Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow laptop

Options
  • 08-01-2013 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but maybe someone on here can help.

My laptop is after getting very slow. It's about a year old, and I get a message from Norton telling me about High CPU usage.

Any ideas on how I can quicken it up ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

liammur wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but maybe someone on here can help.

My laptop is after getting very slow. It's about a year old, and I get a message from Norton telling me about High CPU usage.

Any ideas on how I can quicken it up ?

Thanks

Maybe a defrag, or clearing unused, old, or temp files. Might be found in the disk clear up, or administratar settings, or control panel depending on your operating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Get rid of norton for a start.;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you open the Windows Task Manager, what is using the most CPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

irish-stew wrote: »
    Maybe a defrag, or clearing unused, old, or temp files. Might be found in the disk clear up, or administratar settings, or control panel depending on your operating system.

Thanks, I did that already. Didn't do an awful for it, do laptops slow down if they are left on for a continuous amount of hours say like 10 hours?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If you open the Windows Task Manager, what is using the most CPU?

I've 2 explorers open

1 is using 896,234K and the other is using 233,456K. All the others are small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

896,234K is quite a large amount of memory for explorer to be using. I assume Windows Explorer? If so, how many tabs do you have open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2 explorers sounds odd.

I suggest downloading and running malwarebytes incase you have spyware.

896,234K is quite a large amount of memory for explorer to be using. I assume Windows Explorer? If so, how many tabs do you have open?

Ya windows, and just the 1 tab - in fact this site here. The other explorer is faster right now. what could be causing that/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ya windows, and just the 1 tab - in fact this site here. The other explorer is faster right now. what could be causing that/

Do you have loads of toolbars and extra search windows in the browser.
    It could be a number of different things, could be a flash plugin crashing repeatedly or something like that.

To be honest, the first thing I would do is stop using Internet Explorer and start using something like Chrome which uses far less memory.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I've 2 explorers open

1 is using 896,234K and the other is using 233,456K. All the others are small.

explorer.exe is using 896,234K? That can't be right. It should be a fraction of that. Or do you mean internet explorer? Still insanely high though.

Have you done a full virus/spyware scan recently? That ginormous explorer process could be something else masquerading as a legitimate program (highly unlikely, but possible).

Normally I'd be reluctant to recommend tune up programs, as the free versions primary function is as an advertisement for the full program, but Glary Utilities is fairly unintrusive and has a good level of functionality.

Then will I close the internet down, it's faster for a while, and gets slower again after a while. Maybe bring it in somewhere ?

Seriously un-install Norton. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

What have you go to lose. Whats the rush to go into a shop?

BostonB wrote: »
    Seriously un-install Norton. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

What have you go to lose. Whats the rush to go into a shop?

No, it's not Norton, I thought I had a virus so I bought Norton to see could it get anything, but it didn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Get rid of Norton and run a Malwarebytes scan. You can use a free antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast to replace it. Two explorer.exe processes does sound suspicious

Nick

Which version of Window, is it 7?

If so, in the Task Manager, click on the Performance Tab, then open the Resource Monitor.
    Hit the CPU tab and sort by CPU, which tops the list?

You're saying the problem was there before Norton.

Still the general rule applies. I would un-install all non essential software. Especially Toolbars in Browser things like that.

TBH you could create a live bootable Linux DVD disk (doesn't install to HD) boot off that and see if its still low. If it is, then its the hardware. If its not then its the software you have installed. Note the Live DVD will be slow to boot, but after that it should be fine.

yoyo wrote: »
    Get rid of Norton and run a Malwarebytes scan. You can use a free antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast to replace it. Two explorer.exe processes does sound suspicious

Nick

This is what is says:

explorer: 32,308

iexplorer: 369,280
    iexplorer: 302,409
    iexplorer: 28,907

I have 2 internet sessions open.

I don't know what else it could be as they are the biggest users

• Advertisement

what are the pc specs

click start then right click on computer and select properties to find this

BostonB wrote: »
    You're saying the problem was there before Norton.

Still the general rule applies. I would un-install all non essential software. Especially Toolbars in Browser things like that.

TBH you could create a live bootable Linux DVD disk (doesn't install to HD) boot off that and see if its still low. If it is, then its the hardware. If its not then its the software you have installed. Note the Live DVD will be slow to boot, but after that it should be fine.

To be honest with I'm not much good with computers, I wouldn't be able to do half that stuff.

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    what are the pc specs

click start then right click on computer and select properties to find this

It's a 4GB, Intel 2.00GHz, Windows Vista Home premium,

This is what is says:

explorer: 32,308

iexplorer: 369,280
    iexplorer: 302,409
    iexplorer: 28,907

I have 2 internet sessions open.

I don't know what else it could be as they are the biggest users

Thats normal, sorry I read it as multiple explorer.exe processes! Uninstall Norton and see if things improve would be my advice.

Nick

Thats normal, sorry I read it as multiple explorer.exe processes! Uninstall Norton and see if things improve would be my advice.

Nick

Ok, thanks guys. It's people like yourselves that makes boards a great website.

It's a 4GB, Intel 2.00GHz, Windows Vista Home premium,

4GB ram is great

A 2 Ghz processer (probably dual core) is not great but good enough for most things, definitely enough for browsing unless you are trying to watch 1080p video online.

Vista is crap xp or seven are far better

My suggestion is that you get a copy of windows vista and reinstall it as you have the product key on the laptop this would be free and would return the laptop to the condition you purchased it as.

NOTE-you should back up your files but windows automatically does that so dont worry
    You will need to reinstall your programs that did not come with the pc though and if you use itunes this would delete all music on your ipod the next time you connect it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scarab47

Get rid of norton avg free should be all you need. And vista too if you can get your hands on windows 7 you will notice a huge improvement.

To be honest with I'm not much good with computers, I wouldn't be able to do half that stuff.

Its really not hard. It just sounds hard. Its the techno babble.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Nick

over 300k for a browser running one tab (boards.ie)......that is quite high.

Before doing any extreme un-installs, try another browser. It might be a short term solution.

• Advertisement

over 300k for a browser running one tab (boards.ie)......that is quite high.

Before doing any extreme un-installs, try another browser. It might be a short term solution.

Sorry :o . Meant that having multiple iexplore.exe processes is normal, not multiple explorer.exe ones

Nick

Advertisement