Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT after time off road

• 08-01-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm potentially looking at getting a car which has been off the road since July 2012 and this is the date the NCT expired.

Am I right in thinking that if it passes now, that the NCT will only be valid until July 2013?

If the car remains off road until July 2013 and the test is taken - what happens then?

Sorry for the silly questions - new to the country. Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hi there,

I'm potentially looking at getting a car which has been off the road since July 2012 and this is the date the NCT expired.

Am I right in thinking that if it passes now, that the NCT will only be valid until July 2013?

If the car remains off road until July 2013 and the test is taken - what happens then?

Sorry for the silly questions - new to the country. Thanks in advance.

Actually, the NCT is only valid until the anniversary date of first registration. It doesn't matter when the car went off the road. So if it was first registered in March 2002, you'd only get an NCT cert until March 2013.

edit: as the old NCT expired in july, then the above is correct - you'd only get a cert til July 2013.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Correct.
    You can do the test up to 3 months early, so if you do it after April 2013 then you'll get a cert until July 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

It's a 1998 awec :)

So going by the example I've given, if I bought it and NCT'd it tomorrow, it would be valid until July and then assuming I retest it and it passes - every July as such.

BUT if I tested it after July 2012 - it would be valid until July 2014 as it would then be the next anniversary?

Also, is there a waiting list for an NCT?

Sorry for the daft questions, I've been on the NCT website and something so specific falls outside the FAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's a 1998 awec :)

So going by the example I've given, if I bought it and NCT'd it tomorrow, it would be valid until July and then assuming I retest it and it passes - every July as such.

BUT if I tested it after July 2012 - it would be valid until July 2014 as it would then be the next anniversary?

Also, is there a waiting list for an NCT?

Sorry for the daft questions, I've been on the NCT website and something so specific falls outside the FAQ.

No. After its 10th birthday it is due for testing every year, but you can test 3 months early to give you 15 months on the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The OP has already said (second line, first post) his NCT expired in July, so it makes sense that the car was reg'd in July 98.

OP, if you book the NCT now and it passes, you will only get NCT to July. However, the NCTS cannot issue a cert valid for less than 90 days, So for example, if it passed the test in May this year, you get the cert til July 2014.

Keep in mind that driving without a valid NCT cert is an offense. If it passes next week, it'll likely pass in a couple of months time too.

Thanks Goz that's exactly what I was after :)

Thanks to everyone else for your contributions too :)

As I mentioned, I am thinking of potentially buying this car, and have not inspected it at this stage. Just wanted to know where I stood.

Also I wouldn't dream of driving it without an NCT - I'm reasonable with a spanner so unless it has any major structural, engine or transmission issues, I don't mind having it off the road for a few weeks.

Thanks,

Yep, thanks - would probably do so. I've got a copy of the NCT manual so would probably go over the car using that, then stick in in for a test and hope that the emissions etc are ok. Thanks for your help awec :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement