Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightning cables

• 08-01-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Anyone picked up a 3rd party cable yet?

Was looking at this one on ebay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Awesome thanks. Picked up 5 of them!

Dx take a while to deliver though dont they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Got one on DX for €4 and waiting on another. Work perfect with my phone and iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I wouldn't go mad buying cheap Lightning Cables.

Apple have a habbit of making unofficial accessories obsolete during a software update wherever possible.

Apple have a habbit of making unofficial accessories obsolete during a software update wherever possible.

Really? Any link to support that?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Really? Any link to support that?

No link, just personal experience (although im sure you can find some with google)

I had a bunch of the previous iPod/iPhone cables and an unofficial mains charger
    that stopped working after iOS 5. Just got a 'This accessory is not supported'
    message on screen and that was it, they never worked again.

And Apple are being Very strict with allowing 3rd parties develop the lightning
    cable so id imagine they will have some mechanism for deactivating unofficial
    ones, especially with stories like this one emerging already.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/04/more-counterfeit-apple-products-seized-this-time-635000-worth-of-fake-lightning-cables-in-alaska/

I bought one for work, and the GF wants one for her desk too as back up.

I've been buying spurious chargers from DX for years now, and every one of them worked in my previous 4 and also my back up phone (3GS on 6.0.1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kceire wrote: »

I've been buying spurious chargers from DX for years now, and every one of them worked in my previous 4 and also my back up phone (3GS on 6.0.1).

What the delivery time from DX usually work out at kceire?

Me too.

I've never had a problem with a cable suddenly stop working and I'm on IOS6 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

naasrd wrote: »

Only probs I had with dx were with solar chargers, but they didn't specify they were designed for iPhone so it's just luck (and read the reviews of other buyers) Once received a broken charge cable which was promptly replaced by dx no questions asked.
    I know the video out cables have a chip and won't work unless recognised by the device (don't think there is even a video out on the lighting cable) but never had a problem with 3rd charge/sync cables.
    Have received over 10 orders of dx and usually around 3 weeks. Can be anything between 2 and 5 weeks though (last 2 orders for cables and iPad case were here in 2 weeks).

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »

For me, i always have it within 4 weeks of the order date. Mostly in 3 weeks though depending if there is a bank holiday in that time.
    flyguy wrote: »
    Once received a broken charge cable which was promptly replaced by dx no questions asked.

Same here, i got a cable from them for my 4 and it didnt work, i took a screen shot of the not charging display and emailed them, and i had a new one sent straight out with no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

with my iphone 4 i bought tonnes of charger cables and they all worked. some were a little more fragile than others but technically there was no problem.

i had a couple of AV cables that stopped working due to Apples video-out blocking.

with the iphone 5 i ordered a cable from dx when they were first released and it never worked (it was only €1.90) so i've waited for one with reviews this time. (i've ordered 3: car, office, home)

delivery normally around 4-5 weeks in my experience.

@kceire - interesting i might take a photo of my non-working iphone 5 cable and see if they'll send replacement (i just thought the cable design was dud) thanks for info

Apple's cables are usually a rip off so buying a few of these cheap will do no
    harm but i'm just warning against buying in bulk in the off chance that something happens again.

If Apple continue to see a trend of hundreds of thousand's of fake cables
    knocking about, they will do something, believe me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I ordered 4 lightning cables on Dec 17th. Not arrived yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hi All,
    Just wondering if these cables are still working for you guys? I bought one a month ago (from a different place) that worked for about 3 weeks and then stopped. There was no software update at the time either. I'm a bit reluctant to buy another until I'm sure they seem to work reliably. I'm also looking for a black lighting cable as I can't even get a genuine Apple cable in black

Cheers,

DC

A timely update. I bought 4-5 off ebay. They all worked, for a while... Then each one started to break at the connector and become intermittent in powering the iphone, it would stop charging if I moved the cable in a certain way. So I think the wiring/solder in them is poor. Beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

quarryman wrote: »
    A timely update. I bought 4-5 off ebay. They all worked, for a while... Then each one started to break at the connector and become intermittent in powering the iphone, it would stop charging if I moved the cable in a certain way. So I think the wiring/solder in them is poor. Beware!

Sounds like what could have happened to mine too. I've also read stories of 'authentication chips' in the lightning cables which can potentially render the cable useless when software updates are applied. Shame.

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bought 3 lightning cables from dx and so far one has stopped working altogether and another pulled apart as I was taking it out of the phone. Another one I bought on adverts worked for a few hours and then stopped

dcGT wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if these cables are still working for you guys? I bought one a month ago (from a different place) that worked for about 3 weeks and then stopped. There was no software update at the time either. I'm a bit reluctant to buy another until I'm sure they seem to work reliably. I'm also looking for a black lighting cable as I can't even get a genuine Apple cable in black

Cheers,

DC

I got a 3m black lightning cable on dx.com, using it about 3 months and still ok.
    http://dx.com/p/lightning-8-pin-male-to-usb-2-0-male-data-sync-charging-cable-for-iphone-5-black-300cm-188194
    True that the non apple cables wear a bit quicker than a genuine one, but I can go through a few fake ones for the price apple charges for 1 genuine one (and they generally don't last me longer than a year either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Bought one cable on DX.com & touch wood no problems with it. I leave it in work & use it every 2nd day.

Absolutely no problems with my 4 dx ones. 1 of them is in my manbag and sees a lot of action on the road and no probs. I'll try and find the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Have a look at Adverts.ie, there's a lot of good prices for these cables and they are usually delivered within the week,if not the next day. The best price I came across was €5 inc.postage. Pretty good IMO. The sellers also seem to understand the buyer a lot better than the Chinese websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Following recommendations in this thread, I ordered 5 x lightning cables from DX.com and received them around the start of April. I was getting some message about unsuitability and a warning triangle, but they seemed to charge the iphone 5 / ipad mini for a while. But soon each one gave up. The plastic over the connection between lightning / cable pulled away with ease. All five are useless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

That's odd. Did you e-mail DX and see about replacements? I've two since January and both are still working fine. Luck of the draw I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Same here, have been hit and miss with DX cables. Some stopped working after few weeks. Two I have are still going strong after a few months.

The Micro USB to Lightning adapters are muck. Break after 3/4 uses.

Exact same here. I ordered cheap cables off ebay and they have all died, about 5 in total.

At this stage it would have been cheaper for me to get one original Apple cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

2 original apple lightning cables. Both don't move from their sockets and have been used carefully and not mistreated. Both fraying with the wire exposed inside.Very disappointing given they're only 8 months old and are so expensive

• Advertisement

Not saying non-Apple cables are great, but like I said before, for the price of one genuine one you can buy a good few others (like dx). I am very careful with the cables and even a genuine one won't last over 12 months. The ones I got from dx don't fray like the apple ones but 1 wrong pull/tug and they're gone, really need to hold the connector and not the cable whilst unplugging. Still for me the non-apple seem better value...

Advertisement