Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada, Some Advice Please

Options
  • 08-01-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking at moving to canada with my boyfriend this year. I'm 27 and he's 32. I work in the public sector as a clerical officer (typing, filing, data entry etc) I've no qualifications but 8 years experience. My boyfriend is a plasterer again with no qualifications but 10years experience. I'm in the process of applying for a 3, 4 or 5 year career break. We are going to apply for the IEC visas. So here come the questions...

1) Are we employable to work in similar fields to what we do now in canada? We have no qualifications but plenty experience.

2) Is there a way to extend our stay after the 2 year IEC visas as we would like to stay 3-5 years?

3) We are looking at Calgary or Edmonton in Alberta as there seems to be a lot of work in these areas and wages seem good. Would anyone recommend looking at another area?

4) How long did it take in the past for all the IEC visas to go after the applications came out? I'm just curious because we sent my boyfriends passport off for renewal today and can't apply until it comes back. Im aware the 2013 applications aren't out yet, but say they came out tomorrow for example, would the places fill up quickly?

And finally?
    5) We are together for 4 years and living together for 3 years so I guess we're common law husband and wife in Canadian terms. Do we apply as a couple of as individuals?

I've been doing a lot of research on line which is getting confusing at this stage so it would be great to hear from people with experience of this visa or from people who like me, are awaiting this years applications

Thanks for reading, any help will be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Lima Golf wrote: »
    My boyfriend is a plasterer again with no qualifications but 10years experience.

im sorry to say love, without the bit of paper and qualifications he can't really call himself a plasterer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

He can actually he can apply to be recognized with his experience provided he reaches the requirements for his trade. i no someone who was in the exact same boat but was an electrician and he had to prove 72 months and 9000 hours which he could and he got recognized that way. so surely if an electrician can a plasterer should be able to.
    All the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    He can actually he can apply to be recognized with his experience provided he reaches the requirements for his trade. i no someone who was in the exact same boat but was an electrician and he had to prove 72 months and 9000 hours which he could and he got recognized that way. so surely if an electrician can a plasterer should be able to.
    All the best:)

Why doesn't he do that then? He is not recognised as a plasterer until he has the paper that says he is.

He should really do it or his prospects in Canada won't be very well.

The process i have described is what he has to do in Canada to get recognized.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

im sorry to say love, without the bit of paper and qualifications he can't really call himself a plasterer.

Try not to answer if ya font know what your talk in about. This kind of half arsed wrong advice people take as gospel

• Advertisement

Op i cant find your ohs trade on this link but please have a read in detail.
    http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/QUAL_WORK_EXP_GUIDE.PDF
    And here...http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/
    Happy reading Op:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Beancounter 2013

There are a couple of groups on Facebook (Irish families in Calgary) which are quite active and with a lot of trades who have moved recently so should be a good source of info. There are also some documents re various VISA types and procedures for application. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Try not to answer if ya font know what your talk in about. This kind of half arsed wrong advice people take as gospel

unless somebody is qualified in something, ie. a degree or apprentiship completed, in my mind (and a lot of others) they cant go around calling themselves a certain profession, regardless of experience.

i would be of the opinion that you need some sort of trade papers to prove you are of a certain trade. i can do some electrical work, i have worked at bits and pieces of it over the years but i dont or never would call myself an electrician.
    I have a degree which i use for my job and this is my profession.

Just cause someone has a cert does not mean they are qualified to do the job i have met many lads over the years who a first year in there trade would put them to shame but because of the good times and no shortage of work they were able to get registered. i myself have been ****ed around by the government and been left to rot on the dole with just a couple of months to do to get my papers i still class myself as and electrician because i have completed my 7 phases with flying colours, so if i can go to Canada and submit my details and they accept it great. fas are a disgrace what they have done to me and the other 6000 redundant apprentices. i was merely supplying the information to the op and let the Alberta industry training decide if he is suitable to there standards they require for the trade of plastering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

unless somebody is qualified in something, ie. a degree or apprentiship completed, in my mind (and a lot of others) they cant go around calling themselves a certain profession, regardless of experience.

i would be of the opinion that you need some sort of trade papers to prove you are of a certain trade. i can do some electrical work, i have worked at bits and pieces of it over the years but i dont or never would call myself an electrician.
    I have a degree which i use for my job and this is my profession.
    Nobody is talking about in your mind or in your opinion, we are talking about fact and Canadian requirements.
    I'm heading over as a construction worker also and my Irish trade papers are useless,what is required is proof that I have been working in my field for x amount of time,so like he said don't talk about something that you obviously know nothing about.

• Advertisement

Just cause someone has a cert does not mean they are qualified to do the job

eh sorry but, yes it does! a person has passed the required standards as in serving theirr time and the set standard exams, so a person is qualified!
    there are obviously going to be good, bad and indifferent tradesmen, but a person is qualified once they've seen out their time and passed all their exams!

however that is recognised or not in canada, i don't know. but i know in places like australia you have to be qualified fully in ireland and sit australian exams to get your trade recognised. saying, "oh ive worked for 10 years but never served out my time" isnt accepted.

cypressg wrote: »
    Nobody is talking about in your mind or in your opinion, we are talking about fact and Canadian requirements.
    I'm heading over as a construction worker also and my Irish trade papers are useless,what is required is proof that I have been working in my field for x amount of time,so like he said don't talk about something that you obviously know nothing about.

see my post about what is required in places like australia.
    it just seems strange to me that without trade papers stating you are qualified that you could be recognised in that trade in canada based on "experience" alone. for example, i wouldnt want an unqualified "electrician" wiring my house for me. but look, you seem to know what your taking about so best of luck with that.

Listen mate not getting into a debate here. when his experience is/if its counted he will have to do tests so its not exactly like he just says his experience and then is given a trade cert it will just allow him to have a chance to challenge the red seal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

however that is recognised or not in canada, i don't know.
    So why tell the OP that you did in fact know and give her the wrong answer?
    Actually don't answer that,thread has been derailed enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Didn't mean to start a debate on qualifications vs experience!! Thanks to all who have replied thus far. I really do appreciate any help.
    I've found a bit of info on Canadas National Occupation Classification (NOC) website about plastering roles. It appears that you must only hold a qualification to work as a plasterer in Quebec.

Taken from http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=7&val1=7284

Plasterer trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

1 question down 4 to go :D

Sorry lima golf for taking your thread off the topic i just trying to show that there are options for your oh to get his time counted and get a trade cert.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

Lima Golf wrote: »

1) Are we employable to work in similar fields to what we do now in canada? We have no qualifications but plenty experience.

2) Is there a way to extend our stay after the 2 year IEC visas as we would like to stay 3-5 years?

3) We are looking at Calgary or Edmonton in Alberta as there seems to be a lot of work in these areas and wages seem good. Would anyone recommend looking at another area?

4) How long did it take in the past for all the IEC visas to go after the applications came out? I'm just curious because we sent my boyfriends passport off for renewal today and can't apply until it comes back. Im aware the 2013 applications aren't out yet, but say they came out tomorrow for example, would the places fill up quickly?

And finally?
    5) We are together for 4 years and living together for 3 years so I guess we're common law husband and wife in Canadian terms. Do we apply as a couple of as individuals?

a plaster would pick up work quickly,always houses being renovated and updated.

1. i have come across loads of them type jobs on craigslist and "fujijii" websites there is plenty without qualifications.your experience working for public sector and your BF 10years would stand out.

2.after 2 years i presume its possible to extend but im unsure under what guidelines.

3.toronto maybe...alot of housing renovation works undertaken april-december

8-10 weeks it takes roughly. apply without hesitation as i predict demand will be strong,as there is also irish in oz applying for the IEC.

5.not sure as ye both have the same address,i wouldnt think any different to the visa application as ye are not married.

hope thats some help to you..

Sorry lima golf for taking your thread off the topic i just trying to show that there are options for your oh to get his time counted and get a trade cert.:)

No need for apologies justross! I almost took the bait myself when I was called "love" in the first post. The links you posted we're very helpful and will be of use to many in trades. Plastering is not listed on it as I have discovered you don't require a qualification to do it in Alberta, which is great news for himself!

Yea that is great news:)
    if you are both under 35 you should apply for the IEC visa which will give you up to 24 months in Canada and in that time you should be able to get sponsored in that time:)
    Ross

Listen mate not getting into a debate here. when his experience is/if its counted he will have to do tests so its not exactly like he just says his experience and then is given a trade cert it will just allow him to have a chance to challenge the red seal..

no problems at all butty. you've been very helpfull to me. If i cant find work myself with my degree and chartership in canada, i can always go down the electrical route, its good to know these things. cheers.

• Advertisement

no problems at all butty best of luck with it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I think a plasterer could do well:
    1. it's pretty much all dry wall in the last few years so a decent plasterer is a rare commodity in Canada and would be in demand for older homes.
    2.if he can plaster then drywall mudding etc. would be a piece of piss. I'd suggest posting on kijiji the minute he arrives to get a bit of work on the side and then just contact as many contractors as you can.

As for clerical work, best bet would be to contact all the employment agencies in the city. They should be able to set you up with something.

Good luck...and be ready to get comfortable with a snow shovel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ehenness

Hello Lima Golf

I live in Edmonton and I can tell you there are plenty of jobs here for both you and your BF. Here in Canada, experience is valued more than credentials a lot of the time so that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Based on the experiences of friends of mine, it seems the stickler for the qualifications is immigration. Employers, particularly in Alberta, don't seem to care as much as they are desparate for staff (in the trades). Trade qualifications are provincially regulated and immigration is federally regulated, so as you can imagine there are many bureaucratic loopholes. As for office staff, the jobs you have described yourself doing are generally not done by people with university degrees in Alberta, in my personal experience, so you won't have trouble with all of that experience under your belt.

If you want to extend your visas your best bet would be to go the LMO route or try applying for permanent residency.

Income relative to cost of living, I can assure you that you won't find anywhere better than Alberta.

Calgary is where a lot of the corporate head offices are for the oil companies. It is a wealthier city. Calgary is a 30 minute drive to the rockies (Canmore, Banff) if you like skiing and outdoorsy things. Since Calgary hosted the winter olympics in the late 80s they have better public transportation I think.

Edmonton is the capital of Alberta and has all of the government offices. Edmonton is also a big university city. Edmonton has a beautiful river valley and loads of festivals in the summer. Most oilpatch workers are based out of Edmonton and it has a 'new money' vibe to it. About a 4 hour drive to the rockies via Calgary. The whole city is under construction and there are lots of opportunities for young people to grow their careers.

You will be okay as a common law couple as long as you can prove you had common residence for at least 1 year (i.e. utility bills to a common address and such). I think if you live together less than 1 year in Alberta you are considered common law.

Keep in mind there are loads of fillipino Tim Hortons workers/Hotel workers that manage to get PR. So for people with work experience in a western country and fluent English it should be easier.

Thank you ehenness. Very informative reply and just what I wanted to hear :) So Alberta it is then...roll in the applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

i am a plasterer with 8 years experience and qualified, one of my friends has 9 years experience and has no papers but employers dont care, be different if you were a spark or a welder but as any guy with a week or two experience could hang drywall correctly they are pretty relaxed. there is no skimming here its all tape and jointing on the inside, and the outside finish is stucco, not the most pleasant of jobs:-) inside work is the way to go, as long as you work hard and turn up a plaster can make a decent wage here. hope that helps

Advertisement