent putting yourself at risk!!!

Are you kidding?

"when there was a huge amount of smoke that came in"

Smoke would kill you before you even found the blaze. Why risk it? Wise move to get out ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Eh, are you for real?

"the building was engulfed in smoke in minutes"

Until humans somehow through evolution gain the ability to survive whilst inhaling noxious gases it's sort of wise to get the hell out. We'll probably gain this ability right about the time we gain amphibian breathing skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Em, if theres a fire, ALWAYS leave the building immediately. A building is replaceable, people are not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Fire started in the kitchen area and spread through a ventlation to the roof. Must have been a nasty shock to people who were there. hopefully they will rebuild!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I see the building is now for sale.

Pity, I liked Wongs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I see the building is now for sale.

Pity, I liked Wongs

Wonder who'll move in.
    another restaurant?

Wongs is still up in Clontarf is you miss it.
    Kites in Ballsbridge is probably closest thing similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought I heard the Clontarf one had closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

spurious wrote: »

Never knew that!
    Checked website, and it's now showing 'Wongs of Castleknock'!
    I've past by the clontarf branch a good few times recently, but never noticed it closed... haven't been in for over a year myself though.
    Facebook not updated in a year.
    Seems you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Never knew that!
    Checked website, and it's now showing 'Wongs of Castleknock'!
    I've past by the clontarf branch a good few times recently, but never noticed it closed... haven't been in for over a year myself though.
    Facebook not updated in a year.
    Seems you're right.

They have been there 15 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

spurious wrote: »

Well two Wongs don't make a right.
    I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Well two Wongs don't make a right.

thats wong on so many levels......

Advertisement