Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is your ESB bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

4-bed semi - last 3 bills with Bord Gais, electricity only, using oil for heating and have a gas hob......bought the large cylinder of gas about 2 years ago and its still lighting up!!

Dec 2012 €114.93
    Oct 2012 €92.15
    Aug 2012 €80.47
    Average electricity bill over 6 months €47.92 per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Czarcasm wrote: »
    A year ago I would've suggested you switch to bord gais. Nowadays though there's no difference between them and Electric Ireland in terms of cost savings. I wouldn't touch Airtricity with a forty foot barge pole.

That does seem excessively high though even for a bill during the winter months and not including heating in a one bedroom apartment!

I just moved to Airtricity.

Do they turn out to be more expensive?

My bill is an average of €140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

msbrobe wrote: »
    4-bed semi - last 3 bills with Bord Gais, electricity only, using oil for heating and have a gas hob......bought the large cylinder of gas about 2 years ago and its still lighting up!!

Dec 2012 €114.93
    Oct 2012 €92.15
    Aug 2012 €80.47
    Average electricity bill over 6 months €47.92 per month

Glad to see am not the only one with that kinda bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Got my Airtricity bill last week. €404 :eek:
    I nearly fell over.
    It's an estimated bill though and I think the person who did the estimate was taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

85 for dec/jan (meter read), 25-30 a month gas(water & central heating).

Don't like to use the heat(showers are nessicary though) as I hadn't been charged in six months for it until this month (turned out to be just 60 for the 6 months so now I'm not afraid to turn on the heat and I am expecting it to be around 25 a month).

Use a clothes horse for clothes as we have a dual washer dryer that doesn't actually dry.

I leave the TV and PS3 and UPC box on standby but everything else off whenever we are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We're with Electric Ireland and are disgusted with our bill, due for debit next week, it was 123 for what we used but with vat etc etc it comes to 172. I know it was for 2 months and included Christmas but ffs there's only the 2 of us:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Two bed house with just me and the missus, both out at work during the day. Changed all bulbs for energy savers, turn everything off when not using it and never use the immersion (Fire has a back boiler which heats water and rads) and our bill is usually about €80 for two months. On heating oil I paid €320 for half a tank on 22nd Nov and its still 1/4 full and have spent about €200 on briquettes in the same time (get 3 for a tenner in Naas - so fill the car boot every couple of weeks, at this moment I have 33 bales in the shed!). By keeping on top of usage you can keep bills down.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

My last ESB bill was €118 which covered the christmas period so not too bad, usually it's between €80 and €90 for a 2 bed apt but doesn't include heating. Gas (heating) bill eventually arrived today, a month late, and was, thankfully, only €65 with a read meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Bord Gais estimated bill last week for €246 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I just moved to Airtricity.

Do they turn out to be more expensive?

Hell yes, and just wait until you try to cancel them and switch back to the esb, f*cking nightmare! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

In or around €200 for a small one bed apartment every 2 months, last bill was about €235, but outside of the winter months it's about €180. Everyone tells me that's very high and they pay similar or less for a big house. Idk, I wouldn't say I'm particularly hard on electricity, rarely use the dryer, don't use the dish washer at all, I do use an electric fire more in the winter coz it's better at heating up the kitchen/living area than the gas, I can't overfill the kettle coz it leaks so I'm used to just putting on exactly how much water I want boiled, it's a small apartment so there aren't a ton of lights on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

LOS that is very high. I'm in a 4 bed apartment over 2 floors with heating and gas bill combined of €115 every 2 months on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

But this was a country that ran the Green party outa town, and laughed, heckled & bemoaned any mention of Green Energy, even though this would see these bills halved to say the least, and dare I mention, GASP, the environmental and sustainability benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

Witchie wrote: »
    Have a 5 bed house with 2 teenage sons, smartphones, playstations, laptops etc and my airtricity bill averages out about €90 every 2 months.

thats impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

One of the ways I cut back on the electricity was changing the halogen spot lights for LED's. I have 12 in the kitchen which equals 600 watts of electricity @ 50 watts each.

The LED's I bought give out the same light as a 50 watt halogen but are 3 watts each. This means I can light the whole kitchen for 36 watts instead of 600. This has saved me a packet, I have noticed it.

Good post, I have halogen lights in kitchen also, 4 x 50 watts. Can you get those LED lights anywhere?

b1964 wrote: »

thats impossible.

It's not. It's my reality. One son away in uni now but bills still about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just over €80 for 61 days (estimate) which is fairly low for my one bed at this time of year. Last year I was paying €120-130. I switched to Airtricity in the autumn, but I've also cut back on my heavy usage of the electric oven as well.

The next meter reading could tell a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3 of us in house share, semi-d, last bill (reading) €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Totally convinced we apartment dwellers are being constantly over charged by the electric companies at this stage its almost company policy to over charge apartment's , I've never had a sub 250e bill in the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

have gas and electricty with bord gais
    got an actual reading bill of 350 euro esb bill last monday week which followed on wednesday with a gas bill og 340 euro which followed a rubbish bill of 140euro all in the same week.some serious ring STING :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Both my elec and gas were over 200 for the christmass period. I'm feckin' broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Mine is usually around €160 for two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

corkcity wrote: »
    have gas and electricty with bord gais
    got an actual reading bill of 350 euro esb bill last monday week which followed on wednesday with a gas bill og 340 euro which followed a rubbish bill of 140euro all in the same week.some serious ring STING :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    That's fng rediculous , and yet the government is spending billions building wind farms here so people in the UK will get cheaper electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Just got the gas bill for the last two months, a read at €170. That's pretty good as it will be our worst gas bill of the year. My electricity is usually in and around 90/100 which also isn't too bad. I average out at about €150 a month for both, which I can't complain too much about, tbh.

Sorry, that should read €150 for 2 months average, considering the gas is never on from March - October.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

Gatling wrote: »
    That's fng rediculous , and yet the government is spending billions building wind farms here so people in the UK will get cheaper electricity
    dirty f**kers
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

lolli wrote: »
    Mine is usually around €160 for two months.

Yes mine had averaged around 130 to 140 every two months except for the last two bills, the first was 176 and I was very shocked, but realised it was an estimate so didn't worry too much. Then the latest was 205 which was an actual reading, I was NOT happy. talking to other family members and friends though, they all say there last bill was exceptionally high, price increases???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the amount of people that dont understand the way esimated bills work is actually funny. our January bill was €101 (elect and heating is one bill), but this was estimated and way way way off the correct mark.

the reality is, the meters which i check every few days have about another €400 on them. would expect that to come down over the following months once the heating is needed less and less.

but anybody that has a bill of €90 a month, is kidding themselves and in for a shock, when the meter is actually read.

what is killing us is the fact that 3 people have electric showers every day (they cost about €50-€60 per bill alone), then add in usage of the cooker, the washine machine and it all adds up.

Well it says my meter was read so.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Chinasea wrote: »
    But this was a country that ran the Green party outa town, and laughed, heckled & bemoaned any mention of Green Energy, even though this would see these bills halved to say the least, and dare I mention, GASP, the environmental and sustainability benefits.

and don't forget! brought us into a new dark age of taxation and regressive law reforms.Might i remind you of the beautifully executed proposal to ban vans on the road outside work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

but anybody that has a bill of €90 a month, is kidding themselves and in for a shock, when the meter is actually read.

I really don't get this. Most of the people here who have posted of bills in the region of 90 - 150 seem to be the ones who take readings themselves and monitor their elec/gas usage. So the bills of 90 - 150 would generally be accurate and the only shock that we get is when we get an estimated bill that's been estimated for much higher usage than what we usually use.

My example is my gas usage is usually around €50 but they estimated me a bill for €122. The actual reading would have given me a bill of 50 - 60. I checked the meter yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

3 bed semi d - 1 electric rad used couple times a week(as well as the gas)- gas hob elec oven - 5 people - €180 for Dec+Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

4 bed house with a home office so that my husband can work from home when he can. Got our ESB bill last week and it was 220 for the 2 months. Normally not that much but over Christmas would be at home more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Originally Posted by Chinasea
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    and don't forget! brought us into a new dark age of taxation and regressive law reforms.Might i remind you of the beautifully executed proposal to ban vans on the road outside work.

what new dark age of taxation? What regressive law reforms?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

3/4 bed terrace house spread over three floors. We pay about €10 per week for gas and ESB straight from our online banking and we are constantly in credit.

2 adults and a 2 year old.

House was built in 2006 so has a relatively decent gas boiler and timber frame with decent insulation. This year has been our lowest gas useage in a few years for some reason :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the amount of people that dont understand the way esimated bills work is actually funny. our January bill was €101 (elect and heating is one bill), but this was estimated and way way way off the correct mark.

the reality is, the meters which i check every few days have about another €400 on them. would expect that to come down over the following months once the heating is needed less and less.

what is killing us is the fact that 3 people have electric showers every day (they cost about €50-€60 per bill alone), then add in usage of the cooker, the washine machine and it all adds up.

Maybe people just take a proactive approach to their electricity useage? I'm the same with water, I know it's free for the moment but I still think its a shameful waste to leave taps running!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Theatricality and deception

Three bed house, latest bill was 380. Have a two year old so heating is on a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

carly_86 wrote: »

maybe you should change the electric plan your on that's a lot for a one bed flat

Thanks.im with electric Ireland and everytime i ring them and ask about the price they just say ah sure if you had gas it would probably be the same between the 2 and another person said sure we have seen worse for storage heaters :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patu

Just got my ESB and what a shock. We are 2 people in a 2 bedroom apt, never use bedroom 2 (so no heating no lights). We do have a timer in the bedroom for a wall mounted heater going 3 hours from 9 to 12 and 3 hours early morning 4 to 7. Another wall heater on in the living room going probably 4 hours in the evening (last year was used the same and amount to pay was ok) .Dishwasher, small one, once a day. Washing machine 1 every 3 days at 30degrees. Storage heating for the water during the night. Telly is switched off when not needed, only at evening. Laptop sometimes is left plugged in. Appliances plugge in: nespresso (which turns off after 15 minutes), toaster, kettle.

A whooping 465.26!! :mad: Highest last year was 250 (read) The one this time has been read as well. I'm gutted since i don't think i misuse electricity and switch off lights when not needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

patu wrote: »
    Just got my ESB and what a shock. We are 2 people in a 2 bedroom apt, never use bedroom 2 (so no heating no lights). We do have a timer in the bedroom for a wall mounted heater going 3 hours from 9 to 12 and 3 hours early morning 4 to 7. Another wall heater on in the living room going probably 4 hours in the evening (last year was used the same and amount to pay was ok) .Dishwasher, small one, once a day. Washing machine 1 every 3 days at 30degrees. Storage heating for the water during the night. Telly is switched off when not needed, only at evening. Laptop sometimes is left plugged in. Appliances plugge in: nespresso (which turns off after 15 minutes), toaster, kettle.

A whooping 465.26!! :mad: Highest last year was 250 (read) The one this time has been read as well. I'm gutted since i don't think i misuse electricity and switch off lights when not needed

Sounds excessive for the use you have described. I presume you'll be investigating further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

5 bedroom house with 4 other guys (i.e. nobody cooks much) and occasional girlfriends costs €170 approx... some of you guys' bills are just crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

hames wrote: »
    5 bedroom house with 4 other guys (i.e. nobody cooks much) and occasional girlfriends costs €170 approx... some of you guys' bills are just crazy.

The big bills are going to be cooking, washing clothes, dishwasher and showers.

That tells its own story....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

hames wrote: »
    and occasional girlfriends costs €170 approx

There not called girlfriends ... :D

patu wrote: »

Storage heaters are the biggy on that bill. You are heating an unused room for 6 hours every day? Not all at night rate either.

Dont know if its been mentioned already, but you can get a meter from theESB, its small about the size of a big mac box (ish). You just get credit, like you would for a mobile phone. Now its no cheaper, but what it does do is save you from collapsing with shock at the size of the bill that lands on the mat :)

Ye just pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

248.61e nov 24th to jan 24th. i just paid it. electric ireland. i have the old system, bill every 2 months, can pay it on time or let it go a while.
    i am following the system my parents had here in the house which i now live in with my hubbie, no kids. at xmas we had 2 guests for a week so heating on extra, also had xmas tree etc. so am happy overall, it could be worse??? am i foolish to stay with the old bill system with electric ireland ( i still call it ESB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Storage heaters are the biggy on that bill. You are heating an unused room for 6 hours every day? Not all at night rate either.

Yup, I had a (two-monthly) bill about that amount some two winters ago too, all thanks to heating.

Boy, did I wise up quickly after that! :D

Cold? Throw another jumper on.

The bill I got yesterday is E 66.03.

^^^ some difference!

My bills average about 180 every 2 months. Before christmas, I told my 2 teenage daughters that the tumble dryer was broken. Little do they know I took the fuse out of the plug! Hoping to see a difference once the meter has been read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

2 People in a 2 bed room apartment: 50€ a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My bill was 289 euro for the last 2 months.
    Very high but the missus is a cold creature and she always has heaters on even with the oil-fired central heating.
    Far too high even with cold weather.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement