Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and living in a canalboat?

• 08-01-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm looking into cheap workaround alternatives to buying a house.
    Ive noticed barges along the royal canal that seem to be permanently parked there and people seem to live in them..
    Anyone know anything about this? Legality-wise and so on

Also what do you need to be able to buy a field and live in a mobile-home or caravan on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

A friend of mine has owned and lived on a canal barge for about 12 years, no issues with legalities, many of them even have post boxes cared for by pub landlords while they are on the move, and you will notice that there are several communal areas where the congreate in the winter. Normally those areas are adjacent to pubs on the canals which were traditional rest areas when there were still working barges on the canals. Two issues you will need to aware of are access to clean water and electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lots of people do. I've several friends who live/have lived aboard. A very solid community. And when you move house, you really move house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Is there a set limit of barges allowed on a certain stretch of canal?
    Can you park up where ever you want within reason?
    Do you have to pay the OPW for using the canal?

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Is there a set limit of barges allowed on a certain stretch of canal?
    Can you park up where ever you want within reason?
    Do you have to pay the OPW for using the canal?

This might help you re fees etc

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/NewCanalPermitSy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

There's very little in terms of canals in Galway - although there is one stretch that is definitely canal - and a few milraces otherwise.

I don't suppose there would be any go on allowing canal boat moorings there??

• Advertisement
Advertisement