Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! My USB just got corrupt again!

Options
  • 08-01-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

I am panicking here to the thoughts that my new USB just corrupted all my collage work! Only bought the stupid thing before the christmas as the same thing happened to my old USB. I am afraid to do anything with it as with the old USB I ran a chkdsk and it wiped everything lucky that time I had a backup foolishly now I don't! :mad: It can be hit and miss with it either the computer will read it when you plug it in or wont, it a 8GB USB but the files are reading at whopping 285GB?! Funny thing same thing happened to a lad in the collage before christmas :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

stevek93 wrote: »
    I am panicking here to the thoughts that my new USB just corrupted all my collage work! Only bought the stupid thing before the christmas as the same thing happened to my old USB. I am afraid to do anything with it as with the old USB I ran a chkdsk and it wiped everything lucky that time I had a backup foolishly now I don't! :mad: It can be hit and miss with it either the computer will read it when you plug it in or wont, it a 8GB USB but the files are reading at whopping 285GB?! Funny thing same thing happened to a lad in the collage before christmas :confused:

Do you "Safely Eject" the USB key before unplugging it? If you don't that is likely what causes the corruption. You can try a combination of TestDisk and PhotoREC to see if you can recover the files off it.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thanks for the reply, got it sorted plugged it into the USB 3 port ran check disk from my computer and copied everything over to the local drive. Few files were still corrupt after the recovery thank god they weren't important. Yes I eject every time I unplug it would it because it formatted as FAT32?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont store anything of any value on flash memory.

www.dropbox.com goddamnit.

ED E wrote: »
    Dont store anything of any value on flash memory.

www.dropbox.com goddamnit.

Yeh your right going to stick with them plugged it back in and now saying its unknown device oh the joys of flash memory I take it hard drives won't be dying any time soon. Should I format it to NTFS and backup at the end of the day I still need it as I just alot of portable apps throughout the day maybe that's breaking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

yoyo wrote: »
    Do you "Safely Eject" the USB key before unplugging it? If you don't that is likely what causes the corruption. You can try a combination of TestDisk and PhotoREC to see if you can recover the files off it.

Nick

I use a USB quite a bit in college and I never safely remove it. I've had the same USB key for about 7 years now, and I've never had a problem. I do wait till the light indicating activity has stopped flickering before yanking it out, but I think the requirement to "safely remove" is totally overstated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

I use a USB quite a bit in college and I never safely remove it. I've had the same USB key for about 7 years now, and I've never had a problem. I do wait till the light indicating activity has stopped flickering before yanking it out, but I think the requirement to "safely remove" is totally overstated.

Kevin, even though it may not be showing activity, threads in the OS can have handles open to files. If ythis is the case and you eject it safely, the operating system will notify the threads and close the handles ( or terminate them if there is no response). By just pulling it out, you risk corruption on either the files or worse.

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

There's a setting in Windows to 'optimise drives for quick removal', google will tell you more...

Wouldn't recommend not using safe remove but it seems anything new now has seemed to break very easily, I have a 6 year old external HDD like a brick now but is still going strong appose to my dead hard drive I bought last year and my 20MB flash drive still going strong after 10 years. As for the hard drive not to sure it either works or doesn't have to keep unplugging and replugging it back in currently copying over files see what happens when it finishes might pick up a external HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

Same happened to me once, I lost all my work from first year! As the guys mentioned above, always safely remove. I don't bother using usb sticks anymore, Google Drive is the best option by far!

I use to use dropbox but Google Drive offers the same plus so much more. Highly recommend you start using it. If you use your own laptop then you can download google drive. It'll create a folder for you and this automatically syncs when you're connected to the internet. So if you work from that folder then your work is constantly being backed up as you make changes

darren2368 wrote: »
    Same happened to me once, I lost all my work from first year! As the guys mentioned above, always safely remove. I don't bother using usb sticks anymore, Google Drive is the best option by far!

I use to use dropbox but Google Drive offers the same plus so much more. Highly recommend you start using it. If you use your own laptop then you can download google drive. It'll create a folder for you and this automatically syncs when you're connected to the internet. So if you work from that folder then your work is constantly being backed up as you make changes

Just thinking the chromebooks would be nice for the likes of that thin light and ultra portable.

• Advertisement

If your thinking of getting a new laptop I'd recommend getting it off these: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

I'm getting one from there. They're really good price wise, could save up to 100 or more on certain laptops.
    Just don't pay through Paypal!

darren2368 wrote: »
    If your thinking of getting a new laptop I'd recommend getting it off these: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

I'm getting one from there. They're really good price wise, could save up to 100 or more on certain laptops.
    Just don't pay through Paypal!

Why no paypal?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Why no paypal?

I payed for the laptop Sunday night and saveonlaptops.co.uk refunded me Monday morning because my shipping address is unconfirmed on Paypal.
    But apparently Irish customers can't actually confirm the address on Paypal (Only in the US or something like that). I think the only way Irish people can confirm it is if they have a credit card.

Otherwise you can still pay by debit card or a credit card.

But to go back to the refunding. I haven't actually received my money back yet! Major pain in the ass. Have to wait 3-5 before it's back in my bank account.

Everything should be smooth sailing if you pay one of the other ways. If you look up reviews on the website they seem really good!

Advertisement