Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is your ESB bill?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Last one over 300, only have electric heating in house.
    Hope it gets warmer soon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Mine is €160 for the past two months. One bed apt. Ridiculous. It was an actual reading this month as opposed to estimated for the past while. It's the storage heating. I have it set for main use at nighttime so my night units are almost quadruple the day units. Wish I could do without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

patu wrote: »
    Just got my ESB and what a shock. We are 2 people in a 2 bedroom apt, never use bedroom 2 (so no heating no lights). We do have a timer in the bedroom for a wall mounted heater going 3 hours from 9 to 12 and 3 hours early morning 4 to 7. Another wall heater on in the living room going probably 4 hours in the evening (last year was used the same and amount to pay was ok) .Dishwasher, small one, once a day. Washing machine 1 every 3 days at 30degrees. Storage heating for the water during the night. Telly is switched off when not needed, only at evening. Laptop sometimes is left plugged in. Appliances plugge in: nespresso (which turns off after 15 minutes), toaster, kettle.

A whooping 465.26!! :mad: Highest last year was 250 (read) The one this time has been read as well. I'm gutted since i don't think i misuse electricity and switch off lights when not needed

I have a 4 bed bungalow. Average €180 per 2 months. I'm with Bord Gaise. Your heaters, all of them, are the biggest offenders. I know you have to have heat. Do you also have a water pump, cutting in, every time you turn on a tap ?. You should request a meter check. ESB will put a monitor on your meter , for a week, and then return to check it, and give you the results. Never the less, I would seriously consider switching, to, Bord Gaise or Airtricity. Its painless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Got our's yesterday,we were €85 in credit & it was still €264 :( , 3 bed apt with me,the other half,two teenagers & a baby
    Bloody storage heating is crap so you end up putting the heat on higher in the evening,the water pump going every time you turn on the water also doesn't help

There is definitely a pattern on this thread. Those with the highest bills mostly have storage heating systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My bill was 289 euro for the last 2 months.
    Very high but the missus is a cold creature and she always has heaters on even with the oil-fired central heating.
    Far too high even with cold weather.

Tell her to put an extra coat on :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

There is definitely a pattern on this thread. Those with the highest bills mostly have storage heating systems.

Take note folks. Thanks Strawberry M !

Actually, here's a question. I'm very good about paying my ESB bill before the date given on the bill. However, that may not happen this month. Will anything happen if I'm a few days late or will they just send a reminder notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

tomboylady wrote: »
    Actually, here's a question. I'm very good about paying my ESB bill before the date given on the bill. However, that may not happen this month. Will anything happen if I'm a few days late or will they just send a reminder notice?

You'll be grand. Don't sweat it :)

And it is very easy to reduce your bills if you just try a little bit.
    Turn stuff off and storage heaters are the most expensive heating system.
    Just think a little bit about what you're doing.

srsly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

2 bedroom apt, last bill was around 140 euro (for 2 months) which was the highest we have ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NewGrad

1 bedroom apartment, generally one person using electricity, Euro 100 every 2 months.

I know that my problem is the storage heaters because when I turn them off in the summer my bill slips to around €50 for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

€264! Sadface! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Wow .... this is an interesting thread - people in well insulated modern homes with VERY high electricity charges, and some not so high? I live in a very old cottage in the midlands (SIBERIA) - last ESB bill I got (two month period) Eur500:eek::eek:. Usually it was around Eur260 every two months. I called them and told them I wanted a pay-as-you-go meter because I couldn't understand the charges. After much insistence, I got one and now at least I can monitor what I'm using and we definitely turn things off every day keep an eye on it. No BIG BILLS again TG!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Have a three bedroom in Dublin but I'm mostly based in Galway these days. I'm home for the weekend roughly every 2 weeks. Just got a three month bill for 295. I'm stunned cos basically I'm hardly ever there.

• Advertisement

That's mad wattle.

I live in a 3 bed. Teenage daughters in the other 2 bedrooms. 3-4 electric showers every day, hair dryers, straighteners, tv's, laptops on the go every evening and I cook on an electric cooker/oven every day. Not to mention the clothes washing!

Bills 180ish every 2 months and that is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Wattle wrote: »
    Have a three bedroom in Dublin but I'm mostly based in Galway these days. I'm home for the weekend roughly every 2 weeks. Just got a three month bill for 295. I'm stunned cos basically I'm hardly ever there.
    Check your meter against the meter reading they have on your bill if it's an estimate. I was over estimated by €230 a couple of years ago and about €150 about six months ago. Needless to say We always either check it now or submit our readings online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Yep it sounds totally wrong. I can understand using a fair few units over Christmas but really given the amount of time I'm actually there it should be about half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

288 - thought that was high, I seem to be turning into my auld fella, wandering around the house turning off lights and muttering to myself when I hear drier on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

€70-85 every 2 months - live alone in a 1 bed apartment. I'm very slow to put the storage heaters on, more likely to throw another hoody on or another blanket on the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My ESB Bills for the last 12 months totalled just over €2400, which I'm pretty happy with

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

356euro for two months in a one bed flat, I nearly collapsed when I opened it.

I'm no longer friends with my electric heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Usual esb bill would be between 600 and 700 per billing period.
    But then that does include farm usage also.

Theres only one winner in this game folks. Ever get the feeling you've been had?

That's mad wattle.

I live in a 3 bed. Teenage daughters in the other 2 bedrooms. 3-4 electric showers every day, hair dryers, straighteners, tv's, laptops on the go every evening and I cook on an electric cooker/oven every day. Not to mention the clothes washing!

Bills 180ish every 2 months and that is high.

No, that is low. Either your usage description is exaggerated, your system is faulty, or old (that can give u cheap electricity) or you're in for one hell of a bak dated bill.

Stay warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Kettleson wrote: »

No, that is low. Either your usage description is exaggerated, your system is faulty, or old (that can give u cheap electricity) or you're in for one hell of a bak dated bill.

Stay warm
    Mine is generally around €160,give or take a couple of €'s. 4 bedroom house, appliances constantly going, electric cooker, also, brand new house. We submit our readings most months and that's what it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Quazzie wrote: »
    My ESB Bills for the last 12 months totalled just over €2400, which I'm pretty happy with
    That's €200 per month!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's €200 per month!!
    It's the only bill I have. Its my heating, cooking, all hot water, etc. Its a 3000 sqft house and it's a new build so traditionally a new build takes longer and costs more to heat in its first year so I'm confident it will be reduced by approximately 10% for the next year.

Kettleson wrote: »

Stay warm

Just got bill in last week which was calculated from meter reading. That bill was €199 and so many cents. So it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

Over the past 12 months on average €120 per month, looking at some of the replies, its a little high. Immersion timed (with an external thermostat)and dryer being used a lot over the winter. Energy efficient lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Our last bill was just over €300, and we don't use it for heating. The standing charge & PSO Levy (incl. VAT) accounts for €33.29 of that

I just used the Electric Ireland app to check the cost of domestic appliances. The electric shower is the killer; it's 9,800 watts and the calculator says at 60 minutes a day (there are four of us in the house, so that's a pretty reasonable estimate) it's estimating €95.31 per bill.

I have one daughter who is quite capable of spending an hour in the shower if she's not being nagged to hurry up. She's going to be nagged a lot more often from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just got told we have twice the amount of electricity flowing into our apartment and to contact our landlord ,typically ESB its not our problem but we will happily keep charing for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Just totalled up my elec bils for 2012, €1220 for the year, 3 bed, 110m2 house. Gas heating, electric cooker, partner that wont hang out the washing so uses the dryer all the time. Id say that’s about average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just moved out of three bed house where our last bill was close to €500, caused by 2 housemates constantly running the immersion AND the heating at the same time, for HOURS AND HOURS.

I am relieved I will no longer be subsiding their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

anamara86 wrote: »
    It was a reading, that's what has me puzzled!

Maybe they underestimated the last two bills, most companies only read the meter once a quater.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement