Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litte experience, problem with WordPress, help appreciated

• 08-01-2013 8:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For 2013, I decided to write a blog on Word Press but I have hit an issue when trying to get Google Analytics sorted. Form what I can see, there are a few ways to get it working.

I have a google analytics account set up and need to link my blog to my analytics acccount, but I am having a major problem.

I am supposed to have 2 ways of linking the account. The first option is to paste the code directly into my home page, close to the footer. However, for some reason WordPress won't allow me to Edit my landing page. The option has disappeared from the dashboard. I started a test blog and the edit function is there. I have taken out all widgets and returned the blog to Twenty Eeven theme (as per advice I found) but nothing seems to get back the option to edit. Other received advice was...

"resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin? Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems." ...I have no idea what this means???

Also... http://wordpress.org/support/topic/dashboard-is-incomplete-cannot-edit-pages

The second option is to install the actual widget. However, it seems to state that I should have WordPress actually installed on my PC?

Sorry if this is obvious but I am totally lost here...I can provide all data you request. Was up until 2am last night trying to figure this out and another 3 hours today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Hey there! Try installing this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-analyticator/. That should do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

install a meta tag generator plugin and a google analytics plugin.

this way you can create the meta tag that GA verifies your website against, and also it will help you add the tracking code to every page on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Is your site self-hosted? If so, you can open the header.php file through Appearance > Editor and paste the Google code in there just before the closing </head> tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Flimbos wrote: »
    Is your site self-hosted? If so, you can open the header.php file through Appearance > Editor and paste the Google code in there just before the closing </head> tag.

Avoid changing any core files - your edit's will be undone the next time the theme is updated.

The plugin solution previously suggested is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Hey there! Try installing this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-analyticator/. That should do it!
    i just changed one of my sites to this. its excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

fcrossen wrote: »
    Avoid changing any core files - your edit's will be undone the next time the theme is updated.

The plugin solution previously suggested is the way to go.

I forgot to mention if you're changing core files, to copy the theme and rename it - you wouldn't benefit from theme updates then of course.

But if there is a plugin available for this, this could be the way to go for you.

Flimbos wrote: »
    I forgot to mention if you're changing core files, to copy the theme and rename it - you wouldn't benefit from theme updates then of course.

You can use a child theme to avoid this problem: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

but a plugin is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Another clean way I saw recently of doing this is to add some code to your functions file (in your theme) to amend the footer. Negates the need for a plugin (which you have to activate/deactivate, and manage updates for).

http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/how-to-hook-into-the-footer/

PS: this tutorial mentions a plugin, but you can just as easily put the custom function in your functions.php file (as of Wordpress 3.0). Also, ensure your theme calls the wp_footer.

Another clean way I saw recently of doing this is to add some code to your functions file (in your theme) to amend the footer. Negates the need for a plugin (which you have to activate/deactivate, and manage updates for).

Yes, but use a child theme (for reasons outlines above).

Advertisement