Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preserved Stuff Thread

• 08-01-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Can i ask would anyone know what the future plans are for the Irish Traction Group locomotives that are stored at Moyasta, are they all in working order .

Comments

124 and 190 should still be working. 152 has one of its cabs disassembled but could be reassembled if need be. A3R has a problem with its cooling fan I believe - it's been ongoing for years. C231 I'm not sure of, its engine was started about 10 years ago but I don't think she'll move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Karsini wrote: »
    124 and 190 should still be working. 152 has one of its cabs disassembled but could be reassembled if need be. A3R has a problem with its cooling fan I believe - it's been ongoing for years. C231 I'm not sure of, its engine was started about 10 years ago but I don't think she'll move.

Weren't 190 and 152 joined up together on the ballast trains for a long time not long before they were withdrawn.I remember it being parked in the siding in Carlow working the Waterford line for a while.

It would be great to see 124 up and running again

Rud wrote: »
    Weren't 190 and 152 joined up together on the ballast trains for a long time not long before they were withdrawn.I remember it being parked in the siding in Carlow working the Waterford line for a while.

It would be great to see 124 up and running again

Yep, they were. 152 fell victim to a runaway incident at the end and was stopped for brake repairs which were never completed, hence why the cab was dismantled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Karsini wrote: »
    152 fell victim to a runaway incident at the end and was stopped for brake repairs which were never completed, hence why the cab was dismantled.

Do you have any more info about 152's runaway. Was it similar to what happened 191 by any chance?

From the ITG's site they say that while 152 can be finished and returned to working order, it's main role for the time being is to act as a source of spare parts for the other locos.

I'd love to see 124 and 134 back together again working a joint effort rail tour. That would be a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

No loco at Moyasta can be in working order, given they are under wraps and haven't been started for, at least, three years. 124 and 190 would (in theory) be the "easiest" to get working again, as they were shut down and stored, rather than develop a fault and get set aside. I say "easiest" in inverted commas, as I would imagine it would not be too handy having to refill the cooling system, then finding the seals have perished and there's leaks. Nor would finding charged batteries be too handy, and you'd probably have to buy new ones at this stage. Then you'd still have to check over the rest, and hope that everything is still working. To be honest, I'd think you'd also have to stick it inside to let the electrics dry out, before attempting to start it. So, I wouldn't expect to see any blue smoke any time soon...

As far as I know, WCR are still pursuing the museum building at Moyasta, which is tied to the narrow gauge road crossing of the main Kilrush - Kilkee road. So the official hoops for the overall project are a bit harder to jump through, but the process grinds on, as I understand it from someone who was down there before Christmas. The ITG locos will be displayed in that building, as and when.

• Advertisement

Do you have any more info about 152's runaway. Was it similar to what happened 191 by any chance?

Well it wasn't an act of sabotage, all I know it was a brake fault. Knowing the state of the 141s in their latter days it could have been due to lack of maintenance but don't quote me on that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

The two incidents were not related. As far as I recall, 191 was stabled, unattended but ticking over, in North Wall. It was believed a local youth or youths got on board and managed to get it moving, then let it go. It managed to get as far as Clonsilla, where the signalman diverted it into the headshunt at the (then) end of the down line, where it hit one of those old concrete buffer stops, which did enough damage to cause its withdrawal. I understood that 152 was being driven, but had a brake fault and failed to slow in the usual manner, but the driver stopped it eventually, rather further on than he originally intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Temp101 wrote: »
    The two incidents were not related. As far as I recall, 191 was stabled, unattended but ticking over, in North Wall. It was believed a local youth or youths got on board and managed to get it moving, then let it go. It managed to get as far as Clonsilla, where the signalman diverted it into the headshunt at the (then) end of the down line, where it hit one of those old concrete buffer stops, which did enough damage to cause its withdrawal. .

That's not what happened to her; that's all I'll say in public on the matter ;)

That's not what happened to her; that's all I'll say in public on the matter ;)

This is what happened to 191.
    The yard had been built on a fairyfort. Divers knew they had to sound the hooter at a certain point in the yard. Anyway that day there was a new young fella on who didn't believe in such things and you can guess what happened sure didn't the faries curse the locomotive's s F1 selector valve. They had to take the bogies off it in Inchicore sure wasn't it still fond of wandering around on full moons with the curse of the faries still upon it. No driver would go near it after that. I knew a driver who went at it and he woke up dead.

See here for a BR cursed loco.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=39853

Why do you think IE stopped all those 201s. Cursed ever one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The ITG, like most preservation groups, generally publish any plans in their members journal, might be worth signing up if you're interested in keeping up to date on their plans.
    Fratello wrote: »
    This is what happened to 191.
    The yard had been built on a fairyfort. Divers knew they had to sound the hooter at a certain point in the yard. Anyway that day there was a new young fella on who didn't believe in such things and you can guess what happened sure didn't the faries curse the locomotive's s F1 selector valve. They had to take the bogies off it in Inchicore sure wasn't it still fond of wandering around on full moons with the curse of the faries still upon it. No driver would go near it after that. I knew a driver who went at it and he woke up dead.

See here for a BR cursed loco.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=39853

Why do you think IE stopped all those 201s. Cursed ever one of them.

To be fair... that makes more sense than a lot of personal theories I've read when it comes to transport based discussions! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

So what did happen to 191 then?What is the official line?That some young lad(s) got in and let it runaway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DannyGrey wrote: »
    Can i ask would anyone know what the future plans are for the Irish Traction Group locomotives that are stored at Moyasta, are they all in working order .

they are going to sit in a field rusting away for the next 20 years until there is nothing left that'll work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

These threads always end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rud wrote: »
    So what did happen to 191 then?What is the official line?That some young lad(s) got in and let it runaway?

Access it's TELOC log under FOI for the real answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

or you could just tell people and stop being cryptic

From a quick google there are two stories:
    1) local scumbag set it off as detailed in this thread
    2) it somehow managed to go by itself.

I think the first is a little more believable tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It doesn't have one, plus IE does not fall under FOI anyway

Advertisement