Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Cooker

Options
  • 08-01-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have had to join the many and emigrate from Ireland so the house i own over there is now being rented. The cooker needs to be replaced with a new one and my letting agent says i need to get a spark to install it. Is this true? I rewired the house before i had to leave and put in a cooker junction box thingy (can't think of the name) after the 2P isolator switch. My dad would be highly competent to wire in the new one so i would prefer to get him to do it for me. Do any of you lads doing domestic installations know if it is a necessity that a spark carries out the work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

This is taken from page 12 of this document
    http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=886952c8-f9c5-4685-b5eb-782f0161b49d
    credit to liveandneutral for original link

Controlled Works are major electrical installation works (including additions,
    alterations and/or extensions) which are covered by the National Wiring Rules and
    which involve:

1. the installation, commissioning, inspection, and testing of a new fixed
    electrical installation requiring connection or reconnection to the electricity
    network;

2. the installation or replacement of a Distribution Board or Consumer Unit,
    or new installation in special locations as defined in Part 7 of the National
    Wiring Rules ET101 and ET105;

3. the installation or replacement of one or more extra circuits in an existing
    installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices
    for such circuits on a distribution board;

4. Subsystems installed in Commercial, Industrial, and Domestic installations
    where the installation falls within the remit of the National Wiring Rules;

5. the inspection, testing and certification of existing electrical installations
    (in accordance with Chapter 62 of the Wiring Rules (ET 101 –Fourth Edition-
    2008 and to conform with Regulation 89 of SI No 732 of 2007

This is the electrical work that legally needs to be certified which requires an electrician to complete the work.

I think that the cooker job falls outside the items on this list although there many be other regulations dealing with the renting of property that might make it necessary to get an electrician. If you ask the letting agent why it has to be an electrician, that might clear it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

Thanks for that Frank.. will get onto the letting agent.

Advertisement