Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bradford City vs Aston Villa LC Semi Final first leg SS1 19:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Fúcking disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,115 ✭✭✭✭listermint

depressed watching this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Eathrin wrote: »
    Fúcking disgraceful

****ing awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm going to preempt the final whistle.

Congrats to Bradford, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Shocking defending from Villa.

For all their individual potential, those lads desperately need an older head in there. Utter panic whenever the ball is around the Villa box...

No organization. No positional sense. No composure.

Terrible. It's too small a word.

CMON, what a result. Makes it really interesting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

****ing awesome!

Well done mate, change of underpants on the cards I'd imagine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

"You can't win anything with kids"

This is what Alan Hansen was talking about.

Villa have some talent up top.

Bar that they are a relegation side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What a game, Bradford destroyed Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Poor auld Lambert couldn't look the other manager in the eye when they shook hands.

I worry for Villa; that's the performance of a team with serious confidence issues. No team is too good to go down, and Villa have to be relegation candidates now.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Well done mate, change of underpants on the cards I'd imagine :pac:

running out at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

@themichaelowen: What a game this is. Bradford are on fire!

Awful choice of phrase :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Proud night to be a football fan from Donegal!

Everyone loves an underdog story! :D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Awful choice of phrase :o

sure it wasnt meant but not a nice one to bring up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Any Villa fan having to watch them over the past 2 months shouldnt be extremely shocked. Absolutely atrocious on every level. 3 man midfield and kept hitting the ball long - defies belief to be honest.

Corholio wrote: »
    Any Villa fan having to watch them over the past 2 months shouldnt be extremely shocked. Absolutely atrocious on every level. 3 man midfield and kept hitting the ball long - defies belief to be honest.

gotta be 2 up top for the 2nd leg

Corholio wrote: »

Cmon though theres shocked and theres 4 divisions in the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did Graham Burke actually touch the ball? But yeah, bringing him on instead of Ireland was a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

****ing awesome!

Congrats :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

CSF wrote: »
    Did Graham Burke actually touch the ball? But yeah, bringing him on instead of Ireland was a great idea.
    Was Bent injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was Bent injured?
    Maybe, even if he was, jig it around a bit and bring on an actual quality (who should have been starting in the first place) player rather than a nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Saw Villa play 3 years ago and surmised that they were rotten. On the day they somehow got a point at Chelsea and some glowing reviews in the press. Wondered if the reporters actually saw the game.

So here we are 3 years later and they're getting thumped by a team 3 divisions below following a steady decline since.
    If they overcome this and get Chelsea in the final, I expect that they won't be getting a draw this time.

Other than Paul Lambert, who seems decent enough, there's not much that they have about them at all.
    So long Villa. I reckon you'll be heading to the Championship and no loss to the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Pal wrote: »
    Saw Villa play 3 years ago and surmised that they were rotten. On the day they somehow got a point at Chelsea and some glowing reviews in the press. Wondered if the reporters actually saw the game.

So here we are 3 years later and they're getting thumped by a team 3 divisions below following a steady decline since.
    If they overcome this and get Chelsea in the final, I expect that they won't be getting a draw this time.

Other than Paul Lambert, who seems decent enough, there's not much that they have about them at all.
    So long Villa. I reckon you'll be heading to the Championship and no loss to the Premier League.
    :confused: Not much of that makes much sense, especially the bolded piece.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    :confused: Not much of that makes much sense, especially the bolded piece.

It shouldnt make sense, appears to be a disgruntled chelsea supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Disgruntled Chelsea supporter, what would that have to do with it ?

I don't dislike Villa, but if you would ask around in England I don't think many people either like or dislike Villa.

They're just one of those clubs nobody really cares about, a bit like (for me personally) Reading or Wigan.

They're just there to make up the numbers and them getting relegated won't mean much to anyone (bar their own fans, obviously).

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Disgruntled Chelsea supporter, what would that have to do with it ?

I don't dislike Villa, but if you would ask around in England I don't think many people either like or dislike Villa.

They're just one of those clubs nobody really cares about, a bit like (for me personally) Reading or Wigan.

They're just there to make up the numbers and them getting relegated won't mean much to anyone (bar their own fans, obviously).

Ridiculous statement. Actually why am i typing a response. i really dont know ?

to call you on your ridiculous statement probably.

listermint wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement. Actually why am i typing a response. i really dont know ?

to call you on your ridiculous statement probably.

It's my opinion, can't really be bothered if you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Comparing Villa to Reading or Wigan is ridiculous.

Of course the Premier League would be worse off without them.

They should be challenging for the top 6 every season.

They should be challenging for the top 6 every season.

On what basis ?
    Genuine question.

On what basis ?

Longevity, history , fan size.

Take your pick.

• Advertisement

On what basis ?
    Genuine question.

4th most successful English club in history. Former European Champions (without the backing of a Russian billionaire). They're a massive club and certainly not on a par with the likes of Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

4th most successful English club in history. Former European Champions (without the backing of a Russian billionaire). They're a massive club and certainly not on a par with the likes of Wigan.

How many thousand seats is the average attendence short of the capacity at Villa Park?
    Celtic, Utd, Liverpool and Forest all won the European Cup without billionaire backing (as did Ipswich with the UEFA Cup). It was a different era.
    Villa should be much bigger in theory, but you have to go back to the early years of the Premiership to find a season where they were significant factor

In that context, I think they aren't a club to stir the emotions these days. Outside of their fanbase you'll struggle to find people actively rooting for or against them.

It's possible to dig up though. Spurs had slipped into the forgettable category for a few years but have fought back to relevancy. It can be done.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Celtic, Utd, Liverpool and Forest all won the European Cup without billionaire backing

And they are all big clubs...
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Villa should be much bigger in theory, but you have to go back to the early years of the Premiership to find a season where they were significant factor

In that context, I think they aren't a club to stir the emotions these days. Outside of their fanbase you'll struggle to find people actively rooting for or against them.

A significant factor for what exactly? Title challengers? The poster compared them to Reading and Wigan. I said they should be in or around the top 6 every season, challenging for the European places, which they mostly have been. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here? That they have slipped into the same category as the above mentioned clubs is it? Because that's nonsense.

2ntyetg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How in Gods name can people compare Villa to Reading or Wigan. Short memories for some

How in Gods name can people compare Villa to Reading or Wigan. Short memories for some

Short memories ?

The last time they won something of significance I wasn't even born :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just don't get how people would have an attitude of just dismissing teams as not interesting.

For me thats a form of fairweather fan who will tell you who plays for the Champion's league teams but hasn't the first clue about any other club.

Short memories ?

Stats speak for themselves

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/all-time-table/10-year

lets go back further

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9285238/The-all-time-20-year-Premier-League-table.html

And tbh i dont know any other supporter amongst my circle that doesnt have a soft spot for Villa. (between liverpool / united / arsenal supporters)

Sorry, but a few nice league positions doesn't mean much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

You're only 15 years old? Explains a lot.

You're only 15 years old? Explains a lot.

Figured someone would mention that.

You clash an Intertoto Cup amongst significant victories ?

I guess ambition is different for some people.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but a few nice league positions doesn't mean much...

Sorry but you are clearly born in the 90s if you cant see how big the club is. Anyway this is a ridiculous conversation to be having with an 15 year old. I bid you adieu

Typical, lose the debate and start throwing insults around.

Like I said, the only thing they won since I was born was an Intertoto Cup in 2001 and 2 League Cups.
    Oh, and some decent league positions.

I didn't even start this debate to cause trouble, but seems like I hit a nerve.

Figured someone would mention that.

You clash an Intertoto Cup amongst significant victories ?

I guess ambition is different for some people.

Eh, Intertoto? No, not signifcant. And Villa didn't win that in 96 as far as I know. Won it in 2001.

Won the League Cup in 96.

Like I said, the only thing they won since I was born was an Intertoto Cup in 2001 and 2 League Cups.

Its not a debate you compared them to Wigan and reading and said no one would miss them.

Your x2 main arguements were torn apart and now you think we are concentrating on your age as an arguement. When in fact it may be your age limiting the fact that you have been shown they cannot be compared to wigan or reading..

back to the drawing board for you sir.

Torn apart ?

You posted some table which showed that Villa finished in some decent positions once.
    And they also won some smaller trophies a while ago ago.

None of that has disproven me what so ever.

But if you believe you're supporting a massive club I won't hold that against you, to each their own.

Torn apart ?

You posted some table which showed that Villa finished in some decent positions once.

But if you believe you're supporting a massive club I won't hold that against you, to each their own.

Where did anyone say massive?

Torn apart ?

Who said massive ? you did.

I showed you OVERALL stats for the last 10 and 20 years that show villa have been in the top 10 OVERALL for the last 10 and 20 years.

Why do you want me to show you so that you can see that villa are not the same as wigan and reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OK name 10 clubs in England who have a better record overall in the last 15 years.

listermint wrote: »
    Who said massive ? you did.

I showed you OVERALL stats for the last 10 and 20 years that show villa have been in the top 10 OVERALL for the last 10 and 20 years.

Why do you want me to show you so that you can see that villa are not the same as wigan and reading.

Actually you'll find it was BetterCallSaul.

Honestly, do you not see that overall stats of the last 10 and 20 years mean nothing in the current debate ?

Yes, they may have won titles and a European Cup almost 30 years ago, but that has no bearing on their current state.

By the way, I never said that they're the same as Reading and Wigan trophy wise, but more about the general perception that fans of other teams have.

• Advertisement

Actually you'll find it was BetterCallSaul.

Honestly, do you not see that overall stats of the last 10 and 20 years mean nothing in the current debate ?

Yes, they may have won titles and a European Cup almost 30 years ago, but that has no bearing on their current state.

By the way, I never said that they're the same as Reading and Wigan trophy wise, but more about the general perception that fans of other teams have.

What teams would you miss if they were relegated?

Advertisement